• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Peace in Colombia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So, this is the thing: Colombia's president, Juan Manuel Santos, has begun dialogues with the guerrillas FARC and ELN(1) in order to negotiate peace (2). Several presidents have tried in the past, but, so far, all dialogues have failed. However, many colombians (myself included) are very optimistic about finally reaching peace with these groups (at least in this decade, in my case). But, even though peace is reached, there are still other issues in the country: paramilitaries, drug traffickers, and criminal bands. And who can say that all branches of the FARC and the ELN will agree?

So, do you think it will be possible? What would make these dialogues different from past ones?

Now, to give you some context:

FARC and the ELN are guerrillas (or terrorist groups, depending on how you see them) that originated in the 50s and 60s, during a period of violence in Colombia. This was caused by fights between the two main political parties, the liberals and the conservatives, who had opposing - yet, one could argue, complementary - views on how to organize the country. These fights date way back to Colombia's independence in 1810. This long history of violence is reflected in the numerous civil wars during that century (nine, mainly). Compare that to the U.S.A, that has had only one civil war. (3)

And some things about the president: Juan Manuel Santos was elected in 2010, winning the election against Mockus and his Green Party. So far he has had a really good administration, dealing important blows to the guerrillas (such as killing FARC's leader, a.k.a Alfonso Cano); however, as is usual when a country focuses on war, there have been troubles with other areas; namely, public education policies (and most of the public education here is just bad). Santos is Uribe's successor, the first president to be reelected in modern times (2002 - 2010).

EDIT: I forgot something. You see, Vietnam had its war, and now it is at peace. India got its independence, and now it's at peace. North and South Korea had their war, and now they at least have a cease fire. Other south and central american countries had their dictatorships and now they are at peace. Will Colombia be a minority unable to reach it?

(1) FARC: Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia (Armed Revolutionary Forces of Colombia). ELN: Ejército de Liberación Nacional (National Liberation Army).
(2) Peace isn't negotiated, though. It's dialogued, or reached.
(3) What is going right now, though, is NOT a civil war. It's a different kind of conflict between armed groups and the government & army.

Level 3
Sadly, I haven't really been following the Colombian conflict. However it's nice to hear that there is finally a chance for peace. From my understanding, both sides have been fighting for decades, hopefully things work out this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.