• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Landscape Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
The idea of this challenge is to create a city, using only Blizzard doodads.

Rules and Guidelines

- Your terrain must be based around a city. Everything must be complete.
- At least 3 WIP screenshots must be posted before submitting your final result.
- The map does not have to be playable.
- No imported models or textures can be used, with the expection of the tablenolegs model
- The theme of the city is completely up to you, but be creative.
- The usual rules apply (no stealing other peoples work, etc.)
- No team work. Only 1 person is allowed per terrain.
- Must submit the map and 3 or more screenshots.
- Note that you are not restricted to a simple city. It can be an ancient ruin, a small Western-style town, anything.

Prize: The winner will receive +35 rep, and an award icon. Second place will receive +20, and third +10. All runners up will receive a consolation prize (small amount of rep.)

Deadline: You will have 6 weeks to complete the terrain. The deadline will reduced or extended depending on the number of entries.

The winner will be determined by a public pole.

Edit: Could an admin change the title of this thread displayed in the forum?

Last edited:
Level 8
I agree with Chaos, please add some rules on custom models at the very least, allowing all contestants access to the same resources to ensure a level playing field

Level 8
Still against in general, no theme at all here.

- You are not allowed to use Blizzard trees or cliffs. They hinder creativity, and are ugly.

eh, have seen a lot nice terrains with cliffs, they are very usfull if you can handle with them ...

PLEASE do not count my opinion on choosing Terrain Contest, just my opinion to this special one, and if these rules would stay as they are, I wouldn't join in.

Chaos:infl_thumbs_up:

Level 4
For some reason, to me the phrases "you must use Blizzard " and "are not allowed to use Blizzard trees or cliffs" do not belong togather. You can't disallow an option just becasue something somewhere looked bad to you...
If you want to bad cliffs, tell me what to replace them with??? Should we all make plains landscape or spam a "custom" cliff?
Please do not ban anything Blizzard related, thats what makes it fun.
The part about importing also bugs me... The contest should be about skill and creativity, not who found the best model (and custom models dont agree with me...)

Its an interesting idea if not really challenging, but looks like it would be fun to "attempt."

Level 6
I have not made the purpose of this challenge clear enough. I will edit the first post to state clearly what I expect of this challenge.

I see that most of you have never heard of the raise/lower tool. Blizzard cliffs do not require much effort, and can only provide one shape. They completely go against the focus of this challenge.

The focus of this challenge is to create a landscape. Doodads are not the focus here. It will be far more challenging than you realize.

Take a look at this tutorial here
And the last part of this tutorial.
I do not expect you to create something on the same level of this, but I want you to focus on the underlying terrain, constructing it with similar methods as shown here. This may seem difficult at first, but once you get the hang of it, it should become easier.

Last edited:
Level 4
urgh....
I see what you mean with the concept of a "landscape" challange, but it seams weird....
To me, landscape dosnt seem like something that can be judged. You've got either horribly bad or, anything that looks remotely natural (random) and beyond. Nature is "naturaly" random and non-symetrical, therefore, a contest on randomness dosent seem like a good "contest."
If you really want a landscape type challange, why not put in that you MUST have some sort of man made structure in the landscape so it isn't a battle of the random (+ imported.... Ewww...) doodads....

Level 8
I think the main problem people are having with this contest is its extreme openness. It allows people to show their creativity more than most contests, but sometimes guidelines are needed to inspire the contestants.

Besides, since this is a public poll, there could be equally great landscapes but one will triumph over the other just becuase the public enjoys one type of terrain over the other (as in Mountains vs waterfall).

I think we should have more specific subject guidelines for a better judging outcome.

Level 8
For some reason, to me the phrases "you must use Blizzard " and "are not allowed to use Blizzard trees or cliffs" do not belong togather. You can't disallow an option just becasue something somewhere looked bad to you...
If you want to bad cliffs, tell me what to replace them with??? Should we all make plains landscape or spam a "custom" cliff?
Please do not ban anything Blizzard related, thats what makes it fun.
The part about importing also bugs me... The contest should be about skill and creativity, not who found the best model (and custom models dont agree with me...)

Its an interesting idea if not really challenging, but looks like it would be fun to "attempt."

Amen, brother !

Chaos:infl_thumbs_up:

Level 6
You all fail to understand the point of the challenge. It is not about doodads, but rather your skill to shape the underlying terrain. Using cliffs provides only one shape, and defeats the purpose of this challenge. Simply dragging around the cliff brush requires no thought or effort. It's just stacking an ugly model in the easiest way possible.

Anyways, read my original post, the theme has changed.

Level 4
didn't this contest way something along the lines of, "No imported models or textures can be used, with the expection of the tablenolegs model"....
Sorry to say this, but I think the second you let one custom model in (no matter how "simple") the contest is shot and its all down hill form there... Importing models destroyes the whole concept of a fair contest. Looking at the previously mentioned model, (a pier minus the posts) it is very simple, but if I could make small changes such as that, mapping would be so much easier. Yes importing would be nice, but isnt theis supposed to be a contest of skill and creativity? If something dosent work, find another way...
Also, as far as mapping goes, isnt importing a simple model a HUGE advantage, for arnt all models simply millions of "simple" triangles? If I could import even the simplest of a 2D square as a model (and had the time) no-one could compete....

Level 8
Were you aware that the model you imported is almost identical to the wooden bridge model that is in the blizz archive already? You totally don't need to import....

EDIT: Oh, and Ham Ham, you may want to come up with a different idea for your landscape, as Herio-San (posted below) made a sumission to the fortress challenge that looks very similar to yours. I'm not saying you copied or anything, just informing you that the idea has been done before.

Last edited:
Ham Ham, you may want to come up with a different idea for your landscape, as Herio-San (posted below) made a sumission to the fortress challenge that looks very similar to yours. I'm not saying you copied or anything, just informing you that the idea has been done before.

I maked this map absolutely expontanilyous, on 2 hours. When making this map, I never was thinking in another map.

I dont think people are actually supposed to submit work until the contest is accepted. :sad:

Whoops, sorry. I need to delete it, but I dont know how to make it.
And, I any way, I forgot to add a few things.

Level 32
At present there is no terrain challenge underway:

One factor in favor of this contest is that it has been long-submitted and has already drawn some interest.

A major factor against this idea is that the previous terrain challenge was fortress/citadel based.

It MIGHT be possible to combine this concept with: Oceanic Citadel Contest and make one challenge out of two (slightly) similar submissions.

Level 8
I've been trying to think of a one where you're limited to only a set number of available doodad models that youre able to twist around and rearrange. Similiar to the terraining exercise things on the wc3sear.ch forums....i can still picture Beams amazing pirate ship made from tables and support columns.

Maybe....a war machine using only like 4-5 models? Thats all ive been able to think of

Level 10
Well wasn't this the most confusing thread ever. . ."we're doing this. . .wait nvm we're doing this. . .or this. . .or. . ."

I DO however, like the original idea about the terrain. . .I wasn't confused by it at all. . .

The city one sounded good as well. . .

As does the war machine. . .=D

Status
Not open for further replies.