• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

AoE Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Hi!

I'm making a TD where I have a frost tower. The thing is, I want the tower to damage only it's target, but freeze targets in 280 AoE. I added AoE damage ih 0.01 small damage distribution, and what it does is deal a small amount of damage amongs all the units, freezing them.

How can I achieve the Damage one unit, but freeze in 280 AoE without dealing damage? I know I can do it with dummys and else, but I'd like to know if there's a simpler and more efficient way.

Thanks a lot for reading!

Level 33
When you are talking about towers, you sure talking about custom projectile system ?
Or the tower can cast spells ?

If it is normal attack, then tell me, have you already manage the custom projectile system ?

Because, the concept is, once the attack has reach the target, only then it would damage the target and frost all units in 280 AOE around the point of impact

I just wanna know is this a spell or normal attack

Level 20
Thanks for your reply.

It's normal attack with passive "Frost Attack" ability. The "Frost Attack" only freezes, but the AoE of the ability doesn't work. That's why I use the unit AoE with "Missile (Splash)" attack type, to hit nearby units. There's no system nor trigger involved.

Level 14
You can do this by:
1.create a frost nova ability that deals no damage
2.create an orb of slow ability that has the frost nova ability as an effect ability
3.create the following trigger:
  • Orb AttackSUP
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
      • (Level of Frost Nova for (Attacking unit)) Equal to 1
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order (Attacking unit) to Attack (Attacked unit)
I am not certain but you should probably also add turn off this trigger at the beginning and turn on this trigger at the end.

but doing that trigger above will fire your event.. example, you attack a unit and you have a level 1 frost nova, your unit will be ordered to attack the unit again, and that will fire the event again and again, and definitely the game will freeze w/out error message...
so yes.. you should put a turn off at the beginning and turn on at the end.

Level 19
It won't freeze anything.. giving an attack order again after another won't do anything at all but cause the Attacker to never stop attacking that unit.

Yet, you can do this by using a dummy unit that casts the frost-nova onto the attacked target everytime it is being hit/attacked, in case the missle is instant.

The way without dummies is to pause units instead of creating a dummy which cast a war stomp.

Also, you'll need to make some adaptations to have it MUI, as saving an Integer and incrementing/decrementing it at the start/end of the pause then check if it's equal to 0 (no stun/freeze spell running) and unpause the units.

Now, if your tower as only the freezing attack, just detect with a DDS when a freeze tower attack and pause the ennemies. But if your tower doesn't have only the freezing attack, you'll need to check if it was given the order to use a normal attack, or a freezing attck, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.