• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Best RTS game (not warcraft)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Just looking for some opinions on your favorite RTS games or series. Don't say Warcraft either because its a given that we all like it because were on this forum.

Anywho I'm looking for your favorite RTS and why you like it. Maybe a brief description of the game and how its played. Also maybe how you believe it could be improved.

In my opinion the best RTS I've played would have to be Age of Empires II Age of Kings. This was and still is a great mid-evil RTS game. It was however pretty basic in terms of resource gathering and of unique units. All in all it was a great game and had many stories from history to play through from Joan of Arc to Genghis Khan.
I liked how this game allowed the player to build walls and towers allowing you to go from a simple settlement to a full blown fortress. Added quite a bit of tactic to the game even if it was simple through most of the game.
I would have liked to see more depth in terms of trading, resources, units, and maybe even more building and fortifications.

P.S I know this game is old but I was more of a fan of it than Age of Empires III because Age of Kings took place in mid-evil times.

Level 12
Total Annihilation. Best RTS ever! The title is rather unoriginal but precise! The entire game is about spamming hundreds and thousands of different robotic warriors (I'm not kidding on the numbers) that blow each other to bits. Nukes, physics engine, airplanes that move like airplanes, all in 1997. You won't believe it till you see it.

Level 15
Starcraft and Starcraft: Brood War. that's 'till Starcraft II hits =))

PS: from tactical point of view, Warcraft I: Orcs and Humans (no, i'm NOT kidding) was rather good, managing small armies while being able to control a single unit at time was rather challenging.
Warcraft II was a great strategic game too, imho.

Level 2
Pfft, Command & Conquer.

C+C is better than warcraft, in my opinion. The originals were the best like Red Alert...Tiberian Sun...etc.

Level 7
All the games you listed are classics but i dont think they are good strategy games.

A good strategy game would be Company Of Heroes (any, even that i didnt played the latest). When you play it you just feel like its a strategy game. there are small amount of squads, and every one has clear adventeges and functions. you would put a sniper in a building to pick off some squad trying to counqer a flag nearby, then the enemy would san an engenears with flame throwers to smoke him out.

also the battels is pretty damn realistic, with cover and granades and damage to the various parts of the vehicle.

you just need to play it to understand it :p

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

StarCraft
C&C Red Alert (2, Yuri's Revenge)

Rise of Nations
Strength & Honour

Level 2
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II.

Orgasmic graphics, excellent voice acting, great physics, and it's very cinematic. Detail is amazing, and weapons actually sound like they look; bolters aren't modern assault rifles after all, they're huge automatic rifles that fire .75 caliber explosive rounds!

I play the Warhammer 40,000 tabletop game too, and it's good to see that Relic did the setting justice in their games.

Level 6
Starcraft- when a country(Korea) treats starcraft gamers like athletes than you know its a big game; Warcraft 2, Age of Empires 2, BFME1&2 in that order. I tried Empire at War, but did not like the gameplay. I heard Halo Wars was good, but I've never even played any of the Halo games; no Xbox. I never played any of the C&C games either.

By the way, you could control 4 units at a time in Warcraft 1. Hold Ctrl and select the units. Lol, however, it's still challenging.

Also, Starcraft 2 will own all RTS games when it comes out in 2010. You'll see.

Level 6
I don't get it. If you don't like any of the Warcraft games than why are you on this website?:confused:

Level 9
There's a lot more to this site than just warcraft. a lot of people on here don't play much anymore. This is a modding site and people get help and work on increasing their skills with certain aspects of modding. Once this sites holds mods for starcraft however I'm sure were will be happy.

Level 17
Classics are great, but they were much better when they actually came out. Now there's plenty of games that outclass them and I find it silly to go back to them except for the occasional game or two or a nostalgic spur.

Getting back on topic, I'd recommend World In Conflict.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

no.

I dont actually like Warcraft, I find it slow and boring, as opposed to Starcraft, which I love.
AOE2 was also pretty good, yeah.

You find WarCraft slow, but AoE2 (Age of Empires, aye?) not? I always had the impression AoE was really, really slow.
However, that might not have been AoE2 (perhaps I never tried that one).

Level 13
I don't get it. If you don't like any of the Warcraft games than why are you on this website?:confused:

What's warcraft?

I think it's impossible to pick a RTS above the others... most of them have something original and unique, making it impossible to compare.

Level 13
Dark Crusade was good enough.

They really messed it up with the "flying units" in SS. They were crap, and the maps weren't designed for them. Many buildings were too high for said units to fly over... so they just flew through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.