• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sandbox games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
There are so many good ones. A couple that I've recently played and enjoyed are:
-Skyrim
-Far Cry 3
-Grand Theft Auto series. V looks amazing.
-Saints Row Series

and it has sand... hahaha... have you tried playing it? it's really fun to play and does not need high specs too... graphics is not the whole point of games (though a lot of kids think that, they determine whether to buy a game or not based on graphics)...

plus, as of now, I don't think there is another game that does what minecraft does... or at least does it as good as minecraft does...

and if you're really concerned with graphics, there are HD texture packs that you can download

can be... since building things take some strategical thinking... though I only really play that to build things...

it's a nice game to play when you're bored... most sandbox that I play are like that... XD

but seriously, minecraft is one of the best examples of sandbox since it has both sands and boxes, and actual sandboxes... hahahahahahaha

Level 22
@mckill
Sandbox games don't restrict the player by enforcing objectives or any of the sort whilst Open ended games may or may not contain (optional) an objective for the player to perform. Both of them, however, offer a non-linear gameplay.

Level 22
I forgot to mention that sandbox games provide tools to manipulate game environment while you play, at least that's what wikipedia says. If we use that definition then Skyrim is not a sandbox game, since it lacks the said feature.

EDIT: I agree with Adiktuz, since Skyrim has areas you can't go without completing or undergoing a quest (like Sovngarde).

Level 34
Sandbox redirects you to open world on wikipedia. From what I knew/am reading now, sandbox and open world are basically the same thing.

Level 29
I can browse that wikipedia anytime, but point being, I dont like to read that much to 'know' something, I'd like shortcuts and brief explanation...

From what I've understood now;

Open World is like;
1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5 (goal is 5)

Sandbox means;
1+4 = 5
2+3 = 5
5*1 = 5
5/1 = 5
etc...

same thing, goal is 5...conclusion, sandbox games are more dynamic than open world, although sandbox canbe an open world, but not vice versa...

Level 22
No, sandbox redirects to non-linear video game level design.
Ah fuck, wikipedia does redirect sandbox to open world, but the sandbox link on the open world article links to non-linear blah blah. Sorry Giles, I stand corrected.

Level 21
I think that:
Minecraft=Sandbox
Skyrim (TESV)=Open World (+GTA+++)

This.

Sandbox and open world are definitely not the same. They can exist together, but they are fundamentally different.
In this case minecraft is also an open world RPG, which somewhat makes it less into a sandbox, but it's still close enough due to having so much do build.

Sandbox - A game where you have vast control over the environment(godgame)
Open world RPG - A game where you control a main unit(maybe others too, but doesn't matter) and you do not have a specific plot or storyline that you have to follow OR you can follow it, but don't need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.