1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Can there be peace without war?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Malufa, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Sansui

Sansui

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    one, you cant make rules. You are simply a normal user now.

but if you want to play like that with THIS site, not the old forums which are not in question.
    ralle: Join Date: 10-06-2004
    me: Join Date: 04-14-2004

So I dont need to follow any rules?

2. dofys

dofys

Resources:
    Resources:
    [off-topic] Wow, I wish I was smart as Wolverabid. XD

[on-topic] We can decrease the need for war, but there will always be mad group of people or person bidding for war. Like you said, the Nazi is an example of those mad groups. All we can do as a first step in war is to cooperate and compromise. If that doesn't work, full force attack or whatever. Like I said a while ago, there will always be war in my opinion. Without challenge there is no fun. Nothing to understand, nothing to do, and nothing to achieve.

3. lorothrigs

lorothrigs

Resources:
    Resources:
    If we ever were to obtain world peace, someone will say "Look at all this peace, I'll attack so-and-so. They won't even see it coming." Taking advantage of the situation. Therefore, peace is impossible. War without peace and peace without war are both fallacies.

4. Dalaran_Guard

Dalaran_Guard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Firstly, I don't think we can really place a ton of blame on the Nazis, a group that was first created to bring Germany out of possibly the most severe depression that the world has ever seen. The entire group cannot be blamed for the anti-Semetic tendencies of an obviously troubled man. After all, many Nazis didn't support the genocide, and many more were forced into service through scare tactics and draft programs. Hitler came to power because Germany was in a state of desparity, and realistically, he would not have even come to power had the Allies issued a fairer ruling in the Treaty of Versailles.

Second, "compromise and cooperation," as you put it, are yet another cause for world war II. British Prime Minister Chamberlain followed a policy of appeasement throughout the beginning of the war, allowign Germany to build up military force and to invade the Rhineland and the Sudetenland, actions which most definitely violated the mandates of the Treaty of Versailles. Had Chamberlain been willing to stand up to Hitler, Germany would have had little power to start any world war.

That's all from me for now, but expect more soon: metaphysics = life...

5. dofys

dofys

Resources:
    Resources:
    About the Nazi: I always thought the Nazi was a group full of mad people. lol

War: Compromise and cooperation may sometimes prevent a war. It doesn't mean it always starts a war out badly. Then again, it may end a war if it that war starts out without any warning, negotiations, or successful peace talks. If two sides doesn't come to an agreement, then its war or still is war until a side claims victory. If they agree, no war.

6. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    World War I and II are essentially the same wars with a break inbetween (while they got their population back up to fighting numbers). Cooperation was what caused World War I through military alliances dividing Europe and pulling more powerful militaristic governments into the small conflict between Bosnia and Serbia.

However WWI stemmed from an ethnic hatred of the Serbs. Hatred towards another ethnicity/religion/any other group of people is what starts virtually every modern war.

7. Dalaran_Guard

Dalaran_Guard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I wouldn't necessarily say that. I think desire for land/resources plays a greater role than hate in many cases. The Japanese in World War II didn't necessarily hate the Chinese or the Bhurmese; the Japanese simply wanted more land and resources.

As do most people...

Though I am sad to say it, I can't think of very many wars that have ended with a simple agreement.
    ---------------------------------------------

In answer to the main question, peace without war:
    Peace is defined as the absence of hostility. For peace to exist, there must be hostility (war). To think otherwise would be like trying to define darkness without acknowledging light or to define bad without reference to good.

8. dofys

dofys

Resources:
    Resources:
    Civil War is one. Robert E. Lee surrenders as Ulysses Grant promises to prevent charges against him and his men. Thus, ending the Civil War because the last opposing force is now defeated (surrender). His army will also be fed and keep their horses or whatever it is. It's been a while since I read anything about the Civil War. I'll appreciate if you correct me on Civil War. Got to love knowledge. =)

9. Dalaran_Guard

Dalaran_Guard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, Robert E. Lee had little choice. American general Ulysses S. Grant had cut through the Mississippi River Valley, dividing the Confederate South in two. Forces under Gen. Benjamin Butler had blocked southern ports and captured the key city of New Orleans. Gen. Sherman had ravaged his way through the South pillaging and then burning whatever was left, and Grant later began the Wilderness Campaign, a march toward the Confederate capitol, Richmond, Virginia. Once Richmond fell, the capitol was moved to Montgomery, Alabama, but Lee knew that the war was over. He had very few men, limited ammunition, no food, and no way of escape. He had been defeated. I don't know that this could necessarily be called an "agreement," considering Lee had the choice to either surrender or to die. Great choices, eh?

10. dofys

dofys

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh wait, there is a cease-fire agreement at the very end of Civil War. A native american general serving under the Confederates. His nameis Stand Watie and represents the Cherokee Nation. He is the last Confederate general to stand down. He agreed to the cease-fire agreement and signed it. Thus, truly ending the Civil War since he is the last general of a last opposing force. Hehe, I guess that last post I made was wrong.

11. Dalaran_Guard

Dalaran_Guard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, at first I thought you were joking, but I looked him up. Good job. However, I doubt that this Stand Watie had much influence over what would happen for the entire Confederate Army. It seems that when the supreme general (Lee) surrenders, the war is kinda already over. ANYWAY..... let's get back to the main question...

----------------------------------

All in all, the question is somewhat of a paradox: If there is war, peace cannot exist. However, with absolute peace, there is no such thing as war. So the two are co-dependant but cannot coexist...

12. Mecheon

Mecheon

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I joined before you. My rules are greater than yours. However, the colour tag rule is a serious divide even with the moderators so I'm gonna wait and see, because your posts tend to have good content

And hey, Soundwave. Awesome

And my two cents, there cannot be peace without war. We're humans, we're naturally competitive. We're just lucky we've managed to get most of our competitiveness into sport and whatnot as opposed to beating the heck out of each other

Peace is impossible anyway. There's no such thing as peace, its just the time between wars

13. dofys

dofys

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well he can be a mediator (if I'm using the word right) between the Confederacy and the Cherokee. But lets not get into that; indeed, lets get back to the main.

14. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hello guys!
    I am sad to not having heard about this thread earlier. I need to settle something.

We are all here to make the rules, many people were sad about the color-rule and it was never actually added to the rules (I dunno why). Personally I don't really care about that rule. In my oppinion it's up to people if they want their posts to be read or not.

More than a year ago William (Malufa) was a super moderator along with Dan (GST_Nemisis). Malufa always typed in green I dunno why, but it means a lot to him :p. And we did not have any problems with that.

These two guys are very good friends of mine, and they have been gone from the time Archian joined till now. Archian helped us structuring the site and making rules for it and so on. So it's kinda like a new site now.

But there is room at hive for everyone so I would like you to forget the color-rule and respect these two guys. They may soon receive their old ranks when I meet them on MSN some time soon.

*edit*

I hope that you are here to stay William and Dan!

15. GST_Nemisis

GST_Nemisis

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    thanks so much ralle for clearing this up! hopefully everyone can be in agreement with this for now. i dont know how long i will be back for, i usually make posts during my IT lessons at school and check up on them when i get home. but hopefully it will be a little while.

i cant remember if i told you but i havent been using MSN for a while, but i might come on just to chat with you as we havent spoken about random stuff for a while which i miss. ill try to get on when i can :) cya later on!

16. Malufa

Malufa

Resources:
    Resources:
    I told them as much last night my friend ;)

17. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, as did I, and i'm glad that my PM to Ralle last night possibly brought this on. Just as well, I told 'em Malufa wouldn't stop posting in green text :p

And anyway, how is Malufa going to correct people if his text is the same colour as the posters? That wouldn't be embaressing at all, defeating the purpose xD

18. Malufa

Malufa

Resources:
    Resources:
    Brad brings up a most excellent point, people will think they know how to spell!

19. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That point is pointless (not meant to be a joke) Spelling is an unimportant thing on the internet, and as long as basic ideas get across, editing a post for spelling is just a waste of time, unless you want the internet to be some kind of learning experience in grammar, which no one came here for
    Also, restoring Malufa to his old position after about 2 years reeks of the stench of prejudice, because he has not re-earned his old station
    Unless you count getting 8 rep from simply reentering the hive earning his worth to become a mod

20. GST_Nemisis

GST_Nemisis

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    it is not your decision, if Rasmus has enough trust in him to give him his personal phone number he probably has enough to make him a mod. especially when he is experienced as one and has close ties to alot of members here.

Forget about rep

Forget about earning

fact is, he earnt his way along time ago and if he is to be made a mod, so be it. it is not harsh or unfair, it is the fact that he is experienced, inteligent and a nice person, hopefully i will have to stop sticking up for him soon and you will give him a chance to prove it for himself, mod or not.