1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Join Texturing Contest #30 now in a legendary battle of mythological creatures!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Aftermath has been revealed for the 19th Terraining Contest! Be sure to check out the Results and see what came out of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Melee Mapping Contest #3 - Results are out! Congratulate the winners and check plenty of new 4v4 melee maps designed for this competition!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of our cinematic soundtrack competition have been decided! Step by the Music Contest #11 - Results to check the entries and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of Fighting Sail (v0.0.9)

Submitted by Fingolfin
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
[​IMG]
Age of Fighting Sail is a napoleonic ship combat game with focus on timing and tactics. Each ship has unique handling capabilities, and players need to rely on wind, acceleration and turn speed to deal the most devastating broadsides on their foes. Killing ships yield bounty, from which you can purchase more and deadlier ships. The first team to reach the kill goal wins.

[​IMG]
  • Realistic ship movement with inertia, acceleration, and wind physics.
  • All ships feature 3 degrees of visual damage on 4 different sectors of the hull, depending on where they are hit.
  • All art resoruces are 100% custom made exclusively for this map.
  • Includes a fully functional and intelligent bot AI supporting all three degrees of difficulty - also available in multiplayer!
  • All motion, including the way ships bounce and roll on the waves, is 100% simulated. This allows for really cool features such as ships recoiling to the side when firing or being hit.
  • Ships will develop list according to their damage, and towards the exact spot where the most damage has been taken.
  • Features extremely accurate collision physics where cannonballs will cause planks and debris to shoot out from the hull when they hit.

[​IMG]
The Sloop

[​IMG]

Weak but nimble, the Sloop is the cheapest and arguably the least powerful ship in the game. Despite its poor firepower, it can dodge the most of an enemy volley due to its small size, and sometimes outmaneuver larger ships by keeping out of their line of fire.

Health: 1500
Cannons: 10
Top Speed: 150
Turn Speed: 125
Acceleration: 1.1

The Brig

[​IMG]

The Brig is an incredibly swift ship, perfect for hunting down sloops or traveling the stern of battleships. However, it is large enough to recieve devastating damage, should it be hit by the broadside of a larger ship.

Health: 2200
Cannons: 20
Top Speed: 170
Turn Speed: 115
Acceleration: 1.5

The Frigate

[​IMG]

Frigates can achieve the greatest top speeds of any ship in the game, even though their acceleration and handling are worse than that of the Sloop and Brig. The balance of speed, hull strength and firepower make these some of the most formidable ships on the seven seas.

Health: 3600
Cannons: 38
Top Speed: 190
Turn Speed: 90
Acceleration: 0.9

The Steam Paddle Frigate

[​IMG]

Equipped with a modern steam engine, Steam Frigates have the ability to sail swiftly even against the wind. However, the space taken up by the paddles require them to sacrifice some firepower.

Health: 3600
Cannons: 32
Top Speed: 200
Turn Speed: 90
Acceleration: 0.9

The Third Rate Battleship

[​IMG]

With 74 guns, the Third Rate is a ship fully fit for the line of battle. Like the Frigate, it has a surprisingly good mix of handling and firepower, although its bulk will prevent it from making sharp turns or keeping up with the speed of smaller ships.

Health: 4200
Cannons: 74
Top Speed: 140
Turn Speed: 75
Acceleration: 0.6

The First Rate Battleship

[​IMG]

Boasting a remarkable 106 guns, the broadside of a First Rate will make even the most experienced captain quiver in his boots. Yet, this amazing firepower does come with the prize if being painstakingly slow, both in top speed, acceleration and turn speed.

Health: 5000
Cannons: 106
Top Speed: 125
Turn Speed: 54
Acceleration: 0.3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  • All models and textures were made by Fingolfin a.k.a I_Love_Cat.
  • Linked List library was made by grim001.
  • The vector and quaternion libraries which make this game possible were based off the ones by legendary modder Bob666.

[​IMG]

v0.0.1
- Public release.

v0.0.2
- Fixed exception for tied votes.

v0.0.3
- Added another voting menu where you vote for fleet size.
- Added introduction text to inform players of the basic game goals and mechanics.
- Decreased the reload time of the sloop by 2 seconds.
- Inlined some code to improve performance.
- Fixed a bug that would turn the broadside into a machinegun of cannonballs.
- Fixed a bug that would cause the dialog text to dissapear in the voting menu.
- Fixed a bug that would cause effects to play their animation twice.
- Wind direction is now re-randomized when the game resets.

v0.0.4
- Removed ship formation movement since the SyncSelections native might be whats causing the delay in unit orders.
- Might have fixed the minigun-barrel-roll-bug.

v0.0.5
- Team kills will no longer give you bounty or kill points.
- Reduced gold bounty gained from 80% of ship cost to 60%.
- Increased periodic income from 25 to 50 gold.
- Gold pickups will now spawn periodically. Capturing them will give a bonus of 250 gold.
- Limited the amount of ships the AI can spawn.
- There is no longer any difference in ship count depending on the number of players.
- Text tags now only show up for the affected player.
- Added gold sound to bounty and pickup events.

v0.0.6
- GREATELY reduced lag during broadsides. FPS drops should now be nonexistent on high-end computers, and very minor on low-end ones. I was able to fire both broadsides on three 106-gun ships simultaneously on my laptop while still maintaining playable fps!!

v0.0.7
- You can now order your ship to follow another by right-clicking on it. This can also be used to form battle lines by ordering ships to follow eachother in a chain.
- Added a feedback arrow model for when you order your ship to move to a point.
- Wind factor and ships speeds have now been tweaked for more fun gameplay.
- Increased the cost of Steam Frigates from 750 to 800.
- Made the autofire mode more accurate.

v0.0.8
- It is now possible to play up to six players, rather than just four.
- Added a repair ability, which stops your ship from moving or engaging and slowly regenerates hit points. The ability is channeled and will cancel when issued another order. Taking damage will significantly reduce its effectiveness.
- Mana now represents sails, also added three different levels of graphical damage to the sails of all ships. Sail damage will reduce the maximum speed of your ship.
- Added the option to swap between ball shots and chain shots. Chain shots have a higher firing arc and deal significantly more damage to sails, but less to hull.
- The hit boxes of the ship are now more accurate, although this means that cannonballs may sometimes fly above smaller ships rather than hitting them.
- Further reduced the lag during broadsides.

v0.0.9
- Added boarding!
- Added four different crew types!
- Added canister shots! These have a chance of killing enemy crew depending on how intact the enemy hull is at the point of impact, and how crowded the ship is.
- AI ships will now repair and board enemies if the situation is opportune.
- Added a rudimentary crew store, for manning your ships. This is as far as i will go with the Arena version of the map, later when i start working on the AoS version, there will be proper stores.
- You now get to select your fleet ensign at the start of each round. Available ensigns are: Britain, French, Pirate.
- Added 500hp to the First Rate battleships.
- Fixed a bug which caused Steam Frigates to be unproportionally affected by sail damage.
- It is now slightly easier to sail against the wind.

Keywords:
Broadside, tall ships, napoleonic, master and commander, pirates, sail, cannon
Contents

Age of Fighting Sail (v0.0.9) (Map)

Reviews
16:36, 21st Mar 2014 Hell_Master: Map approved with a rating of 4/5 (Recommended). See moderator's review regarding the map:
  1. 16:36, 21st Mar 2014
    Hell_Master: Map approved with a rating of 4/5 (Recommended). See moderator's review regarding the map:

2. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    Really cool map, however.
    It would nice if you started with lesser ships, say 1-2 instead of the 3-5 you begin with now. Makes it easier for newer players to learn it.

And I had some lagspikes when shooting cannons. Great map otherwise.

3. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    COOL. It's a nice gameplay btw. I just love those burning destroyed ship sounds:) The battle is epic. Outstanding job man. 5/5 hell yeah 10/10

4. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I was thinking of adding the option of spawning with only a single ship, i was just really eager to get the map released for now. The issue would be that the random ship mode could turn out a bit more unfair, since one player could get a sloop and another a first rate... But we will see what i come up with.

The cannonballs have been optimized as much as possible, but yeah, they do lag in large battles. Sadly, the only way i could make it work smoother is to make all the cannons fire at the same time, rather than with slight, random delays, but frankly, i think that part adds too much to the realism to be removed.

In any case, the ammount of time i spent trying to polish this is unimaginable. I hope everyone enjoys playing it as much as i did making it.

5. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well make everyone start with the same random low tier ship?
    And if you can, make it a bit more obvious that you can buy stuff. At first I saw the income and wondered what it was for.

6. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I can add some extra hints on game start regarding that, or maybe like, a tutorial command that gives you some info. The low tier idea is good, perhaps gaining larger ships as you go will give you a sense of progress. I thought of making it like this:

You have an extra voting menu, where you vote for "Navy Size", options "small" and "large". If "small", you will spawn 3 ships if there are less than 3 players, and 1 ship if there are more than 2 players. If "large", you will spawn 5 ships if less than 3 players, and 3 ships if more than 2 players. Does that sound good?

EDIT: And by the way, did you notice the single player commands in the quest menu? They can be fun to play around with, disabling cannonball physics, or spawning epic ships for yourself. If you are having performance issues you can disable effects. Just a tip.

7. Quilnez

Quilnez

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    looks interesting from the ss.. 1/5 for now :3

have played the map
    - Gameplay is interesting, so realistic @_@
    - You need to improve it though, add more player maybe? add some corals?
    - I'm hitting my own ships x.X

8. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I might add an option to disable friendly fire. Dunno why, but i just feel like it makes sense to have it there, but if lots of people are bothered by it, i will perhaps remove it.

I limited player count to 4 since too many ships will cause lag. I thought 4 players with a maximum of 6 ships each was a nice limit. I have some ideas on how to expand the map concept into something similar to an AoS, but that is pretty far from now. The idea was to have 2 teams of 4 players, where each player has one ship each. Each team also has 3 star forts, which you capture by landing troops which you purchase onto your ships from your own forts. Ships would also be able to board eachother (during boarding progress, ships would be invulnerable). Like i said though, it is just an idea, and considering the amount of time i spent on this fairly simple game, it would mean a monstrous amout of work.

9. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Interesting, somebody ventured into sea combat, which was always considered boring.

10. BandolXD

BandolXD

Resources:
    Resources:
    Love those Ships < 3.

11. eubz

eubz

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Downloading...

12. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Not sure if it's a bug, but the AI appears to apply on my own ships too.

13. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    To keep things easier for the player, all ships have an autofire function which causes them to fire automatically whenever targets are in range. You can toggle this in the unit card.

14. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Actually the newly bought ships also started moving around by themselves.

15. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Did they intercept and circle around enemies, or were they just sailing into the battlefield? All newly purchased ships are ordered to sail towards the map center. Also, ships moving too close to the map border will turn around.

16. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm not entirely sure. It seems that they simply went towards the map centre, but it was enough in many cases.

17. Dat-C3

Dat-C3

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Is there any chance of you reducing the lag in this?

It'd be quite cool if there could be 30+ ships.

Will eventually make a review.

18. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A review would be awesome.

Released version 0.0.3 just now which has some minor performance updates and bug fixes (see changelog). I don't think i could ever make it work for more than 24 ships though, without reducing the amount of cannons on each.

19. Dat-C3

Dat-C3

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Any chance you could hop on USEast and test with me Fingolfin? Or any other server like west or Europe?

I like to test with the makers of their respective maps if possible, I usually don't offer unless its a 5/5 possible map.