• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Chasing the Dawn

What sort of ending should Part II have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
NEW FEATURE IN PATCH 1.02
full

In this new patch, a new type of item is being introduced: Cursed items. Unlike Lightforged items, these artifacts can be acquired regardless of difficulty level and are guaranteed to drop if one completes certain challenges in the campaign. Each Cursed item has a very distinct use that makes it incredibly powerful, but acquiring one is a daunting task, typically requiring the discovery of a secret area or the defeat of an incredibly powerful boss - and rarely, if ever, will it be known what the requirement is! Only Abbendis herself can wield a Cursed item, and once such an item is in one's possession, it can never be dropped. If you're the type that likes to explore every inch of the map to kill every last enemy and discover every last easter egg, you might just have the right attitude to find yourself a Cursed item. But beware... there are also some... interesting side effects to wielding such an item in battle, and if you carry one for too long, you might just change your own fate.

Please note that I will not answer any questions regarding what Cursed items are currently in-game or when/where/how they can be found. Feel free to report glitches should they occur with Cursed items but no help will be given regarding anything else about them.

Level 3
Barring any unpleasantness in this last round of testing, the long-awaited Patch 1.02 will be released today or tomorrow! Thank you all for your patience and I hope that you will enjoy the new and improved Part I!
Good day, Elf_Lord.

I have been waiting news from your promising campaign for months now. I have completed your original part I. For me, it is one of the best campaigns ever made.

There is a thing on mission 5: The Optional Quest. I do not know how to complete it, or I should say I do not know how to make it completed. No matter how many "traitors" I had killed, the quest was still keep-on-going without the end-point. I doubt if it was not some kind of bugs.

Please check it out. Thank you so much for contributing to this society such a great masterpiece!

I am looking forward to your new update!

Sincerely.

Level 1
I tried to start a new game on this patch, but for some reason Abbendis doesn't appear on the first mission. I only have the troops. The mission seems to play normally other than that

Level 12
I tried to start a new game on this patch, but for some reason Abbendis doesn't appear on the first mission. I only have the troops. The mission seems to play normally other than that

I've gotten this complaint before but I have never experienced it myself nor have any of my testers, which it makes it hard to diagnose and fix. I'll see if I can get that fixed over the next couple of days. Until then, there's a user-generated solution to this problem here: [Campaign] - Chasing the Dawn

Level 16
Great campaign !

Just, could you add subtitles on somes of cutscene ? Because some people are not understand english as good as they must... Like me. So, sometimes, I don't get all the informations.

Plus, can you make Abbendis turn faster in FPS mode ?

And, I can't replay maps. When I've finished the chapter five and then, I choose to play the Last Mission, the units are freezes and the interaction control do not respond (Down arrow). Any idea ?

But wow ! Such a good campaign ! Very good idea to choose our own units.
And to choose the spells, can't we use the left and right arrows ? Sometimes, we must traval ALL the powers to go back on one.

I loved play your campaign and I can't wait the end ! :D

(sry bad english, blablabla)

Level 12
Hey, there, @Jaina23! I'll be honest - I've avoided subtitles for Abbendis's narration because I really hate how WarCraft III handles subtitles (that, and it will take a very long time to do). If I can find a way to do that doesn't completely ruin the atmosphere, I will. Meanwhile, I'll try to find a good place to post the narration here on the Hive so people can find it.

I'm double-checking the interlude set now to make sure everything properly activates. The units are supposed to be frozen, but you should be able to interact with things.

EDIT: I forgot to actually bring up the dialog to choose whether to proceed to missions! Thank you for pointing this out. This is... embarrassing, to say the least. I've hotfixed it; it should work now.

Last edited:
Level 12
Hey, everyone! Work on Part II has been going on in the background for a few months now, and very soon I will begin work on it in earnest! Before I get too far in, however, I want to see how everyone feels about maintaining the WoW canon in this campaign. For those who are not familiar with the story of Abbendis, I have included a brief spoiler blurb below. Obviously, it contains spoilers.

Abbendis leads the Onslaught as far as New Hearthglen in the Dragonblight (the setting for Part II). After conflict with Venomspite and the Forsaken, Forsaken assassins (or alternatively Argent Crusade-sponsored Alliance assassins) kill her, at which point Grand Admiral Westwind takes full control of the Onslaught and abandons New Hearthglen, sailing north to Onslaught Harbor in Icecrown (the setting for Part III).

To maintain the canon, Abbendis has to die at the end of Part II.

There is no guarantee I will follow the trend of public opinion on this matter, but I do want the community's input on the matter. Would you prefer the campaign stick to the canon and either end after Part II or continue from another hero's perspective (like Landgren, Westwind, or Katrien*), or would you prefer I abandon the canon and have the campaign continue to follow Abbendis to finish out the Onslaught's story in Icecrown? I know how I would do any of these three routes, so there would be no delay on any of them. If you have a fourth option, please feel free to share! Thank you all for your contribution to my project!

*Katrien is already non-canon and is a demi-hero/hero that will be encountered in Part II. She has a gameplay style similar to Abbendis.

Level 15
I vote for her death. Why? Well, it is simple. First, it follows canon and second, it gives a story a bit more complexity. I have always hated those fairy tales where old "good guys" have to survive! But it is your choice in the end, after all! Good luck!

Level 12
I vote for her death. Why? Well, it is simple. First, it follows canon and second, it gives a story a bit more complexity. I have always hated those fairy tales where old "good guys" have to survive! But it is your choice in the end, after all! Good luck!

I never said she was going to live if she made it to Part III. But I get your point. I hate those endings, too. :p

Level 15
Ye, you can see that problem in WoW. Blizzard kept all their main heroes alive for so long that they had to kill bunch of them in the Legion because lore became repetitive and boring.

Level 9
Ok, so I've had this problem before, but I have no idea how to complete chapter 4. It says to hold out until the couriers get there, then the timer goes to 0, and then there's nothing to do. No cutscene is firing, the mission isn't ending, nothing. Am I just missing something?

Level 12
Ok, so I've had this problem before, but I have no idea how to complete chapter 4. It says to hold out until the couriers get there, then the timer goes to 0, and then there's nothing to do. No cutscene is firing, the mission isn't ending, nothing. Am I just missing something?

This is deliberate. You are supposed to be confused. The problem is that my assumption was that people when confused about the victory conditions would just keep trying stuff, which would eventually run out the clock. You need to hold out for 30 minutes. The timer is set for 25 because the thing you're waiting on doesn't happen (Abbendis's couriers are killed off-screen). At about 26 minutes Abbendis is supposed to say something to this effect.

In other words, keep playing. The game will end on its own.

EDIT: Actually, let me just make this as a general statement, as I intend to have a mission with a similar setup later. If your character is waiting for an event of some sort and the event does not occur, most likely this is deliberate and you need to find another course of action.

Last edited:
Level 19
I don't think you should kill Abbendis yet.

She is so devoted to her cause I don't believe she or any of her followers, would let her die without accomplishing some aspect of their goal. in my personal cannon I would say after the first 3 attempts at her life, she and her most faithful fake her death so that she can undertake a secret mission. A surprised attack to cripple the undead when they are not expecting her. at this point it would be fine if she died. Sacrificing her life for the cause.

Level 12
Personally I'd go for having her killed by the end of chapter two, then continuing from the perspective of a different character. Not because it's canon (I have zero knowledge in WOW lore), but because it seems fitting:

This goes to the theme of the price of zeal, and Abbendis is nothing if not zealous. She takes her followers up north, moving away from the plaguelands (on which the crusade has a tenuous grip), in order to "strike at the heart of darkness", due to divine revelations she is having. This is the kind of zeal which will not be stopped when the odds are against it and it is exactly why she will fall - fighting against impossible odds, having little more than her faith. I think the story should continue from there because, as previously mentioned, the crusade has the kind of zeal which will not be cowed by one of the leaders dying (also I'm biased for seeing you making more things).

Level 12
If there's going to be Part IV, it should feature Mariella Ward

The plan right now is three parts following the Wrath of the Lich King story arc. I have considered using Mariella Ward, but I can't really use her for Part III because the Part III hero is basically doomed to die and I'm not sure what a Scarlet Onslaught-centric Part IV would look like, considering that she abandons the crusade. I appreciate the suggestion, though. I will see if I can include her in some capacity.

The plan is to contain it all within the same game file, as I'm superstitious about game caches transferring from campaign to campaign.

Last edited:
Level 3
@Elf_Lord

I am currently testing your new update for Part I. There is a quite serious bug on Chapter II that I would like to inform you.

At the end of Chapter II, your hero Abbendis is supposed to only be at level 3, no more, right? But when I saved the game there (before I completed Chapter II) and restarted the Chapter, I got a Level-3-Abbendis at the beginning of Chapter II. After that, I could replay Chapter II again and made Abbendis reach Level 4. By the end of my second time playing on Chapter II, Abbendis was at level 4 and possessed: 2 Sunkissed Bands and 2 Circlets of Nobility. I then entered Chapter III with an extra Talent Point gained from Level-4-Abbendis. Feeling a little odd here. :)

Secondly, I think the event of Eldritch the Foehammer, which triggers the finding of Chapter II's Cursed Item, is broken. By the time I arrived Brill, he appeared and made his speech alongside the other ghosts, then he did not vanish entirely. If you look closely, you will see Eldritch's shadow is still on the ground where he stood.

I sincerely apologize if there was any grammar mistake above. English is not my main language.
I hope you will reply this.
Thank you,
Khoi.

Last edited:
Level 12
@Elf_Lord

I am currently testing your new update for Part I. There is a quite serious bug on Chapter II that I would like to inform you.

At the end of Chapter II, your hero Abbendis is supposed to only be at level 3, no more, right? But when I saved the game there (before I completed Chapter II) and restarted the Chapter, I got a Level-3-Abbendis at the beginning of Chapter II. After that, I could replay Chapter II again and made Abbendis reach Level 4. By the end of my second time playing on Chapter II, Abbendis was at level 4 and possessed: 2 Sunkissed Bands and 2 Circlet of Nobilities. I then entered Chapter III with an extra Talent Point gained from Level-4-Abbendis. Feeling a little odd here. :)

Secondly, I think the event of Eldritch the Foehammer, which triggers the finding of Chapter II's Cursed Item, is broken. By the time I arrived Brill, he appeared and made his speech alongside the other ghosts, then he did not vanish entirely. If you look closely, you will see Eldritch's shadow is still on the ground where he stood.

I sincerely apologize if there was any grammar mistake above. English is not my main language.
I hope you will reply this.
Thank you,
Khoi.

That hero level bug is... strange, to say the least. You said you saved using the regular in-game save while playing Mission 2 then restarted and that happened? I wonder if that affected the game cache in some way. I will go test that real fast and see why that's happening.

As for Eldritch, it's quite possible I forgot to remove him and simply faded him out. I certainly forgot to remove his shadow...

Thanks for letting me know! I'll try to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Level 3
That hero level bug is... strange, to say the least. You said you saved using the regular in-game save while playing Mission 2 then restarted and that happened? I wonder if that affected the game cache in some way. I will go test that real fast and see why that's happening.

As for Eldritch, it's quite possible I forgot to remove him and simply faded him out. I certainly forgot to remove his shadow...

Thanks for letting me know! I'll try to get this fixed as soon as possible.
Yes, indeed, I saved using the regular in-game save while playing Chapter II, then I restarted.

As for Eldritch, you are still certain the event has been triggered? I spent this whole afternoon looking for the item. Please just answer "Yes" or "No"! :D

Thank you so much! :)

Level 12
Yes, indeed, I saved using the regular in-game save while playing Chapter II, then I restarted.

As for Eldritch, you are still certain the event has been triggered? I spent this whole afternoon looking for the item. Please just answer "Yes" or "No"! :D

Thank you so much! :)

The ghosts appearing does not necessarily mean a Cursed Item is present nearby.

Level 12
I tried reproduce the scenario you described in another mission (I'm only on Mission 4 in my latest test run). I played until Abbendis hit level 5, saved, then restarted the mission, but she properly reset to level 4. I'm going to go look at the Mission 2 loadout in particular and make sure there's nothing weird about it, but I have no idea why this glitch of yours might be occurring.

Level 3
I tried reproduce the scenario you described in another mission (I'm only on Mission 4 in my latest test run). I played until Abbendis hit level 5, saved, then restarted the mission, but she properly reset to level 4. I'm going to go look at the Mission 2 loadout in particular and make sure there's nothing weird about it, but I have no idea why this glitch of yours might be occurring.
I also test Mission 1 again, everything is fine.

Only Mission 2 has this problem. But still, if the problem occurs on Mission 2 and you put your Level 4's Extra Talent Point into Tier 3 Skill before entering Mission 3 (I put mine into Divine Storm), the same problem will continue occurring at the end of Mission 3 just like the previous one.

You can avoid this whole bug in the beginning by simply completing Mission 2 without saving at the end of mission 2, quitting the mission and restarting it. Just play through it. Saving is fine without quitting + loading the saved file then restarting.

I am currently playing Mission 4, haven't finish it yet. I will inform you if anything new happens.

Last edited:
Level 12
I think I understand. Ironically, I wrote a tutorial on how to do this kind of game caching the other day and I remember this exact issue from it, and I just didn't think it would be an issue with my game. I know exactly how to correct this. Shouldn't take too long. Thank you for reporting this and bearing with me while I figured it out. :)

EDIT: Oh! Nearly forgot to reply to this (and I'm not going to double post)...

I think on Mariella's part. It'd be more like an post-event of the Crusade and the Scourge given that humanity still wants to retake Lordaeron even while fighting the Legion. Main characters would be Mariella, Calia and Ghost Sally. But hey that's just a suggestion.

You might want to split Mariella's story and the Onslaught's fate in a separate campaign altogether.

Like I said, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with Mariella yet (if anything). She and Calia are intriguing characters, but they really don't fit into the Onslaught-centric Scarlet storyline. I wouldn't be opposed to making a campaign about them, but it would indeed be separate from Chasing the Dawn (both in terms of the campaign file and the campaign itself stylistically). I'd be much more inclined to make an RPG-style Mariella/Calia campaign. But that's far off in the distance for me right now.

Last edited:
Level 2
hey in forsaken last chapter the sun does not disappear after killing channelers and all units around it just stops moving and it remains in my gold mine thats senseless :/
+the crusade hero goes to channel them again after killing her and says the same words again and again each time she channels again
in addition to that when sylvanas die no ghost appears from her and she does not revive
like i were stock with 10 banshee and 5 healing mage and i cannot farm anymore gold + suffer losses to kill the sun when ever its channeled again
that map is senseless and cannot be won
why dont you test your maps before you release them... play them omg put cheats and play to see if they work just type whosyourdaddy and see if affects work :/
i see you have released new version 2day ago did that fix the problem?
and is there any more similer to this compaign els then curse of forsaken and rise of blood elf to play?
and when will you make the crusade inslaught compaign?

more bugs is you cannot attack the unfaithful in part 6 chapter so you cannot complete the choice quest although they are red and suppose to be enemy
the necromancer boss cannot be killed he have like 500 damage attack and mega armor
the zombie area is senseless just turns your units to zombie
you cannot beat death knights unless you stick with the men when they say "foul beasts" they just nuke your caster hero with death coal and you loss
i play at mythic difficulty tho

Last edited:
Level 12
hey in forsaken last chapter the sun does not disappear after killing channelers and all units around it just stops moving and it remains in my gold mine thats senseless :/
+the crusade hero goes to channel them again after killing her and says the same words again and again each time she channels again
in addition to that when sylvanas die no ghost appears from her and she does not revive
like i were stock with 10 banshee and 5 healing mage and i cannot farm anymore gold + suffer losses to kill the sun when ever its channeled again
that map is senseless and cannot be won
why dont you test your maps before you release them... play them omg put cheats and play to see if they work just type whosyourdaddy and see if affects work :/
i see you have released new version 2day ago did that fix the problem?
and is there any more similer to this compaign els then curse of forsaken and rise of blood elf to play?
and when will you make the crusade inslaught compaign?

more bugs is you cannot attack the unfaithful in part 6 chapter so you cannot complete the choice quest although they are red and suppose to be enemy
the necromancer boss cannot be killed he have like 500 damage attack and mega armor
the zombie area is senseless just turns your units to zombie
you cannot beat death knights unless you stick with the men when they say "foul beasts" they just nuke your caster hero with death coal and you loss
i play at mythic difficulty tho

I do test my maps. The Forsaken bonus mission was tested about 10-12 times by myself and various other testers before its initial release, but I changed Whitemane's AI with the last release and the change involved messing with the Red Sun setup, which I only tested once because there hadn't been any problems with it before. Clearly there was a mistake. Please understand that I am one person. I do not have a team to help me with things like testing, and I am trying to maintain Part I while simultaneously working on Part II and another project I attached myself to in addition to real life work.

Chaff from the Wheat is fixed with the latest patch.
Necromancer boss is not supposed to be killable. He despawns once he runs out of mana, which is drained whenever he attacks.
Yes, the Zombie area turns your units into zombies if they die in there. So don't keep your units in there.
The Death Knights are not meant to be killable, either. Consider them a sort of timer on the map. You need to get to the ships before they reach you because, if they do, they will kill you.

I do appreciate you pointing out issues that need to be fixed. I depend on users like you to notice things that I don't; I just don't appreciate being berated for something I do for free. I will be updating the campaign momentarily with a patch to fix the Red Sun despawn and dialogue issues.

Last edited:
Level 3
I do test my maps. The Forsaken bonus mission was tested about 10-12 times by myself and various other testers before its initial release, but I changed Whitemane's AI with the last release and the change involved messing with the Red Sun setup, which I only tested once because there hadn't been any problems with it before. Clearly there was a mistake. Please understand that I am one person. I do not have a team to help me with things like testing, and I am trying to maintain Part I while simultaneously working on Part II and another project I attached myself to in addition to real life work.

Chaff from the Wheat is fixed with the latest patch.
Necromancer boss is not supposed to be killable. He despawns once he runs out of mana, which is drained whenever he attacks.
Yes, the Zombie area turns your units into zombies if they die in there. So don't keep your units in there.
The Death Knights are not meant to be killable, either. Consider them a sort of timer on the map. You need to get to the ships before they reach you because, if they do, they will kill you.

I do appreciate you pointing out issues that need to be fixed. I depend on users like you to notice things that I don't; I just don't appreciate being berated for something I do for free. I will be updating the campaign momentarily with a patch to fix the Red Sun despawn and dialogue issues.
On my point of view, I think you have done a marvelous job by bringing us this excellent campaign while maintaining your daily life work.
Please don't mind him. You are doing very great. ;)

Level 2
really? am i someone who is ungrateful now and someone who complains alot senselessly? by playing it i be already thanking you for your great unpaid efforts :/ if i had said anything that is not right just point it out and i dont think you want to have fake people buttlicking while they speak of nothing specific anyways :/ who am i to rate you? im not rating any shit
i just said the mistakes i have seen that i did search google for them and never found
and the death knights you spoke of i killed them infact.. didnt they have a cursed sword item anyways? i could stay for how ever i want in the map but i couldnt achieve the quest of killing the coward oranges because they are not targetble
tho in zombie area i had captain john with full hp and he turned to zombie he couldnt get killed :/ still it didnt matter because the main hero had some 24 armor and 80 damage and life steal and 1300hp nearly with ressuraction spell(thats how i kept him alive) which says you revive 6 units while it revives 1 :$ and judgment spell doesnt give promised heal i have no idea about map making after all so i have no right to complain i just point them out :$
nvm about this ..... idk why i keep discussing with people again and again they just want OH THATS GREAT THANKSSSS MY LOVE YOU!
and infact you could sell that compaign in the part 2 and i assure you that you will get money of it if it has no bugs you released already an trial by part 1 put it really cheap as people would even pay 10-20$ personally i would pay 15 if i had to :$

Level 3
Elf_Lord,
In Mission 5:
Gothik the Harvester's mana pool regenerates too fast! He never runs out of mana. :eek:

Landgren's Blessing of Faith grants bonus damage instead of regeneration and lasts for a very long time. Until Blessing of Faith's effect runs out, using the other two Blessings does not grant anything else and these two Blessings' icons does not appear on the status bar.

Noth the Plaguebringer does not show up? o_O

Last edited:
Level 2
Your current question got me thinking:

Are you making every part from Human (Scarlet Crusade) perspective or making every part played by different race, like Part 1 = humans, Part 2 = forsaken, Part 3 = vrykuls.

And if you decide to go for "Abbendis centered", does it mean that Part 3 will be played from Crusade perspective? I don't really care if you will make Abbendis live or die, I would just prefer playing final part for humans, since you customized them amazingly well and you don't really get to try a lot of stuff that Scarlet units and buildings provide in first 5 missions (unless you play it multiple times).

Level 12
Your current question got me thinking:

Are you making every part from Human (Scarlet Crusade) perspective or making every part played by different race, like Part 1 = humans, Part 2 = forsaken, Part 3 = vrykuls.

And if you decide to go for "Abbendis centered", does it mean that Part 3 will be played from Crusade perspective? I don't really care if you will make Abbendis live or die, I would just prefer playing final part for humans, since you customized them amazingly well and you don't really get to try a lot of stuff that Scarlet units and buildings provide in first 5 missions (unless you play it multiple times).

Parts I and II are both from the perspective of Abbendis and the Crusade/Onslaught, and the entirety of the main techtree* will be unlocked by the end of Part II. Part III may feature the Crusade faction or it may feature another Northrend faction (depending on what route I take with Part III). This decision has yet to be made.

*I feel the need to note that there are some Crusade units that will not be available to the player in the single-player campaign unless Part III is Crusade-centered; however, these units are all variants of units that are available in Part II. For instance, the Paladin is available as a Part II unit, but its alternate forms - the Dreadnaught and the Immortal - are not available except in Part III/the Part II bonus mission, respectively.

If the Champions Mode project is successful, the entirety of the Crusade techtree, including all possible unit variants, will be playable in the co-op missions.

Level 12
The Onslaught is coming, and the One True King is waiting...

Trying a new animation style for this cinematic. Won't be a regular thing, just for announcement trailers and such, unless I find some way to integrate them into the WarCraft III engine (which I doubt I can without .mpq editing).

Status
Not open for further replies.