• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Best RTS game (not warcraft)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
yeah I really do cause they usually kill a great game title (exeptions: Heroes of might and magic 3)
one of the most epic games I played is Called Disciples: sacred land and the sequel Disciples 2 was even better, now they are making a 3rd Disciples game and it already look screwed :/ 2 of the main races have been removed (4 races, Empire, Clans, Undead, The Damned) the Clans and the damned were removed and replaced them with "Elves" and the battle system is changed also, upcoming shitty game.

Talking about epic games and Rts I forgot "Seven kingdoms" (the original was released in the same time of AoE 1)
Seven Kingdoms 1-2 were awesome but when the third was released "seven Kingdoms Conquest" (yeah its shit) it wasn't even seven kindoms they were 3 and the game had no relation to the classical previous 2

Level 12
I admit it, I flamed to get attention to the best game ever made for its time. 1997, physics engine, 3D units, when units die they leave wreckage, aircraft that fly and attack similar to real aircraft, awesome resource system, extremely well done interface with tons of cool features like holding down X and dragging a line of structures, units can move and shoot and some units have multiple guns that each fire at different targets (on the move).

So far ahead of its time IDK why Starcraft is 1/5th as popular let alone 10x more popular.

Level 12
Well how exactly can I describe it's gameplay? You make 100's of units, send them at your opponent, they shoot projectiles at each other. You make 100's of bombers, and destroy your enemies defensive structures with them. You make 100's of anti-air turrets to shoot down enemy bombers that are trying to kill your precious big guns that can fire all the way across the map. You make 100's of structures to produce energy, metal, and convert energy into metal. Strategy involves lots of scouting, unit choice, and also you can heavily micro your units to get more out of them (mostly with air units). After big fights there will be a huge graveyard of metal that you can slurp up (reclaim) to make more units with (perpetual metal!). Your commander unit can turn invisible, and has a weapon with short range that instantly kills anything (called the D-Gun). So he's really good at countering early rushes, even though rushing is still really effective because metal extractors and windmills die in like 4 shots...

Just imagine epic futuristic combat and this game delivers on all fronts. There's ships, seaplanes (that land underwater) hovercraft, tanks that go underwater, K-bots (mech warriors) that transform into boats, construction aircraft (ever wanted a flying peon?). THIS GAME HAS EVERYTHING! Radar, Sonar, Nukes, Popup cannons (that can survive nukes), Anti-missile defense systems. The list goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on.... and on....

List of problems:
Pathing system isn't very good (the more units on the map, the more the pathing system is dumbed down even though modern computers can handle it without sweating a drop)
Not balanced too well. The Arm are in most cases better than the Core, and some units are strictly worthless (even though there's 150 to choose from so no wonder). Honestly though it doesn't matter too much since the units that are used the most for each faction are fairly balanced (although I'd still give the edge to Arm).
The races are very similar to each other. It's like Warcraft 2, where there are only a few differences on each unit, but with 150+ units, again it doesn't really matter.

Level 4
Best RTS game ever would be to me....

Starcraft, still.

I don't know a strategy game I would rather play more than Starcraft.

Up there:
Total War Series
Sid Meier's: Gettysburg!
Total Annihilation
C&C
Dawn of War 1 + 2
Age of Empires 1 > 2 > 3

Level 4
Dreadnought[dA];1347368 said:
All of the mods are terrible including Balanced Annihilation. I've played it a bunch and it really sucks.

Maybe you could elaborate to better prove your point about it sucking.

Lag issues, balance issues, graphics issues, other gameplay issues...etc.

Level 25
Dreadnought[dA];1346170 said:
List of problems:
Pathing system isn't very good (the more units on the map, the more the pathing system is dumbed down even though modern computers can handle it without sweating a drop)
Not balanced too well. The Arm are in most cases better than the Core, and some units are strictly worthless (even though there's 150 to choose from so no wonder). Honestly though it doesn't matter too much since the units that are used the most for each faction are fairly balanced (although I'd still give the edge to Arm).

I think the real reason starcraft I was so popular was because of it's storyline, different races and balancing. But I'll check that game out some time..

Level 12
I think the real reason starcraft I was so popular was because of it's storyline, different races and balancing. But I'll check that game out some time..

Ya Total Annihilation doesn't have a great storyline, but it's a perfect game for E-Sports. Even better than Supreme Commander I would say since you're always zoomed in on the action (while Supreme Commander has this massively overrated zoom out feature where you watch little dots kill each other).

Status
Not open for further replies.