• πŸ† Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. πŸ”—Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Brothers Grimm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
[MORPG] Brothers Grimm

Brothers Grimm

I fell in the vastness of the desert, nothing looked old, and everything appeared to be new,
As I watched the sand being carried away by the breeze, and it seemed that it took my memories too.
Was it all a dream? Or did i hit my head on something?
With a blistering headache, I awoke near a pub unable to reconcile my last few actions.
I entered the dreary pub with a long face and ordered up a few rounds.
The barkeep kept pouring and explained the recent defilement and poor of the town that seemed to be at no end.
A strange drunken old man who smelled of nothing but drown sows approached and joined a table in the corner of the bar.
He told the strangest stories of fictional tales of fairies, witches, and even dragons.
No one believes in dragons anymore; they have been extinct for years and the other people laughed him off.
And for a while I thought nothing of such a drowned out soul of a man that he was, until he said something that rung like a bell threw my ears.
He explained there was one creature with the ability to erase memories and the ones who lived to tell it often were unable to even tell about what had occurred.
So, I followed him outside the bar to ask him about this creature that erases memories.
But as I approached this man in an dead end alley before I could ask about the creature he disappeared in thin air as if he was a creature himself.
Where he left lay a book though. On the cover was strange emblem with the etched title--
Brothers Grimm.

Map Specs:
Map size: 128 by 128
Number of Players: 10
Max Level: 60+
Gameplay: A MORPG with nearly endless terrain, some dungeon & dragon elements, and scripted boss fights.
It will focus on fights with supernatural and also many urban legends.
Current Map Size: 1,858 kbs (This will be updated sparingly when map size changes drastically usually)
Running Progress List:
Note: Running list means this will be modified at my discretion and may not always be up to date or include all features that will show in the map. Also a lot of it is constantly being re-coded so some items may shift to be done faster or slower than others.
Core:
βœ”Chances: Chances for critical strikes etc are made to balance using Get Proc
=Events for nearly everything (stuff like critical strikes, evades, and etc are given events)
=Physics (heroes will knockback units with attacks)

Combat Semantics:

Spells:
Casting Bar:
=Casting bars appear when casting spells (mostly re-coding)
=Casting bars can be canceled mid-way (mostly re-coding)
=Casting bars can be sped/slowed down (mostly re-coding)
Meteors:
βœ”Manipulative meteors(quantity, time to fall, effects etc)
Unit Images:
=Unit Images will be able to have certain %'s of dmg/defense of regular units and will be able to be fully controlled (mostly re-coding)
Invisibility:
βœ”Invisibility that is revealable on a per player basis
Auras:
βœ”An check for aura victims if they are invisible, or hexed so they cannot bestow auras (to replicate wc3's aura system)
~Actual Aura System (mostly waiting on AuraStruct to be finished :D)
Reviving Units:
βœ”Works well
Status System:
βœ”Works well (just needs to re-code some things like stun to account for faster hit recovery on items)

Combat:
Chances:
(these are being re-coded but will be finished soon)
βœ”Hit (causes normal damage)
βœ”Critical (extra damage with modifiable critical % and chance %)
βœ”Parry (reflects some damage)
βœ”Block (blocks a % of damage)
βœ”Evade (completely evades all damage)

Element Types:
=Fire
=Light
=Cold
=Nature
=Magic

Melee Weapons:
βœ”Melee weapons attack units in a triangle based off the facing of the unit (was recently optimized)

Projectile Weapons:
=Visual Display of quantity using food or multiboard
βœ”Projectiles are able to collide with units, destructs, and other projs
βœ”Projectiles are manipulative (slowing, modifying damage etc)

Displays:
=Damage Types will display the correct type of the weapon you equiped
=Armor Types will display the correct type of the armor you equipped
=Damage on the hero's regular Interface spot will show the main-hand damage the unit is dealing for only physical damage
=Damage on the hero's regular Interface spot will show the off-hand damage the unit is dealing for only physical damage in the green bonus number
βœ”Textags of chance effects[crits,parries,dodges etc] (mostly re-coding)

Bosses and Raids:
Bosses:
=Threat System (Making it using this:http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php/168621-MergeSort)
=AI (dependent on what type of boss but might be configured into some sort of system)

Raids:
=Walls/gateways/towers are constructed with destructable walls that are destroyed in stages
=Pathing works for the walls/gateways/towers

Players:
Party System:
=Party System that shows other players health and provides for easy heals/buffs

Chat:
βœ”Chat commands
βœ”Chat commands to provide customization of inventory/talent sizes based on resolution
=Other useful chat commands

Dungeon Master:
βœ”New Dungeon Master In-game UI structure
=What actual buttons and what form of structure the UI will take
βœ”Dungeon Master master-select ability(able to select anything in the game)
=Dungeon Master's ability to control an single unit for a limited time
=Dungeon Master's ability to change objects(units, destructables, items) with some category/level limitations

Inventory:

General:
βœ”ESC closes the inventory
~Inventory opens with a spell inside an item spellbook menu including other things
βœ”Showing equiped item attachments on both hero and inventory unit
βœ”4 slot belt for potions/scrolls
~Tooltips display
~Animations of the hero switching depending on items equiped
~Money/Dungeon Master Points display
βœ”Stack items of same type that are potions/scrolls
~Graphical Display of stacked items numbers with texttags above items
~Fixing item bonuses to match all available bonuses
=Talents can be added to by item bonuses
=Switching the inventory to run on completely images instead of destructables

Merchants:
OMerchant Window
~Merchants getting more items as you sell/buy from them and as they reach towns

Trading:
~Trade Window

Auctions:
OAuction Window (uses same as merchant window but with non-regular price)
~Setting up prices for auctioned items
~Paying for an item to be held in auction for a while and if it is not sold returning it to the owner

Stats Display:
~Full Stats Display
βœ”Stats Buttons
~Stats Text Display For Type and Number with green addition numbers

Item Dropping:
βœ”Drop items
~Dropped item stealing protection

Item Types:
~Magic Items with random Prefix/Suffix
~Socketed/Gems
βœ”Charms
βœ”Sets
βœ”Stackables
OArrows/Throwing Weapons
~Runewords (I will see about adding runewords depending on how hard socket are)

Talents:
General:
βœ”Talent Buttons
βœ”Talents can be modified outside of the talent system
βœ”Talent Screen is exitable by pressing ESC
~Talent Screen opens with a spell inside an item spellbook menu including other things
=Talents using only images for displays

Adaptation:
=Talent Organization
=How skills are formed by talent and class choices
=Working on an good design to do this

Shared (Inventory and Talents)
10 Button Transport Actionbar:
βœ”Providing 9 clickable transport buttons for learned spells
βœ”Showing graphical cooldown of spells inside the transport buttons
βœ”Has 1 button to collapse to show other hero stats
βœ”Doesn't interrupt orders
=Refreshing transport icons at an manageable speed for fast casting
=Buttons to assign these transport slots and control hotkey bar

World:

Terrain Generation:
General:
βœ”Terrain Deformations that are reversable and saveable that are coded to be settable by a single integer
=Implementing multiple levels for generation with angled ramps (Will be pushed back for a later version because terrain deformations work well and will be useful for creating more realistic terrains.)
βœ”Manipulative Fog (color, density etc)
βœ”Snapping camera/minimap limits to regions

Day/Night:
βœ”Sun/Moon models
=Applying Sun/Moon models for correct times
βœ”Cloud/Sky models
βœ”Lighting models

Weather:
OA working rain system that will flood some areas
=Good looking rain that will add serious realism to the terrain

Forest:
βœ”Has scrolling terrain for a larger triggered terrain generated map (This should still be optimized a lot but it is working)
βœ”Has "smart" forest terraining (trees only on grass, rock doodads only on rocks) [Just needs some optimization]

City Terraining:
βœ”Can create buildings of variable sizes with custom floor/wall models
βœ”Has "smart" city terraining (placing trees outside/npcs inside etc)

Dungeon:
βœ”Has walls created with entrances
βœ”Has "smart" dungeon terraining (placing concentrations of enemies in right spots dividing them up a bit)
βœ”Has chalices that provide an to be added bonus
βœ”Has coins generated that will provide some gold bonus for certain bonus levels
βœ”Has chests generated that will have chances of dropping items
=Placing ground terrains (like running waterways with grated floors and water)
=Destructable pillars and other objects

Maze:
=Recoding this (Found two examples of this done and am working on figuring the most optimized way of going about this)

Cameras:
βœ”Fixed First Person(Just needs a small bit of an optimization)
βœ”Third Person(Just needs a small bit of an optimization)
βœ”Regular Game Camera with height fix

Unit Models:
Hero:
βœ”Animations
βœ”Male/Female
=Many attachments
=Different races
=Modifiable appearance (hair, ears, etc)

Enemies:
=Model that is mainly just attachment points that plays good animations (I have one already; but am thinking of getting or making an version of the villager model with an large amount of animations that would be just attachment points and bones instead)
=Many attachments(including bones version for when enemies get electrocuted and falling body parts)
=Different races/types
=Modifiable appearance (hair, ears, etc)

Gore:
βœ”Blood Stain models
=Blood Splatter/spray models
=Some form of blood system for damaged units
=In-Game options to turn gore on/off or modify the amount

Loot:
=Working on a good way to deal with this
=A dice roll for higher grade items

Sounds:
βœ”Sound System
βœ”Error Sounds
=Equip/Talent sounds
=Weapon sounds
=Possibly some custom music

Interface:
βœ” Loading Screen (Just pure black to save space)
βœ” New User Interface Skin
βœ” New AOE target skin

Key:
βœ” Finished
O Still need to be tested
E Has errors
= Working on it
~ Working up to it
Screenshots:
None yet. Will add some soon though. You can check some in the recruitment thread but many of them are old.

Interested and want to help?
Post here->Recruitment
Note: I'm mostly looking for another vJASSer, but anyone is free to apply.

Last edited:
Level 7
Been fidgeting around with terrain placement to get better random terraining later on. Focusing on some bit of architecture like support columns for buildings. I'll have the first few versions of the map mostly just regular terrained until i get the terrain gen up to par. :D

Here's some of what is being experimented with so far (destructables count 144*):
(This could be an example of what is generated randomly give or take a few details)

Edit: Changed according to some of maddeem's suggestions. Some clutter removed; and improved the building in general it seems.

Attachments

• Revision1.jpg
    Revision1.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 416
  • Revision2.jpg
    Revision2.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Level 7
I'm thinking of geomerging(or combining) some models(like a quick example would be that bear head and that upper wall in the second photo i posted) together to make the generation easier and more do-able though this would take some more time. So I am looking at some of the tutorials on that.

I recently was fooling around with some dock models. I am making the models with off-sets in the model editor so that they are placed at the correct height.

For example in this case it means that the docks are out of the water and placed at the correct height even when placed without any height modifying trigger methods(like adding walkable destructables underneath to push the newly created destructable on top) or any use of ctrl + pg up/down. :D

This relatively big dock is only 15 destructables too(including water) for example.

Attachments

• Dock1.jpg
    Dock1.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 291
  • Dock2.jpg
    Dock2.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Level 7
does you know there is a native to create a destructable at the height you want

Ah I was thinking of trackables as they require walkable destructables placed to modify height. I'll make some corrections here and there. Thanks for the reply. This means lower filesize yet again :D .

Level 7
Lol maybe you should work more on the dock before posting screenshots of it, it's not that amazing looking :p
I agree and I got similar feed back from maddeem when I showed him; i'll be looking to find better models I can use or ideas since I'm not really happy with it.

Level 7
Taking a few weeks break on this to work on a campaign map with L2Love. This will be updated with some real interesting news/progress afterward for sure. :D

Level 7
Updates!:
Been re-doing lots of codes. Broke compatibility on some things and am working on fixing them more up to date so they fit with new requirements and optimzing scripts as I go. The core has been re-done quite a lot. I've added some code from Window Interface(http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=108895) and recoded some parts of it that allows me to get an interface on a players screen no matter what camera angle they have! It's quite amazing and it's going to be on the single dungeon master type player as an in-game menu and for normal players when selecting some things most likely heroes or something else. I might provide a video if i have time using Fraps.

I've also implemented an few scripts from Cinema Workshop(http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=110341) and am working on integrating the code into the core systems as well. This will allow me to have in-game skippable, fastforward, slowdownable, or reverseable cinematics.

I've been experimenting with terrain deformations and am working on creating the random terrain generation systems as well. These systems will allow me to create terrain in-game that doesn't lag people out and will probably look so realisitic it will set a new standard for random terrain generation. It will also be initially on unless turned off with a mode to prevent some unlikely desyncs(when mac players want to play if they even exist).

Overall still lots to do but the core is what i'm trying to finish more than anything at the moment which will be a powerful core that is able to create any rpg of great quality. I'm still busy with school however, but in a few weeks I'll be back to modding quite a bit more.

Last edited:
Level 16
I've added some code from Window Interface(http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=108895) and recoded some parts of it that allows me to get an interface on a players screen no matter what camera angle they have! It's quite amazing and it's going to be on the single dungeon master type player as an in-game menu and for normal players when selecting some things most likely heroes or something else. I might provide a video if i have time using Fraps.

The sooner you do it the happier I'll be.

Level 7
I like boss fights, so I probably stick around, the progress list looks promising...
Thanks for reminding me. I just updated some of it with some of the new additions. I also noticed I have a bunch of simple things on the list that I should get done and will work on soon.

The sooner you do it the happier I'll be.
I'll see what I can do. Probably sometime this weekend I'll upload a trailer video to showcase this. I'm currently thinking of at least 3 videos that would be good to show as teasers: the new Window Interface(working for any camera angle), the spell slots with transport not interfering with orders, and the new terrain generations.

In other news:
For the people who may have been wondering why the inventory has been on "working up to it" for quite a while. The reason is the inventory will be going through a bulk of the optimization/revisions based on the core systems (which are still being improved/worked on). I was also considering the idea of completely eliminating items from the inventory and instead using completely images or destructables only which is similar to what this map did: (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/diablo-builder-1-0b-203738/) This is a major optimization and will take some time but will be worthwhile for faster game loading times. And there has been a bunch of discussion about images not re-sizing correctly based on monitor resolutions so I will have to look into these things.

Another thing that has been slow in development has been some things related to unit creation of enemies and models. The reason being is that I really am in need of a modeler/skinner. I'm working on everything else till I get to this for the most part. The plan is to have models with just attachment points and animations so I only need to create as many units as there are attack types and armor types and then we can together model small parts of the units(arms, legs, torso, head etc which is a relatively simple process if extracted from normal wc3 units like roughly less than 20 mins per part). The reason for this again is fast loading times as there are not as many units(in the object editor) as the infinite amount of unit types(as far as filesize holds) since they will just be based off of attachments on the unit and a few other coded scripts.
Edit: After some thought I'll just use a placeholder model for the enemies when and code the system that way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.