• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Are zergs underpowered in Starcraft 2?

Are zergs weak in Starcraft 2

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
A baneling dies and it causes an explosion.
Meaning blow one up and they all take damage. Mostly. Might not kill them, but they'll be weaker.
Banelings also are very, VERY weak (20HP) so don't complain. A builder has more health than that.
They die and they explode. They attack and they explode. They use an ability and they explode. Meaning they're delicate. So don't complain. It's hard to set up a good baneling trap. I've tried multiple times.
In the Battle Reports, banelings are burrowed for surprise traps. Unfortunately, something like that just makes it look like it's easy to do. It's not. I'm surprised they pulled that off. (It was probably planned ahead of time that that would happen, for the sake of the public.)

Level 4
ok i have played zerg (in sc 2) many times. the Roaches can own thors in a matter of milliseconds if you have enough. just reinforce roaches with a air attacker and your fine

Level 9
ok i have played zerg (in sc 2) many times. the Roaches can own thors in a matter of milliseconds if you have enough. just reinforce roaches with a air attacker and your fine

Yes roaches are incredibly powerful and cheap when used in ground to ground, I think it gives the zerg the upper hand in early combat since its cheap to get and its available in the Hatchery stage, the health damage and regeneration make it a very tough opponent from the games I've played as and against Zerg.

Level 6
Zerg have Roaches, which are OP.
Zerg have the fastest production thanks to the Queen.
Zerg Hydralisks just got nerfed.. and they STILL rock.
Zerg Mutalisks are the most versatile air unit in the game, and it shows.

Fun fact! Zerg infestors can take control of enemy workers and use them to build stuff, and yes, that does mean you can get your very own protoss/terran/zerg army. Terran and Protoss can't do this.

In starcraft 1, that was possible too for the protoss using the dark archon, yet it hardly affected gameplay at all. You would rather give your opponent an upperhand, since you had to restart on a new tech tree from another race.

Also, keep in mind that the zerg has no mass-killing units like for example the terran.
1: the banshee, which in masses fires huge AoE-volleys that insta-kills most ground units
2: Nukes FTW!
And the colossi for the protoss, which in groups of 3+ are more than capable of dealing with a sizeable zergling force.

Finally, about production: terrans have the reactor, and protoss have the chrono boost, which will effect ALL nearby unit-producing buildings.

EDIT: on second thought, since there's such a die-hard controversy on this, maybe zerg should recieve further nerf. There was no remarks of imbalance on the first starcraft game, apart from perhaps the dark swarm, which in some situations would be a bit too overpowered.

Level 6
In starcraft 1, that was possible too for the protoss using the dark archon, yet it hardly affected gameplay at all. You would rather give your opponent an upperhand, since you had to restart on a new tech tree from another race.

Also, keep in mind that the zerg has no mass-killing units like for example the terran.
1: the banshee, which in masses fires huge AoE-volleys that insta-kills most ground units
2: Nukes FTW!
And the colossi for the protoss, which in groups of 3+ are more than capable of dealing with a sizeable zergling force.

Finally, about production: terrans have the reactor, and protoss have the chrono boost, which will effect ALL nearby unit-producing buildings.

I don't know if you've actually played the beta yet, but banshee's are butter to hydras, and nukes are borderline useless.

Colossi also very easily get butchered by hydra, but if your feeling brutal, you can just turn em against the protoss with an infestor.

Also, infestors come with the mind control ability for free, and you don't have to go out of your way in the tech tree to get them. Infestors can burrow and move while underground, and taking control of another race can be game-changing. Have you ever had medvacs and mutalisks before? If so, you know what I'm talking about then, there's no counter.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I assure you the ballence will be pretty good. Despite most of the idiot ballence ideas on the battlenet forum, it appears that blizzard is only listening to privatly sent ballence sujestions from top plat league players who logically will understand the game far better than anyone else (unless they cheat which I have not heard of any yet). On top of that they have atleast 1 professional starcraft player working for them on ballence so I guess they know what they are doing.

It actually appearead that the terrans were the weakest of the races but the recent buffs should have fixed that.

Level 12

Yeah. So? And the colossi has it's own counter just like zerglings do. That's the point of the game; using the right counter.

Infestors can burrow and move while underground.

So can Roaches. They need an upgrade, however, but it still tends to be a bit cheap, what with instant roach economy harassment. Of course, that's what photon cannons/observers, spore crawlers/overseers and missile turrets/ravens are for.

Zerg are excelent early game, but from what i hear, there not so great late game, lacking in a solid air defence.

It does seem like there not even checking the forums..
Although alot of good stuff is posted on the forums, that isnt about "nerf this, nerf that"

I personally think players SHOULDNT be allowed to comment on balance issues at all, unless they have atleast 100 wins under their belt.
I also believe the forums should be split..., for ideas/suggestions, balance, ect

@Hero_Lief grats on your victory, against 2 computers with the 'very easy' AI setting..
beating a buncha rtarded comps with a buncha zerglings doesnt prove anything. especially concidering my third game, i played 2 comps, and I had 50% health, and still won without much hassle. And no im not a good player...

Oh and your primary selected unit.... thats not a zergling ;), although it seems the rest were

Level 12
Zerg are excelent early game, but from what i hear, there not so great late game, lacking in a solid air defence.

It does seem like there not even checking the forums..
Although alot of good stuff is posted on the forums, that isnt about "nerf this, nerf that"

I personally think players SHOULDNT be allowed to comment on balance issues at all, unless they have atleast 100 wins under their belt.
I also believe the forums should be split..., for ideas/suggestions, balance, ect

@Hero_Lief grats on your victory, against 2 computers with the 'very easy' AI setting..
beating a buncha rtarded comps with a buncha zerglings doesnt prove anything. especially concidering my third game, i played 2 comps, and I had 50% health, and still won without much hassle. And no im not a good player...

Oh and your primary selected unit.... thats not a zergling ;), although it seems the rest were

No, it wasn't "very easy", I wasn't facing a Blizzard AI. It was a user AI on insane. Which was damn hard.

No, the unit portrait is actually a Corruptor, which I used to scout out terrain to place my worms at (you need vision of a spot to send worms to). The Corruptor had almost no effect on the win because Corruptors can only attack air, so all it could do on top of scouting was take out two medivacs that wouldn't really have changed the tide of battle in the first place.

Level 12
Well, it technically IS supported with the beta, since it works without mods, except for the mod itself... MPQ editing.

Level 12
Zerg was always based around numerical supremecay, so they make look like there getting owned and loosing ridiculous amounts of units but doesnt mean there underpowered :)

As for MotherShips etc. it was the same in SC1 they had more cheaper mid tier units to overhwelm.

But as already said lets wait until the game comes out first!

Level 2
David Kim is one of the best players on Blizzard, if he'd play zerg this topic would probobly be about the zergs overpowerness.

I'm playing the beta, zergs aren't underpowered.
"only have the Queen", 4 larvae every 40 sec per Hatchery/Lair/Hive ain't that bad, the Queen stands for 1/3, if not half of your production so I'd take my Queens over any Mothership

Glory to the Swarm

Level 4
they definately are not, they have cheeper buildings (exept for spawning pool) and roaches are just overpowered. Protoss are the weakest to me

Level 12
Untrue, stalker massing wins, zealot massing wins, and uhh... Mothership massing wins, if only it were possible.

Level 9
Untrue, stalker massing wins, zealot massing wins, and uhh... Mothership massing wins, if only it were possible.

Zealots move far too slow when they don't have their speed upgrade, just about any other ranged unit can outpace and fire at them constantly, picking them off 1 by 1, wouldn't matter how many you massed.

Level 12
The guy is cheating, lol.
6IW2BX5ZCQKMDRE2V2SIO2LIOWJM5VIN.preview.jpeg

Level 9
What if you cover the map in Zealots? :p

Clearly your logic has me defeated... no wait, it hasn't.
What if Zealots could fire lazers? What if Zealots could open black holes? What if they could fly like birds? What if their blades came with extensions? What if they could dance and sing?

If they could dance and sing, this is the song they would sing:

We're no strangers to love
You know the rules and so do I
A full commitment's what I'm thinking of
You wouldn't get this from any other guy
I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling
Gotta make you understand

CHORUS
Never gonna give you up,
Never gonna let you down,
Never gonna run around and desert you,
Never gonna make you cry,
Never gonna say goodbye,
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

We've known each other for so long
Your heart's been aching but you're too shy to say it
Inside we both know what's been going on
We know the game and we're gonna play it
And if you ask me how I'm feeling
Don't tell me you're too blind to see

(CHORUS)

CHORUSCHORUS
(Ooh give you up)
(Ooh give you up)
(Ooh) never gonna give, never gonna give
(give you up)
(Ooh) never gonna give, never gonna give
(give you up)

We've known each other for so long
Your heart's been aching but you're too shy to say it
Inside we both know what's been going on
We know the game and we're gonna play it

I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling
Gotta make you understand

(CHORUS)

really though, other than the queen, id say zerg are probably underpowered, but having the queen makes up for all of that, with its insane larva spawn rate..., which i really hate XD

Level 2
Yeah the Broodlords are kinda overpowered, they're like flying ultralisks that shoot zerglings from so far away that turrets can't reach them and they're pretty cheap.
Only counter is a shitload of airunits.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Gorthag, or correct micro management. You have to realise that your marines will like to shoot their spawns, instead of them. Thus 20 marines uncontroled can die to 1 of those buggers. However control them properly and focus on the damn thing and those 20 marines suddenly wipe the flaw of the 1 broodlord (unless speed prevents it).

Obviously air units with good anti air capabilities are the actual counter to those units, seeing as their anti air is missing and all, but do not confuse their effectiveness with the other players poor playing skills.

Level 10
Even the title of the thread makes me want to go spam Zerglings and Hydralisks at someone and crush them utterly.
I doubt that the Zerg are going to end up more or less powerful than any other race, because Blizzard would never let that happen. I can't comment on gameplay itself, because I don't have a Beta key, but I assure you Blizzard will make it balanced.

Level 12
Of course they will. We're discussing their state of power at this place in time.

I, for one, think the Zerg are volatile. If you can barely use them you fail. Only if you can use them well (or rush kekeke) will you be good with them. Unlike the other races, where if you can barely use them they aren't that great but you might survive longer than with Zerg.

I don't know, just my personal opinion.

Level 9
It is a shame though where the Hydralisk ended up in SC2, its not worthy of being a Lair unit and is too costly to get for the small bonus it has to health and damage in SC2, its main purpose appears to be the Zerg's grounded anti-air, other than that Roaches cover all their needs on the ground, kinda disappointing considering how popular the Hydras were for Zerg in the original Starcraft.

Level 17
I, for one, think the Zerg are volatile. If you can barely use them you fail. Only if you can use them well (or rush kekeke) will you be good with them. Unlike the other races, where if you can barely use them they aren't that great but you might survive longer than with Zerg.

I don't know, just my personal opinion.

You will loose with any race if you do not know how to play them.
It is probably becouse people is used to the other races, like the terran for example. Terran is very standard and most RTS games have something similar to it. Like the human and orcs in warcraft 3 for example.
Zerg is something entierly different, but if you know what your doing, and focus on playing them, it wont be hard at all.

Zerg may not be as userfriendly as the other races, but that is probably just becouse people is not used to them.

That is what i think, and it makes sense to me.

It is like if you use a playstation controller for 5 years, then try the xbox controller. You will PROBABLY say that you lik the playstation controller more and that it feels better to you. Usually becouse you are used to that.

Level 17
Zerg and undead is not really similar.
Isnt the only thing that makes them similar the building placement?
Other then that they are very different.
I would say that protoss and undead is more similar when it comes to building stuff.

Terran > Orcs & Human
All 3 or them is very similar to each other. They are pretty much the basics of an RTS.
They have the normal build method, you place a building and they start to work on it.

Zerg > Nightelf
The builder transforms into the building. Both have "living" buildings.
Zerg have buildings that actually live, i think they even can get healed. And nightelf have the trees that live

Protoss > Undead
Okay, so protoss does not really have the exact same building placement method, but they are still similar in the way that they both can place buildings and walk away.
They both have buildings as supply, and zerg does not have that.
And even though they do not have the exact same building method, it is still similar.
You buy pylons to be able to build more, same with undead. And both get supply for doing it.

BTW, i am not going by the looks of the races at all.
If i was going for the look, i would obviously choose Zerg and Undead. :p

Level 12
Zerg may not be as userfriendly as the other races, but that is probably just becouse people** are not used to them.
**Koreans are not people.

It is like if you use a playstation controller for 5 years, then try the xbox controller. You will PROBABLY say that you lik the playstation controller more and that it feels better to you. Usually becouse you are used to that.
Exactly. You get accustomed to what you grow up with and compare everything off of that.

As for the hydra lair problem, IDEA.

Switch Hydralisks and Roaches, nub. =3
Roaches are so OP they're more like a lair than anything else. As for Hydras, we need them as hatchery, though the hardest hatchery unit to get.

Level 9
Great, Patch 8 has left the Hydralisk in an even weaker state, 90 to 80 health, and the cost of it is still the same as well as its humble 12 damage, I fear the unit that was practically the symbol of Zerg might and versatility is starting to crumble before our very eyes.

Level 12
It's taken on a different role in SC2 as opposed to SC.
You have to remember that things will change in SC2.
Units will get different purposes.

Level 8
I doubt they intentionally try to do it.
It just might accidentally happen if they actually are lil bit stupid and dont design that stuff well enough.

Level 7
Zergs have broodlords, which equals mobile air siege tanks in siege mode, sort of... They own all ground and have 275 HP, why whine for another superduperkewl unit? :p Also, the Thor doesn't count, or you'd have to count battlecruisers, ultralisks, brood lords, carriers and colossi as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.