• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Bare Bones Editor Challenge #1 - Freestyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Welcome to the Bare Bones (BB) Editor Challenge: Challenge #1 - Freestyle

This is a special contest in which the participants must make a functional map within two weeks. However there are several conditions that must be adhered to.

Conditions:

- Absolutely NO Imports of any kind, whether it be models, systems, spells, icons, anything. This is an organic challenge using only your knowledge of triggers and the resources provided to you in the editor. (There are several tutorials on the Hive Workshop which show some cool, hidden resources in the editor for you to take advantage of.) This includes the dummy unit model file.

- Custom units are of course allowed, but as said above, no imports can be used.

- GUI and JASS only. No vJASS or any other enhanced coding methods.

- No protecting your maps, there will be no way to check whether a competitor imported something if they protect their map.

- Maps can be as short or as long as you want.

- For the purpose of fair voting, maps that are cinematic with no gameplay are not allowed. This is a contest meant to determine just what people can do in the editor with no add-ons or imports.

- Absolutely no map templates are allowed, this includes spell templates, AOS templates, anime templates, etc. Along with this, no using any of Blizzard’s terrain / any other map’s terrain as a base for your map.

- The map must adhere to the genre of the bi-weekly contest (this contest is freestyle, so your map can be any genre.)

- The map must be in a functional, playable state within two weeks.

- All maps must coincide with the rules of The Hive Workshop submission guidelines.

Voting will judge multiple characteristics of the map:

- Does the map adhere to the rules of the contest and the Hive Workshop?
- Is the map concept creative?
- Is the map functional?
- Is the map fun?
- How numerous are the leaks and bugs if any?
- In what creative ways did the map creator use the tools in the editor?
- Is the map presented well? (Thing such as sound design, cinematics, atmosphere)

Prizes: Yet to be determined.

Last edited:
- No using any of Blizzard’s terrain / any other map’s terrain as a base for your map.
Damn, my terrain sucks hard.

- GUI and JASS only. No vJASS or any other enhanced coding methods.
Pains me hard when I remember that I want to try using libraries from VJASS.

- Absolutely NO Imports of any kind, whether it be models, systems, spells, icons, anything. This is an organic challenge using only your knowledge of triggers and the resources provided to you in the editor. (There are several tutorials on the Hive Workshop which show some cool, hidden resources in the editor for you to take advantage of.) This includes the dummy unit model file.
Not bad, but the dummy model file is not important anyway for most spells.

Wait a second, is teamwork allowed?

Disallowing the use of vJass is kinda annoying for people that would much rather use it than any other form of coding for WE but w/e.
I find the rules to be fine though.

- Absolutely no map templates are allowed, this includes spell templates, AOS templates, anime templates, etc.

- No using any of Blizzard’s terrain / any other map’s terrain as a base for your map.
These rules should be merged as apart of the no imports rule.

Level 30
Interesting, pretty much agreed with chobibo. I might aswell do a TD as it is simple to execute and mostly many tutorials on how to start one of a TD are in the internet though the hard prt will be balancing towers. Im on with this incase this will become a reality.

Level 14
Sorry it took a while for me to reply everyone, I've had quite a busy couple of days (I am homeless after all xD)

That's silly, vjass when compiled becomes jass. WEU is the thing that shouldn't be allowed for incompatibility in editors.

The outcome of this contests will be inefficient maps if you keep this rule.

Well, answer me a question. Does vJASS require any additional add-ons? Can you write vJASS in the editor itself or do you need an add-on? If the answer is you need an add-on, then it isn't allowed.

Disallowing the use of vJass is kinda annoying for people that would much rather use it than any other form of coding for WE but w/e.
I find the rules to be fine though.

These rules should be merged as apart of the no imports rule.

But forcing people to use what's given to them is the challenge. Can they make efficient triggers without the aid of vJASS? That's why it's called "bare bones." Also I'll merge the two rules, thanks for the pointer.

i want to participate but what kind of contest is this?
i don't understand the description, all i see there are Conditions

It's basically a map making contest, can you make a map of any kind within two weeks without using imports, enhanced coding or third party tools?

would the use of JNGP be allowed?

It's an add-on, so no.

So, say if I wanted to join, could I submit a Tower Defense type of map?

Yes. As long as it follows the rules of the contest, you can make any type of map except for a cinematic map.

This is an interesting idea. Not sure what I'd make, but I decry the over-abundance of imports.

Except for my projects, which are pure, wholesome and perfect in their usage of custom resources. :D

Someone's humble :xxd: I haven't tried one of your maps but I'm sure they're pretty awesome.

In terms of rule clarification for everyone else, NO ADD-ONS ARE ALLOWED. If you can't make it or code it with the standard World Editor, then you can't use it. Simple as that, no room for interpretation here.

Level 15
Well, answer me a question. Does vJASS require any additional add-ons? Can you write vJASS in the editor itself or do you need an add-on? If the answer is you need an add-on, then it isn't allowed.
Though the idea of seeing how much can be done with a restricted editor is appealing, you must be prepared to have non efficient maps. If you can accept that, then there's no problem.

Level 14
Though the idea of seeing how much can be done with a restricted editor is appealing, you must be prepared to have non efficient maps. If you can accept that, then there's no problem.

I have no problems accepting that. That's the fun part of it though, seeing just what you can do with conditions applied.
Also for those who just are checking out this topic now, check on the first page for all the rules / another post in which I gave some clarification and replied to some quotes in regards to the rules.

Personally, I think I'm gonna make a melee map. I've always wanted to make one, yet I've never gotten around to it.

You can do JASS without JNGP, but it will be a fucking pain in the ass. Or you can use jasscraft :D
Yep, a big pain in the ass to be honest.
But JassCraft is the best alternative to JNGP Jass Coding [as it's not directly at WE, but separated from WE itself, which means it's not like an add-ons for WE].

Wraithon
Did we really even have to use those kind of system with manual creation?

Level 14
I'm not familiar with JASSCRAFT. Can someone here explain?
As for the start date of the contest, I'd like to begin it as soon as possible. Does this contest have to be approved by the mods? How can I officially get this underway.

Level 14
To have it be official, yes, it would have to be approved.

Unofficially, you can do whatever you want whenever you want, but there would be no rewards awarded by administrators and no advertising of the contest.

Thanks for the information! + Rep

Is there a way that the mods can take notice of this, I'd prefer to have it be official before I start it. If there's no chance of that then I'll just have the contest start tomorrow if everyone participating is up for it (it seems as though there are six participants at least from what I've seen in here)

- For the purpose of fair voting, maps that are cinematic with no gameplay are not allowed. This is a contest meant to determine just what people can do in the editor with no add-ons or imports.
I think that includes the Widgetizer [I can't remember well, but Widgetizer can block map as Vex Optimizer does].

BlackEnvy
Shouldn't you also restrict Map Protection of any sort? [Unless you mean the No Add-Ons is including Map Protection]

I think that includes the Widgetizer [I can't remember well, but Widgetizer can block map as Vex Optimizer does].

BlackEnvy
Shouldn't you also restrict Map Protection of any sort? [Unless you mean the No Add-Ons is including Map Protection]

- No protecting your maps

You mean like that? Read before trying to point out "flaws".

Level 23
why can't you participate?

I could only use the WE during weekends so if this contest will only be for a couple of weeks then I would only have 4 days to make an entry. I dunno if I could make something within that short time limit.

Just for clarification, The contestants would only use the Default WE to make the map. No more and no less right?

Seriously? No protection? Hundreds of copy catters are ready to munch on the delicious entries.

Firstly, no protection is hive's standard policy anyway. Public upload can be protected, but an unprotected copy has always been required for the moderator.

Secondly, who would steal from a barebones map made in 2 weeks?

Level 14
Map protection is not allowed, I've had maps of mine stolen before, believe me I know it isn't fun (but I got the thief permabanned from Epic War so that's a plus), but the reason it's not allowed is because it requires imports, and it prevents checking to see if a contestant used any imports of any kind.

Hmm, I guess I could whip up a mini game. I'll try then if this contest will be started. :)

I don't think map protection is necessary though. I don't think someone would benefit much from stealing maps.

Go for it, any map other than a cinematic map is fine as long as you follow the rules of the contest. A mini-game map could be fun.

to keep entries' safety
i suggest to submit your entry (unprotected) through PM
and post the protected one here
what do you say, envy?

I think that's a good idea, and then in the private message people can specify whether or not they want to protect their map before release. I would just need to see it unprotected to make sure no imports were used.

Status
Not open for further replies.