• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

AOS - Light & Darkness

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
User who uploaded this Presents

Light and Darkness
Created by Skvata

Map Info

The Evil forces of Godelia are at the borders of Nimolien. The old king are to weak to lead his army, so he send his best hero in the lands to aid his army. That is you! Take heed of your evil enemy, let him kill more than you - and he might to dangerous to meet.

Features

• Buy more unit types, to aid in the battle againt the darkness
    -- The assasin, whoms poisonous darts, slowly drains the opponents life.
    -- The Catapult, that can hurl large rocks at the stong towers that fiercely defend the enemy base.
    -- The peasent, that will harvest lumber each passing day... Use it wisely!
  • Upgrade buildings and forces
    -- Carefully choose which upgrades to buy, the lumber production is a slow process.
    -- Choose to upgrade Melee or Ranged troops, either their weapons or armor.
    -- Upgrade the towers, to withstand the enemy bombardment.
  • Buy custom equipment for your hero
    -- Cloaks to aid your forces with auras
    -- Support scrolls or potions
    -- Powerfull weaponary
  • Final boss
    -- Each base, will summon an ancient hero in the last stand against the invading enemy, , when he enters the town!

Other Info about the map

• Explore the map
    -- You never know what you find - but dont spend too much time away from the front.
  • Keep track of you enemys hero
    -- Dont let him grow to powerfull, or you might not be able to stop him, if you encount him.
  • Diffecult level: hero selection
    -- Mage hero: Easy
    -- Warrior hero: Medium
    -- Hunter hero: Hard

Author's notes

Hope you enjoy it - mad the map years ago, but only shared it amongst my friends. Then I went to the movies, and saw the Warcraft movie, and missed playing warcraft 3 again. So here I am, and when I saw this old map, I tried it out, and really enjoyed playing it. So I wanted to share it. Hope you have fun!
Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
warcraft, aos
Contents

AOS - Light & Darkness (Map)

Reviews
Paillan
5 - 4 - 2017 No changes were made in more than 3 months which means that no changes are inteded to be made. Acording to rules, this implies that your map will now be classified as substandard. If you wish to revert this decision you can PM a map...
Level 5
The description is lack of creativity. It has a short information about the map, but it really lack in creativity. You should try to add some color, sizes, and so on.

You might want to take a look at this. The tutorial has some templates that you can use as a description.

And screenshot will be great, so it makes the description more attractive, and more appealing. If you don't know how to add some screenshots, then click here.

For now, voting it for awaiting update.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I most certainly like parts of the concept more than many other AOS maps.
However I think it's executed somewhat badly so that does not exactly mater.

I suggest you take a look on some popular AOS maps to see how terrain is done etc.

edit:

Map Name:
AOS - Light & Darkness
Version: 1.0
Author: Skvata

Terrain[r]
The terrain quite frankly something that could be done withing minutes.
  • There is tile variation in the sense that the upper side have dead grass and the lower side has normal green grass, however that is not enuogh for decent terrain. The terrain should have constant variation, switch between two or free grass tiles per side at the very least. And there's nothing preventing you from throwing in some random rock tiles either.
  • Apart from trees there are 0 (not literary, but almost) decoration dooads, I am talking about flowers, bushes etc these should all over the map.
  • The map is not symetric, meaning that the terrain itself will have unfair advantages. I am mainly concerned about the terrain just outside the bases.
  • You should generally never use blizzard cliffs, you should use the raise/lower tool instead. Or make some kind of object block the path instead. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ials-278/advanced-terraining-tutorial-203428/
1/5

Gameplay[r]
  • The heroes got abilities that makes no sense. The swordsman can sleep people and the archer got a damage reflect aura, it's madness.
  • There's a general lack of things to do, I had to kill creeps for a looong time before I could afford any upgrades, and while buying I had to run across the whole map and then back again, basically I did nothing for two minutes but running.
  • There are too many creeps that spawn, it's very common to see a large army being unable to progress forward because they are too many in a narrow space.
2/5

Story[r]
There are actually story elements within the map - which I love - but it's more of something that's behind the scenes.
An AoS do not require a story, however don't do it half way either make a story and present it well within the map, or don't add it at all.
1/5

Uniqueness[r]
The AoS is unique in the sense that it's single player, and that the focus seem to lie with upgrading the faction as a whole and not buying items for your hero specifically.
3/5

Overall[r]
Overall this is a creative but somewhat badly done AoS.
I could certainly see this concept being successful if worked on.
1/5

Bugs[r]
  • Your base is under attack the very second you enter the game, so while the code is instructing me how to select a hero I get the "AN ALLIED BASE IS UNDER SIEGE!" sound played which is both distracting and stressful.
  • You still got vision over the starting area after selecting a hero.
  • The master archer got a male sound set. The tranq ability does not play an animation etc, sloppy object editor work in general.

Reviewed by[r]

Last edited:
Level 2
Hmm, I might be able to find some time to "up" the terrain. But its 100% on purpose, that the terrain isn't symmetric - I personally dont like it. And since its 1 player, I dont find it an issue.

I'll look into the abillities - cant really remember why they are done like that. Its many years ago, I made the map.

Story? What do you think the story element is? I dont see it... besides the description.

And that you run around for serveal minuts, i dont get it :) I wait for my troops, and run with them to the front. Time your attacks, to get gold - until you get more powerfull. Try to play with mage, its more easy.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
-since this is a 1 player AoS, the AI should be well made; his hero comes alone and "fights" until he dies
-the map seems quite big for two heroes
-why does the mage have Hero attack type and the others Pierce and Normal when all of them have Hero type armour? You realize that Hero armour takes less damage from Pierce?

I suggest making it multiplayer and working more on it; it doesn't have that much thing goin' on.

1.5/5.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
The map is very lacking - the terrain really poor, no tile variation whatsoever, and no decorative doodads haven't been used. Also, the ramp placement is bugged, creating black holes in the ground which can also bug pathing.

The info messages at the start are displayed for way too short period, I couldn't read what they said and thus was left kinda abandoned. The enemy hero just ran to her death at the start and gave me a huge advantage - I am not sure if this is intended.

The gameplay is pretty dull - the spells are not unique and have lacking or misleading descriptions. For example entangling thorns say they last 9 seconds, but they don't last as long on heroes - this should be mentioned. Some of the spell setups also make no sense - having Thorns Aura on an archer makes very little sense to me.

Gameplay also makes very little sense: you are supposed to go back to your base and buy items? I see no reason to do this, as its an awfully long distance to walk and you don't take much damage yourself, so it is not really necessary - the gameplay is really easy and thus boring. The idea I guess is to get money by last hitting, but for me it was extremely hard, as my creeps stacked to bunches of around 30 units, with all different attack damage, speeds and projectile missiles and their speeds, and it was practically impossible for me to last hit a single creep. Also, the units can just walk through a forest (as their collision size is smaller) where as I cannot - again a huge, game-breaking flaw that proves that this map hasn't been properly tested or polished.

As the current state it is very lacking and does not bring anything unique or fresh up. So I put it awaiting update.

Level 19
5 - 4 - 2017
No changes were made in more than 3 months which means that no changes are inteded to be made. Acording to rules, this implies that your map will now be classified as substandard. If you wish to revert this decision you can PM a map reviewer once you have updated the map.

Set to Substandard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!