• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Best games of ALL time!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Crysis 2 was too epic for this.

Crysis 2 is an incredible game that certainly lived up to everyone's expectations. However, in my opinion, they were a little overly liberal with the plot. Even though it is epic, thrilling and compelling, it was an overly drastic change from the original -- from lush, tropical islands, Korean military and cnidaria-like aliens utilizing cryo-technology, to a desolated city, humanoid aliens, and whole new characters and story direction. And also the constant switching of protagonists (Nomad » Psycho » Alcatraz/Prophet) was a little annoying - what happened to character development? Still, it is an amazing game, and is still one of my favourites to date. People have differing opinions, though. But let's not stray too off-topic.

All in all, in conjuction with my previous post, I think there are different circles or aspects in which one game can be the best. For example, in terms of the plot, I would have to go with Deus Ex. In terms of gameplay, I would have to go with either Half-Life 1, or Metal Gear Solid. In terms of revolutionary graphics, Crysis, and so on. In my sole opinion, there isn't a "best game over all."

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Quite tempted to exclaim Final Fantasy VII, but I think it'd be narrow-minded of me to only pick one game when there are so many exceptional ones out there. Icewind Dale (and basically anything Black Isle Studios touched) is a good candidate. I've got to mention Transport Tycoon by Chris Sawyer (and, perhaps more notably, OpenTTD) for keeping me interested even to this day. While I'm at it, I might as well add Tibia. SC/SCII belongs here too, for being the only RTS I've actually cared about learning. Unreal Tournament 2004 (and the others) for being the single most awesome time-killing online shooter (though Quake takes a solid second position). Lest I forget, DotA, Strength & Honour, WarCraft III (demo > RoC > TFT) and the rest of the Final Fantasy series.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Kings Quest 3 (Can't install it anymore... Damn 6 inch floppy discs)
Wc2 & Wc3
Age of Empires 2 & 3 +Xpacks
World of Warcraft (TBC, Wrath, and Cata sucked)
Oblivion
Mario 1 & 2
Zelda (All of them)
Disgaea
Sacred 2
Zoo Tycoon 1+ Xpack
Tales of Vesparia

Basically anything on the NES, Atari, etc...

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Shadow of Collosus,Predator Concrete Jungle, were also very good games...
Especially Shadow of Collosus,i think every PS2 owner should try that game,it deserves this

Try beating the original Shadow of the Colossus without a walkthrough, its nearly impossible! (The original game was called ICO, its around 1-150$ on eBay)

Level 11
well...some monsters can be beaten without walktrought...i managed to do it on some,but some are hard...but still the concept is mind blowing,it got puzzle,adventure,a bit of RPG i think,and the fact that u,a small skinny guy with a horse go against gigantic monsters is insane :D,and also,the soundtrack,the environment...

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

=P I'm talking about ICO, not Shadow of the Colossus. (Shadow of the Colossus is the sequel to ICO).

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Heh, I still have a working copy of Earthbound. If I cared to part with it, I think I could probably eventually sell it for around that much.

Obviously, there are some games that are (like art) collected, and they raise in price according to rarity.

New game for $150, though, is about twice what you pay for any new game here. Select titles, for PS3, reaching $100, but just barely.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Its kind of stupid to pay 100$+ for a brand new game on the newer systems. Personally I just go over to the local EB games and snatch up any decent games for my old systems for 3-15$ each, they usually end up being very fun. If I want a new game for my XBox360 I do the same thing and get a fairly new game (as in it came out within the past 4-5 months) for a reasonable 25-35$.
Game manufacturers are just trying to leech money out of the kids who want to be "cool" by having the newest w/e right when it comes out...

Level 11
IMO and from my experiences i would have to choose these (prolly more but cant think of em right now :p)

Star Wars : Bounty Hunter
F-Zero GX
SSX 3
Zelda (all of them)
Metal Gear Solid 4
Mass Effect 2
Might and Magic VI-VIII
Lands of Lore III
Elder Scrolls III : Morrowind
Giants : Citizen Kabuto
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Super Mario 64

good memories :D

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Pong

The original version. (With the square ball)

//\\oo//\\

Nah thats to new, go with the original original version played with military radars :ogre_hurrhurr: (It doesn't describe that one on wikki, weird...)

Level 9
In no particular order:

Final Fantasy VIII
Diablo 1-3
Tomb Raider series (TR3 especially)
Sims 1-3
Warcraft 3 + expansion
World of Warcraft
Starcraft II
League of Legends
Minecraft

I guess that's about it.

Last edited:
It really depends. Resident Evil 4 had beautiful gameplay, but a meh-story and voice acting, still love that game. MGS 1 had an absolutely GENIUS story, great gameplay, but it lacked a good camera and first person, taking the skill level down by a lot (a problem TTS fixed). MGS 3 is my favorite of the series, with great gameplay, more focus on stealth, and over the top boss fights and a great story of conspiracy and betrayal. I also love Wind Waker, it was my first Zelda game. I really like Stuntman: Ignition, because it was so out-of-the-box and creative.

Level 11
It really depends. Resident Evil 4 had beautiful gameplay, but a meh-story and voice acting, still love that game. MGS 1 had an absolutely GENIUS story, great gameplay, but it lacked a good camera and first person, taking the skill level down by a lot (a problem TTS fixed). MGS 3 is my favorite of the series, with great gameplay, more focus on stealth, and over the top boss fights and a great story of conspiracy and betrayal. I also love Wind Waker, it was my first Zelda game. I really like Stuntman: Ignition, because it was so out-of-the-box and creative.

What does MGS and TTS stands for?

Btw,i can also say that Fahrenheit was also a very awesome game,with an awesome story,and characters...lol...if u haven't played it,u have to,if u did,then u know what i'm talking about :p

Splinter Cell Double Agent was also a nice game...I had it on my ps2,and i played it only on coop with my sister :))...but i lost the dvd

Level 17
Miss_Foxy is one of the best games of all time, definitely.
Grim Fandango is too.
Same with Pikmin.
I liked that game.

Level 4
My previous list, added something more (bolded games are, by my opinion, best games EVAR):

Crysis 2
Magicka
Bionic Commando 2008
Batman: Arkham Asylum
BlazBlue
Terraria
Halo (every game except Wars)
Portal 2
World of Warcraft
Transformers WFC

Level 13
No particular order:
WoW
Warcraft
GTA
Fallout
CoD
Most Valve games
Spiral Knights
A few more.

Level 22
Best shooters of all time...

1. Halo 3
2. Killzone 2
3. Call of Duty 4
4. Halo 2
5. Call of Duty 2

Best RTS's of all time...

1. Warcraft III
2. Dawn of War ((First game) Any Expansion)
3. Red Alert 2
4. Civilization IV
5. Age of Empires II

My favorite RPG of all time is Elder Scrolls Oblivion, I can't wait for Skyrim 11.11.11 baby. Imo I didn't like Diablo 2 that much.

Level 11
Best shooters of all time...

1. Halo 3
2. Killzone 2
3. Call of Duty 4
4. Halo 2
5. Call of Duty 2

Best RTS's of all time...

1. Warcraft III
2. Dawn of War ((First game) Any Expansion)
3. Red Alert 2
4. Civilization IV
5. Age of Empires II

My favorite RPG of all time is Elder Scrolls Oblivion, I can't wait for Skyrim 11.11.11 baby. Imo I didn't like Diablo 2 that much.

Me too...though my crappy pc won't run it...but ohh...i want to see how it will come out...
btw...Civilization isn't more of a turn based strategy game?

Level 34
lol

In an attempt to get people to think I'm "cool" because I played old games....

Sega: Garfield, Lion King, Aladdin, Batman, Vector Man 2 - All games I loved as a kid.
PC: Commander Keen, Lands of Lore - Games I loved as a slightly older kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.