1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Are You going to Sell your maps?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by kRaZy-bLaZeR, Feb 3, 2010.

?

Are you going to sell maps?

1. $$$$

36 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. Some Maps

38 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. No

40 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. LOLWUT? HELL NO

99 vote(s)
    46.5%
  1. ShrEad-ER

ShrEad-ER

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's not like you see multiple copies of the same HL2 mod, right?
    The premium maps must be in a quality, not even DotA, or some of the other greatest maps so far made, have met. (DotA was just the first to come in mind, i don't actually play it.)
    It is going to be in such a quality, that it is no longer considered as a map, but as a mod.

And try to copy DotA. Not an easy job.

Just to clarify again:
    You didn't see multiple types of Gmod. You didn't see multiple types of Natural Selection. And you also (almost) didn't see any other mods remade, for HL2.

Remaking a map is not an easy job. And especially not a map of mod quallity.

I will do nothing, but believe in Battle.net 2.0's features. It is after all - as i've been mentioning before - Blizzard we are talking about.

EDIT: It is kinda funny how i got +2 rep for posting in this thread XD

2. Twisting

Twisting

Resources:
    Resources:
    Even if I made a map that could be sold i don't know if i would. Would i keep my rights to the map? skins? models? story? what if I plan to take the ideas i made in a map to a company, but find out i can't use it because i sold it blizzard. Plus if the maps being sold are as good as people claim they'll have to be, then copying them will take as much work as making the map (if they can even copy it up to the same quality). So I probably won't sell my maps unless i make a high quality map(s)/Campain(s) that i plan to sell.

3. ShrEad-ER

ShrEad-ER

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You would probably have to agree on some terms of condition if you ever where so lucky to go premium.
    So reading it would be a good idea :p

I'm off to bed, cyall!

4. Mooglefrooglian

Mooglefrooglian

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you make people pay for your map, dont you have to pay the people who did the models for your map money as well, as well as any code you found, etc? Seems like more trouble than it would be worth, and frankly, I cant see myself ever making a map I would want to sell.

5. ShrEad-ER

ShrEad-ER

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think Blizz did think of that. I'm not sure how they would do it tho.
    I think you would be paid as a team. Like when indie developers sell through steam. I guess it would be like that.

6. RoughneckLeader

RoughneckLeader

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    One of the points of this system is so then groups of people can put actual value in the work that they are doing, i.e. a group of friends with a modeler, terrainer, etc. and spend more time; for example, instead of having a part time job while in, say, college they can develop a mod/map for Starcraft 2. Then they can test it, improve the terrain, etc. over the course of, say, a year and then release it (after getting it tested).

The maps are also "protected" (well, have the option to but I think the premium maps will have protection), not to mention that as soon as you open the map and do anything, when you try and play the premium map online everyone will need to download it & thus know it is not the real version.

In regards to the copyright issue... I'm not sure and am guessing as much as you are. But I think the core ideas that makes the game are yours and, so long as you don't rip off Blizzard's models and textures, you would be allowed to take that to another developer. Look at DotA Allstars and League of Legends; ideas are the same, same people whom made DotA (as broadcasted on their web site) but the models, texture, and even the graphics are different.

7. ShrEad-ER

ShrEad-ER

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It should also be noted, that these maps are like mods. As i already said :p
    It should really be worked on. Not Just Another Starcraft 2 Map.

8. Herian

Herian

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh, and I remember..
    Not even DotA could be a premium map I think. What about TKoK, Diablo III Warcraft ? These two maps are just..Awesome. Yes It's true they do not use much Custom Models, but they are AWESOME.

9. slake

slake

Resources:
    Resources:
    The Crimson Creations team is going to make a SC2 RPG that's going to be even better than TKoK but the question is are they going to sell it??

10. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    if they get promoted by blizzard so to speak.

11. phatlewt

phatlewt

Resources:
    Resources:
    I just hope Blizzard's standard of premium is very high. It would suck to have every DotA clone and ZOMG NARUTO VS BLEACH flooding the premium database.

12. slake

slake

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ofcourse there going to be promoted, there one of the best if you ask me.

13. Newbestyle

Newbestyle

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm not independent from my parents yet. So, how am I supposed to pay for them? Definitely, I won't ask my Mum giving me her credit card to get the newest DotA The-Map-You-May-Like...

That's my "little problem" with that thread...
    On the other hand a lot of mappers will be motivated by this...

So, I hope it stays as it is and I will be able to play all the maps I want to support. (without paying... :p)

14. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Like everybody already mentioned previously, a Dota is not a map Blizzard would be promoting. It would demand alot more than that.

15. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If the standard was very high then their would be a very few maps even in the premium database, and nobody would buy them because people like to play the ZOMB NAURTO VS BLEACHE clone.

I think their should be a high standard, but not an elite standard. Something like top 5% of maps that make it past the beta phase should be allowed entrance to be made premium.

And dont get me wrong, I hate DOTA. But why should that not be a premium map?

16. Belgarath

Belgarath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    seems to me that the main problem with selling your map would be achieving the standard of maps that blizzard actually wants. dota wasn't that standard in wc3 form, so i think it's pretty fair that if a premium map came to exist, it'd be of a damn amazing standard.

i think that if i achieved that standard i might sell it

17. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What is wrong with the quality of the DOTA map? Sure the quality of the DOTA community sucks, but the actual map is good, no?

18. SlayerII

SlayerII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    compared to the most maps out there dota is a UBER map. But its not independet from wc3. Its still wc3, just with a bit different rules. But blizzard seems to want maps with a much better quality. maps which you dont call maps anymore, you call them mods.

Currently i think dota still is one of the best maps out there, simply it has perfect game play. But , yea, the community sux. Even when i own every one im called noob. wy? cause i buyd a certain item:cute: Every dota player thinks he is a pro, excpect people which are really able to play. Funny, isnt it?

19. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The gameplay of a dotalike map doesn't appeal me at all, but that is just an opinion.

Exactly what you are saying, I believe Blizzard wants more of "mod" like maps. See it as you pay for their engine, and then you use their marketplace to sell the map/mod, if it is the right standard

20. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ohhhh okay that makes sense I understand now.

+rep