1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Campaign] Chasing the Dawn

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Elf_Lord, Aug 3, 2015.

?

What sort of ending should Part II have?

1. Canon - end the campaign at Part II, maybe a bonus mission to wrap up

9.2%
  2. Canon - have a Part III from a different character's perspective

65.5%
  3. Non-Canon - continue with an Abbendis-centric Part III

25.3%
  1. Elf_Lord

Elf_Lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've done some minor recolors and stuff on the UI (you can see it starting with the Mission 2 screenshots) but there's not really a good full Scarlet Crusade UI retexture out there, or at least I haven't found one. If you run across one, please let me know.

Anyhow, I meant to have a demo done by now, honestly, and I'm only one mission out from an alpha release of the first part of the campaign, but I've spent the past week or so tweaking the AI on Mission 3 and making Icecrown doodads for later sections of the campaign and just haven't made much progress on Chapter 5. Hopefully in the next week or so I'll be back on track.

IcecrownWalls.jpg

So this wall here is the closest thing I've made to progress (along with a few odds and ends, like a brazier and a spike gate like in the Wrathgate cutscene). I am still working on this; I just got sidetracked because I was excited I actually made a cool-looking model.

2. Elf_Lord

Elf_Lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Okay, I just thought I should post something as an update, considering I feel like I haven't made much progress lately. I encountered a really bad AI glitch a week or two ago that basically made the AI stop functioning after two attack waves (which is unfortunate, to say the least), and the cause of it turned out to be really difficult to diagnose, but as of last night the issue has been corrected and I am back on track. Chapters 1-4 are all finished and completely playable; Mission 5 and the bonus Forsaken mission are both in production right now. I apologize for the delay.

3. Morris

Morris

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good to see you
    are you going to release a demo?

4. Elf_Lord

Elf_Lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    As soon as all the Lordaeron missions are done, yessir, I am. The game caching should be compatible with future releases as well, so you should be able to play the Lordaeron section in this demo and skip straight to the Dragonblight missions with the next release (though I have no idea when the second release will occur). The Lordaeron demo will include the prologue cinematic "The Calling", missions 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 of the campaign, and the Lordaeron-Dragonblight interlude cinematic "Silence," all with custom voice-acting for at the very least Mograine, Whitemane, and Velonara (voice-acting for Abbendis and Landgren will not be done until I have fully scripted the entire campaign) and a bonus mission called "The Red Queen" in which the player gets a chance to play the Forsaken and fight for the Scarlet Monastery, which I'm not sure I'll include in the final release but have designed for the demo because of a request earlier in the thread to get to play races other than just the Scarlet Crusade. I'm hoping to release the demo sometime in the next two weeks now that my AI troubles seem to be over.

5. PackieMagnatar

PackieMagnatar

Resources:
    Resources:
    This looks very professional man, I always wanted to play a campaign that somehow tell the story of the human survivors of lordaeron after arthas became mad. Looking forward to this, good luck! :):)

6. Elf_Lord

Elf_Lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thank you very much! I'm excited to be working on this. I always love to take the villains of a story and give everyone a new look into them, and the Scarlet Crusade is perfect for that.

7. Elf_Lord

Elf_Lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    To celebrate the beginning of Chasing the Dawn's first round of voice acting, here's a little preview of what is to come. A big thank you to all the wonderful people who have given their time to helping me bring these characters to life (a list of voice credits will be released with the Lordaeron demo)!
    Character Profile: Velonara
    Class: Dark Ranger
    Allegiance: Dark Ranger Corps (Forsaken)
    Appearance: Chapter 2 - Taking Our Due
    Once a proud Farstrider of Quel'Thalas, Velonara stood before the Elf-Gates of Silvermoon alongside Ranger-General Sylvanas Windrunner against the Scourge invasion. Now a Dark Ranger, she continues to serve as one of Sylvanas's most trusted lieutenants, tasked with safeguarding the Dark Lady's kingdom from within and without. Her most recent assignment has been the subjugation of the Scarlet Crusade's forces at the Scarlet Monastery, the last bastion of Scarlet might in Tirisfal and the last real threat to the Dark Lady's sovereignty in the region. This is a task that Velonara does not take lightly, and one to which she will devote the entirety of her wicked cunning and Elven woodsmanship, not to mention the power of the Forsaken's insidious Dark Ranger Corps.
    [​IMG]
    Picture courtesy of wowwiki.com - Attributed to the Warcraft Trading Card Game
    Velonara Preview.mp3
    Velonara Preview 2.mp3

Attached Files:

8. mewgon2

mewgon2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Your project is one of the most interesting and innovative one in this website but I have some questions : Why is there not an aerial unit for the Scarlet Crusade? If you do not have one try this :

Attached Files:

9. Elf_Lord

Elf_Lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The Scarlet Crusade does have an air unit called the Wind Lancer - it uses this model and can toggle between air and ground modes. However, thank you for the model.

10. Elf_Lord

Elf_Lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Okay, this is just a progress update. The bonus mission is basically done. The only mission left to be done is Mission 5, and then this part of the campaign will be completely playable. However, my AI for Mission 3 has followed in Mission 2's footsteps and broken, so I'm going to have to take some time out and repair it as well (this shouldn't be a problem for Mission 4 or the bonus mission because their AI systems function like Mission 2's, which is now fixed). I am still working on this project, but my schedule is not fantastic at the moment and troubleshooting my AI takes time. Hopefully I'll be back on track soon. Thank you everyone for your continued interest; otherwise I would have probably bailed on this project months ago.

EDIT: I've brought in a programmer friend of mine to review my AI and help me isolate the root cause of the issues plaguing it (as I seem adept at only treating the symptoms). He should hopefully be done with his troubleshooting in the next couple of days, and I will return to work.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  11. Morris

Morris

Resources:
    Resources:
    everybody appreciates a good campaign
    especially playing as the Scarlet Crusade
    I'm waiting for the release to try this babe

12. Verb8im

Verb8im

Resources:
    Resources:
    How goes the progress of mission 5? Will this be playable within a couple days?

13. Elf_Lord

Elf_Lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Unfortunately not. I started school a few weeks ago and my schedule has just gotten a lot worse, so I don't have much time to work on this. Either way, I'm still waiting for my programmer friend to give me a troubleshooting report from Mission 3 because I spent hours staring at the script trying to figure out what was wrong without success, and I don't exactly have any right to rush him since he's doing this as a favor. Hopefully he'll have it worked out soon and I can get back to work.

For everyone who's been following this, I really am sorry about the continuous delays. I have done my best to keep up with everything, but my AI system is a nightmare and troubleshooting it is one of the most painful things I have ever done in WCIII modding. I will find some time this week to finish up Mission 5, and if it comes to it I will post the campaign with Mission 3's AI still broken just so people have a chance to try the other missions. I have not forgotten this project.

14. Elf_Lord

Elf_Lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Okay, as you probably know if you are following this and see how little I post on this... I do not have time to work on this at the moment. The AI is too big a fix for me to handle right now. If I can, I will resume work on this over the holidays. For the meantime, though, I am uploading what I do have. Missions 1-4 are completely playable (Mission 3's AI is glitchy but should function to an extent), and you can "play" the Forsaken mission (in light of my recurring AI issues, I had yet to start setting up the AI waves for the computers, but otherwise the map is complete). Voice-acting is complete for all featured characters except Landgren and Abbendis.

KNOWN ISSUES:
    Mission 1:
    This is not a glitch so much as something I did not explain well (though I may have put an in-game hint to the same effect... I forget at the moment). For the quest Final Service, put the locket in front of the tomb. This will make sense if you do this quest.
    Mission 3:
    The AI may stop functioning. It will ALWAYS launch its first two attack waves, and after that it sometimes keeps going, but after a while it will slip up and stop. This is the error I am trying to fix. Trust me when I say I am very much aware of it. If the AI stops functioning too soon, the bonus quest will also not trigger, but there are no rewards for this bonus quest so there will be no in-game consequences for not completing it.
    Mission 4:
    While both the Stables and the Myrmidon have a Mount/Horse ability, only the Stables' works properly. This is because an innate quality of the base ability apparently precludes the targeting of structures. This should not interfere with gameplay.
    Bonus Mission:
    This mission is incomplete in the following ways:
    -The keys from Mograine and Herod would open the Red AI's gate, but I have not allowed this to happen yet because I haven't made the finale cinematic yet.
    -The ritual circles are part of a bonus quest that is reliant on Red's AI, which does not exist at the moment.

I would appreciate any reviews/criticisms you have on the parts of this campaign that are complete, but be aware that I may be slow to respond. Posting this right now... this is the first time I've been online in like two weeks and it will probably be the last time for another few weeks at least.

Thanks so much for sticking with me on this project. I know it's been a long wait for a still-incomplete campaign. As I've said many times, I would never have even gotten this far if it wasn't for you.

UPDATE: I'm removing this version until further notice. I will be working on this campaign over the next month or so and will release a more polished version when it is ready.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  15. Verb8im

Verb8im

Resources:
    Resources:
    Chapter 1 ending cinematic: In the middle of talking Mograine starts saying something else over what he's currently speaking, so you have 2 sound files going at the same time.

Some of the optional quests I couldn't discover/find.

Bonus mission: Everything was fine until I got to Red's base. I had no idea how to open the gate to get in, and I had no idea what those keys and ritual circles were for, since once again, I couldn't discover the optional quest

16. Thunder1

Thunder1

Resources:
    Resources:
    i have a problem i cant go through the gate the cinematic starts again and again

17. B22

B22

Resources:
    Resources:
    The cinematics are awesome, one of the best I've ever watched. But maybe you should use custom textured terrains and some custom doodads along with custom skies to make the environment and scene background more beautiful.
    The gameplay isn't bad but I don't really like the techtree (completely subjective for this one), especially the idea of upgrading the main troops production building instead the town hall.
    Also for Renault Morgraine, why didn't you use this skin http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources/scarlet-commander-mograine.41215/ instead. And also the Chaplain you can use this http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources/scarlet-crusade-priest.41832/. And huy60vn have some scarlet crusade textures if he is still contactable.
    I would also love if you can give the heroes custom voices. Well, I look forward to this campaign. I just hope that you won't stop before it finished like the previous two Scarlet Crusade Campaign projects. Good Luck:thumbs_up:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  18. B22

B22

Resources:
    Resources:
    One more. Using portraits as icons doesn't look good. I believe there are artists who could help you to make the icons.

19. Emm-A-

Emm-A-

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi Elf_Lord, I played your demo and would like to say, that your cinematics are just absolutely great!
    They are actually exciting, and this is rare among custom cinematics.
    Well done!

Also, this side quest in the first mission with the two lovers is designed really great! It really delivers emotions, so I would say, you are talented in game design :D

In the first mission, there was a problem with the portal in the south of the map, because it retriggers 2-5 times and does not turn off the first time.

Did not read your known buggs sry if this is in.

Over all, I must say, you did a very good job . Feels like an update to the real wc3 story in some parts.

(only highlighting some positive parts here, because it was overall fun to play so far and only little things to critisize :) )

20. Elf_Lord

Elf_Lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Verb8im The bonus mission is unfortunately incomplete. I just included it so you could try the Forsaken techtree. Once the game is complete, those keys would unlock the gate to Red's base. The ritual circles/bonus quest are completely dependent on Red's AI, which is not working. As for the cinematic thing, I imagine I forgot to update some timing when I added the voice acting. I'll look into that.
    And as for the bonus quests, here is how you discover them...
    Mission 1:
    Plaguebringers: Kill any Scourge Remnants necromancer.
    Final Service: Kill the patrolling Forsaken demi-hero Baelric the Cursed.
    Mission 2:
    Chasing Ghosts: Should occur automatically after Velonara's second attack.
    Mission 3:
    The People's Hero: This is prompted by a Scourge attack on one of your allied bases. I tried to program an attack early so this would occur before you could get defenders to both bases, but this is the map with the glitchy AI.
    Mission 4:
    NO BONUS OBJECTIVES
    Bonus Chapter:
    The Red Sun: Should occur the first time the Inquisition summons the Red Sun. Basically the Scarlet Crusade uses ritual circles to summon a giant light beam from the sky that chases around your units and does massive damage to any Undead it touches, and the quest is to prevent them from summoning it 'x' number of times (hadn't decided a number yet).
    @B22 I realize screenshot icons aren't exactly fantastic, but if there's one thing I've learned from my sporadic mapmaking, it's that I don't want to requisition artwork for something I'm not sure I'll finish. If I get farther into making this, I'll look into getting someone to make icons for me. And I did look at those skins but I found that they lacked a lot of shading; there's a reason they're not approved resources.
    @Thunder1 That's strange. I have not encountered that glitch. I'll check that real fast.
    @Emm-A- There's a portal on one of my maps? I'm assuming you're referring to the gate Thunder1 referenced, in which case I'm looking into that. It's weird that's retriggering, but I imagine it was just a small glitch I overlooked when updating. Thank you for your feedback! I was very proud of the lovers quest.

UPDATE: The gate is fixed. Initially that transition worked differently and I changed it right before I uploaded it without testing it. I just forgot to turn it off after it fired. I have also fixed the Mograine quote. Another case where I simply overlooked something. I'm updating the initial upload post.

EDIT: If I can ask a favor of you all, if you want this project to get back on track, I really need someone who can either write AI for me or can teach how to write AI (because the tutorials I've found have not done it for me). You can look at my maps' triggering and see that my "AI" is all event-based triggering meant to resemble an AI, which is why it has been so prone to break. I need to create actual AI for this campaign if I want to take it any farther. If anyone knows anyone (or at least knows of anyone) who would be willing and able to lend a hand, that would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016