• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Best fitting color for each race?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

i prefer light blue for the human, red for orc, purple for NE and green for the undead.

Level 11
I think the colours used in campaigns best represent the race (mostly).

Humans: Blue as main and Silver White as secondary (like in WC2).

Orcs: Red as main and Black as secondary, strong, plain and direct colours.

Undead: Purple mainly, it just seems to fit them, that mix of red which denotes fierce offensive capabilities and blue that stands for something that is very difficult to destroy. I would go for Green or Orange as secondary, they are sickly colours, denoting disease and decay.

Night Elves: Probably Dark Green or Teal, colours of a deep forest. I dislike the use of Blue for Night Elves in the campaigns.

Other Races

Naga: Difficult one, I can't put a colour on them...Blue would be wasted, so maybe Red to contrast their scales?

Legion: What colour do you guys think the Burning Legion would use? In the campaign they use whatever colour the Scourge is having on that mission. I think Green fits them best, but I'm not very sure. Maybe Orange or Red?

Roland

R

Roland

Human - Light Blue or Blue
Orc - Red or Orange
Undead - Green, Purple or maybe Dark Green
Night Elf - Purple or Blue
Naga - Green

Level 12
This is a great question, and one that I realize now I've put a lot of thought into. In my opinion, the best colors are:
  • Humans: Traditionally Blue and White, but honestly Brown or Gray looks more realistic overall.
  • Orcs: Red
  • Undead: Purple or Green
  • Night Elves: Dark Green or possibly Teal would be good, but I really think the campaign sells itself short by making them Blue. It doesn't fit at all, and it's frustrating when the Humans already had this color in previous campaigns. It's not like they ran out of colors to choose, too.
  • Naga: Teal, possibly, or Light Blue.
  • Quel'thalas Elves: Green
  • Blood Elves: Red
  • Goblins: Gray or Pink
  • Ogres: Gray or Brown

This actually reminded me of some memories I had with WarCraft II back in the day. As a kid, I thought it was so cool that every color had its own nation and clan. Blizzard put a lot of emphasis on that in that game (and in StarCraft I), but it's pretty much lost it now as the human nations' borders have blurred and stuff in WoW and WarCraft III.

I actually made a concept map based on this where you not only choose your core race, but also a specific nation, clan, etc. within that race, just like Age of Empires, and each different color denotes a different technology tree. For example, humans have Azeroth (blue; variety of races, balanced units), Dalaran (purple; magic emphasis), and Alterac (orange; traitors, with bandit units).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
This actually reminded me of some memories I had with WarCraft II back in the day. As a kid, I thought it was so cool that every color had its own nation and clan. Blizzard put a lot of emphasis on that in that game (and in StarCraft I), but it's pretty much lost it now as the human nations' borders have blurred and stuff in WoW and WarCraft III.

I actually made a concept map based on this where you not only choose your core race, but also a specific nation, clan, etc. within that race, just like Age of Empires, and each different color denotes a different technology tree. For example, humans have Azeroth (blue; variety of races, balanced units), Dalaran (purple; magic emphasis), and Alterac (orange; traitors, with bandit units).
Glad to hear someone else getting obsessive over little details. : )

Actually, what you describe is how things were done with Blizzard RTS games for a while (Warcraft 2 & Starcraft, primarily); each of the colors actually represented a different 'sub-faction' within the primary factions. It wasn't meant to be super-important to the game, but it's that extra bit of flavor that made reading the manual a thing. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.