• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BoFS beta v01p

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
A little summer project of mine. This small map where started with the intension of finally creating a working AoS map of my own.

I would describe it as a rather fast phased AoS, quite difficult for newbies. its based on all the standard units from the Orc and Human races, with only slightly modified units, and all the melee heroes (heroes are very modified tho).
One major difference in this map is that each Troop producing building gets their units trained separately. Meaning that by training one more Footman in a Human Barack, will increase the amout of footmans per wave in that Barrack only.
Another thing of interesst. The Goldmines in the center of the map will roughly double the amout of gold the controling team gets. So they should be a big focus too.

On top of that: All melee heroes have one aditional custom ability. All normal abilities have 6 levels, and the ultimate have 3. (Max level is 30, but I doupt anyone should reach that level before the game is over =X)

Right now this map is in beta stage, with plenty of balancing and spell error correcting to do for me, and thats why I need your help! =)

Credits goes out to:
My LAN buddies, who gave me alot of feedback this summer, good times...
Ryoko, for the Item Combine trigger I simply cant live without!
Ayane for the custom hero glows.
And to all of you who test my maps =)
Vexorian for his Map Optimizer.

Word out to map the reviwers: If you want to take a peek at the map in the editor as well, just let me know and I can give you a non optimized/protected version (as long as you promice not to host it online.)
---

Changes (v0.1O):
Added one more hero for each team. The Alchemist joins the horde, and a Martial Warrior joins the Alliance. On top of that I've made some balancing.
Changes(v0.1P)
Moved the shops :)
Only the Goblin merchants are now outside the bases. Moved the one near the orcish base to the other side of the three towers to make it more symetrical to the Human side.

Keywords:
Warcraft, Horde, Alliance, AoS
Contents

BoFS beta v01p (Map)

Reviews
13:54, 1st Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 7
Just had a quick bash. Lets me start by saying its brilliant! 100% better than most AoS maps out there. Heroes were balanced, and the custom spells all very nice. Terrain was passable, if a bit blizzard-ish. Trigger were all neat and tidy and the map didn't even have any typos (shock horror). Very approvable 4/5.

Level 1
this map has been made very well
good heroes with partly innovative spells.
different terrain then the most other aos

just 2 things:
make the shops for items in the base a bit more...well...obviously
newbies really have to search them sometimes

the other thing... ballance the units
its just lame that grunts have like twice the stats than footmen etc.
make them having the same amount of hp, dmg,armor etc.
this would ballance the whole thing
oh and...how about an -ap mode?

4/5+ vote for approval if you ballance the units

Level 4
Thanks FrozenFenrir for your feedback!

The reason the shops are so spread is because I don’t think there is enough room in the bases. And finding them and learning their positions is a part of the game play I think.

Regarding the units; I've kept their stats as they are in melee games (with very minor adjustments, only to some of the units abilities). My first goal was to create a AoS version of a melee map. And in all the testing I have done, I've come to the conclusion that the two teams are balanced. In fact, with no interference with player heroes they could battle forever as long as both sides have units of equal worth of gold, because I've spent lots of time calculating the bounty and cost of the units.
The last thing I want is a map with two different teams that in the end are just the same with different looks. Also, if I made the units of both team equal in terms of hp, dmg, armor, and so on. I would probably have to remove the special abilities of the units, like defend and ensnare, since they right now are designed for the current base stats of the units.
My conclusion is that I trust in blizzard own balancing of the units, and it works just as well in this AoS setting as in a Melee game with only a little bit of tweaking. Only the items, heroes, and the players skill should make a difference in the outcome of a round and that’s were I’m going to focus my balancing right now.
Ï don’t mean I don’t trust in your opinion, I will focus more on the units when I keep balancing. But a complete overhaul of the units is not a solution I could accept.

And -ap mode? Is that short for "All pick"? Then that should be the only actually mode that is available so far since I haven’t made a random function yet.

Level 3
sorry 1/5 ^_- jking lad it was good i liked it now lets find a way to crush dota down

Level 6
Mass Purging Template Version 3.0
Approve.

Any Personal Comments?
Meh, it's unoriginal, but based soley on the terrain, I couldn't deny it.
Ap0, you may want to deprotect it if you have time, I don't >.<