1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Can there be peace without war?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Malufa, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Malufa

Malufa

Resources:
    Resources:
    As many of you older members will know I love philosophy and metaphysics, it is the place where a great many of our discussions came from. For you newer people feel free to search my name and you will find that many times did Dan and I have very long threads with each other and occassionally a few others would join in.

Here are the basic rules;
    1. Be respectful of others opinions even if you do not agree with them
    2. Everything stated is just an opinion or belief, nothing is fact so do not get angry
    3. Keep it relavent or I will delete your post
    4. If you have nothing to add then do not say anything, spam is not welcome

These rules apply for all of my posts actually so keep them in mind. All of this being said we can now get into the heart of the topic on hand and talk.

There can be no joy without sadness, no hope without despair, light creates darkness and good serves to balance evil. What rises must fall, the mighty become weak, yin turns to yang which become yin again, a leader must follow and flowers die.

So can a pacifist's dream ever be realized? Could the be peace with no war? Could ever there be war with no peace? Are these two linked and are one and the same, but different sides?

Personally I believe there will always be war and strife, I find it doubtful that humanity can ever find lasting harmony with itself. I think that there will always be doubt, suspicion, and those who seek to take advantage of others. What are your thoughts?

2. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    I completely agree with you. Even if it was possble, it would not be something I would want. The only way peace can be maintained for a long period of time is through strict control by the government to ensure there is no conflict of authority on a large enough scale to cause war. This would just lead to oppression of the people and the suppression of ideas that challenge the government.

A lasting peace would also do nothing but stagnate human society. Conflict is a natural occurance and as long as humans have desires of their own, those desires will conflict with others and there will always be some form of struggle. Constant peace and "tranquility" would ruin creative influence, decay moral values, and make life a boring experience.

The best we can do as a global society is not to destroy the planet due to our personal strifes and to develop a "code of conduct" during wars to prevent the complete loss of human life on this planet. We also need to make sure that none of the future wars stem from a deep hatred towards one another. Becuase such hatred can erupt and transform into a mass genocide which will get out of control.

3. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  4. iCrayon

iCrayon

Resources:
    Resources:
    only cool kids have wars

5. Sansui

Sansui

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    No peace brings war.

6. iCrayon

iCrayon

Resources:
    Resources:
    war is another word for love.

spread war. spread love.

spread love. spread war.

7. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It is impossible for there to be peace, at least forever anyway. It is against the human nature, in my opinion. And if there was an everlasting peace, I'd go insane and try to stop it... Because everything would just be life at a stand still. We probably wouldn't be able to express our own ideas, we most likely wouldn't be able to wear what we want to wear... It'd have to be a totalitarianism system for everything to be under control.

8. Sansui

Sansui

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    not to mention technology would be at a stand still or seriously slow down

9. iCrayon

iCrayon

Resources:
    Resources:
    pfft i live in compton technology dont save you, wits does...but without my ipod i would die..seriously

10. GST_Nemisis

GST_Nemisis

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    i cant belive this post has been binned and i cant believe that the colour tags thing is an issue!

i personally believe it is our nature to be violent, perhaps war is something that stems from this. like a need to be violent and show some kind of dominance. many people actually write about the pleasures of war, being a team, fighting for what you believe in. trust your life in your countrymans hands just as you protect them. its always said about how war can bring out the best and the worst of people. fact is it does both, and while it may be horrific, it may also be a part of us. it is said that somepeople were born to be a soldier, i think this is true. just like boxing or matial arts, getting hurt isnt a problem, it is something inside that makes us do it.

as to peace without war, i think its possible. in the far future when people stop caring about all the little differences like religion, race, coloured posts; when everyone learns to get along. at the moment we are so different to anyone beyond our borders, not just other contries but other cities or other people you meet in the streets. i think we all have a war to fight in and a longing for peace, the balance is hard to find but i think its in us all somewhere.

edit, if this was moved from offtopic to here (tho i see no post saying moved) please move it back because this is not spam, it is an intresting discussion which should be in the off topic forum not here.

11. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You have no idea who you're talking to do you? I'm sorry, but his authority outranks every other mod on this site.

I agree here. I don't think it's possible that 6.5 billion people could possibly coexist completely peacefully, and harmoniously together without ever coming to conflict.

It just isn't going to happen. It's almost impossible to find two people that have the exact same interests, opinions, ideals, etc, and without all of these things being exactly the same for everyone, there will not be peace. And since I think that it is impossible for this to happen (for everyone on earth to agree about everything), there will always be conflict. There will always be something on earth that people will have different opinions about, and that will cause wars.

PS I seriously think the philosophy forum should be recreated. It's useful if Mecheon decides to hang around :D

12. Arab4life

Arab4life

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    People need to learn to find way's to resolve problem's without war's. People have money for war's but they cant feed their poor?
    But sadly this is reality, and this is the world we live in.

Fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity...

13. Sansui

Sansui

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:

It does not matter if he outranks god(if one exists) he still has to follow the rules of the site.

14. GST_Nemisis

GST_Nemisis

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    correct.

i think they can and i think its possible, in time people i think people may learn to live together. with strong world leaders who arent incompetent and if everyone were taught to respect and understand other people beliefs and cultures i think its very possible. the problem is people strugggle understanding these things. anything different to their own belief is wrong and therefore must be destroyed, i think its part of the human condition. opposing sport teams (and fans) will fight in competition because each believes they are right and better. its the level of control over this competition that counts. i think competition is great, beating another team at football rules! but a war is the maximum extreem of competition and this is what should be controlled. as far as im aware the only solution is a cutt off, like australia or switzerland or canada have done. be neutral and be nice. i think things like war is under the nations leaders control, and if a country is lead correctly wars would not always be neccessary.

i think two things are needed

1. understanding of others

2. leaders who genuinely would do everything in their power to maintain peace

yeh i would like that back. parhaps all the old threads could be brought back in.

15. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well yes, that's entirely it. If we get world leaders that can all just agree on things (even if they agree to disagree) then the world would be in a much happier state. But then comes the inevitable problem: these leaders can't last forever. So a new leader needs to be elected. What if this leader doesn't agree with the others over things? And treaties, and alliances, sometimes ancient, force countries into war with eachother, even if they are only half-heartedly supporting the cause. Thus, the cycle begins again....

@Sansui: As Malufa said in another thread: "Until Ralle calls me and tells me himself" he ain't switching.

Nothing anyone can say or do can change that, either, with the exception of Ralle himself, the only person that Malufa answers to.

16. Malufa

Malufa

Resources:
    Resources:
    You dare think you can tell me to not make my own posts in green? I will have you know that I was writing in green long before you ever had an inkling of an idea of what Ralle's maps were let alone coming here. I was a super moderator long before you even even registered on this site, so I would shut the hell up if I were you and just walk away.

17. Sansui

Sansui

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Are you talking to me? HAHAHAH!
    I don't know ralles maps.
    I never registered here.

If I were you I would watch your actions, and learn to who you are speaking.

18. GST_Nemisis

GST_Nemisis

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    i would expect a muhahahahaha!!! in that post somewhere. William i wish to see you participating in the topic aswell though, whats your take on the world leaders thing? does anyone think that it is the leaders who can unite a nation in peace? or is the people themselves?

19. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The rules have change Malufa, respect Ralle by following them, super mod or not or even the president, you still follow them, show your respect.

20. GST_Nemisis

GST_Nemisis

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    well it is commonly known that mods cannot ban, they can request admins to ban. until William is banned, expect all his posts to be in green, if you dont like it i expect you are going to have to live with it because i very much doubt he will be banned.