• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A huge pokemon project like you've never thought of!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
While most hate the anime, a lot more of us like the games. They were GREAT RPGs! Period! And if you're on this thread than you probably like Warcraft as well. (2 things we have in common). Now I propose this idea. A Poke' mon RPG! But that's not all! The problem in most Poke'mon RPGs is that the game has many environments and its hard trying to fumble around with the right tileset to make sense of a fire zone, ice zone, etc... (Inc new(?) idea!) And to find a place for all the different types. Also the maps that are currently out aren't maintained and have poor gameplay, mechanics, etc.

-What if there were a plethora of maps, each with its own Poke' mon that could all be connected to a Stadium map to fight other players!
-Maybe each map has its own Gym and you need to (big surprise) collect 8 of em before you can play in the Stadium?
-Each map could have its own quests for that particular HOLD item you've been waiting on or something else you want.

Think of it...
-A snow map - like mt. cornonet
(evolve your eevee into a glaceon. maybe catch some jynx)
-A forest map - like illex forest
(bugs, bugs, bugs, and bulbasaur, leaf pokemon, get your scythers here!)
-An island fire map - like cinnabar island
(find your magmar and vulpix here... maybe a charmander!)

And with each NEW map you could add more pokemon! (just like the gameboy games) I wonder if such a save/load program is possible but... wouldn't that be great? You'd see in the game lobby something like...
POKEMON MT. CORONET
POKEMON STADIUM
DOTA v.gey
POKEMON VIRDIAN FOREST

What do you guys think?
Personally I'd get on this project right quick! (Pretty darn good terrainer, thought bot, spell maker, gameplay developer) You'd have the best of 2 games you've liked for about decade!

Last edited:
Level 11
Okay... Pokemon knockoff RPGs have been done to death before, so I assume the part that's supposed to be "like nothing we've ever thought of" is the fact that you, as a player, are supposed to actually quit a game, find a new lobby, and wait for players every time you want to change a zone or do an arena battle all because you find it a hassle to create varying scenery within a single map as a terrainer?

Uhm, yeah... :hohum:

Level 17
Imagine it!
-A snow map
-A forest map
-A fire map

I'm imagining it, and not enjoying the image. I don't want to have to reach a certain point only to find out that I have to download another map, host it, wait for the unlikely fullhouse to form and commence the game, in which I have a chance of landing a player with a long load. To be honest, it just isn't worth it. And what about those people who can't host, enjoy the game, and cannot find a game because it isn't unique or popular enough?

To make it worth it, you'd have to make this game pretty special. I'd like to know how it will differ from other Pokemon maps, or better yet, other RPGs/ORPGs. Quite a broad and unoriginal concept if you ask me.

Level 6
Okay... Pokemon knockoff RPGs have been done to death before, so I assume the part that's supposed to be "like nothing we've ever thought of" is the fact that you, as a player, are supposed to actually quit a game, find a new lobby, and wait for players every time you want to change a zone or do an arena battle all because you find it a hassle to create varying scenery within a single map as a terrainer?

Uhm, yeah... :hohum:

Not like this they have not. And I dont see too many people play the pokemon RPGs that are out there.

Terrain looks much more appealing if you have certain tile sets for a certain environment. And each individual map would have just as much content as any RPG map and each map would be a different experience... with the same pokemon team. There are 100s of types of pokemon... you'd need a world as big as the games to hold that many. And that is the idea behind this. You wouldn't need to change maps often. You wouldn't need to have lots of people in the same training map either.

The different maps could be thought of better as the different versions of the original games. (I.E. Red, Emerald. Silver, Etc.)

Also, each map would have its noobie area, higher level area, and pro area, etc. It would be possible to be get all the pokemon you need but you would have a more focused type team. I.E. Water, Water/Electric, Water/Ice, Rock (whatever the environment has)

Level 6
i did... well i said it was plausible. Make it offline for training and such and then make a Colosseum you could play online. Sounds familiar... maybe like I dunno the way the games actually were?

Well the games weren't live action... AND weren't as flexible online...

One player training and online multi-player might be nice... but I kinda didnt want training to be lonely. xD

Maybe up to 4 players per map?

Level 6
Ionno. When you say this, the first thing that comes to mind is the map called Monster Master RPG by Robbepop. The only thing I disliked about that map was the horrendously slow grinding it took to get to the next area.

This map has great potential, but only if a skilled and devoted team work on it together. I'm not sure how much having multiple maps will help or hurt it though.

Level 4
Well the games weren't live action... AND weren't as flexible online...

One player training and online multi-player might be nice... but I kinda didnt want training to be lonely. xD

Maybe up to 4 players per map?

Meh, I thought of that after playing the Natural Selection map. Having a small group is a good idea, try it out and see if it works? I'm sure a few people would like to work on this.

The problem is going to be the amount of content. You're going to have to have each of the pokemon available on each of the maps which, depending on the amount you want to use, could go over the few hundreds. The save code would be GIANT, considering the possibilities. That and the original games had random wild encounters, how would one implement it in this?

Level 6
Meh, I thought of that after playing the Natural Selection map. Having a small group is a good idea, try it out and see if it works? I'm sure a few people would like to work on this.

The problem is going to be the amount of content. You're going to have to have each of the pokemon available on each of the maps which, depending on the amount you want to use, could go over the few hundreds. The save code would be GIANT, considering the possibilities. That and the original games had random wild encounters, how would one implement it in this?

Well there wouldn't be EVERY pokemon... I think we'd have to cut our losses with the one no one really used anyway... maybe 400 pokemon instead of 493 at least.

And it wouldn't be too hard actually. I'm a pretty efficient Terrainer so I could whip out new maps fairly easily that look great. I knew about each PKMN needing to be on everymap and the data is as easy as importing it over. Or better yet have each member on the team take the first map we make. (Probably the coliseum map) Than just change the tileset remove all the doodads and everyone make a different map based off of that.
"Okay I'll make blah" "And i'll make blah" "i think im gonna do blah with blah town" Than call the maps all a different name.

The problem would be content... but the hardest triggers would probably be the save system (which I dont know how to do- never tried). A type system wouldn't be hard. (making generic attacks and some spells assigned types, as well pokemon.)

How big would the save code have to be to save 6 heroes with one item (maybe) and one unit with a bunch of items? ( I (RLY)DK This is where I wonder if it could happen or not.

Wild encounters are probably what would make the maps that much easier to create. Instead of pasting the units everywhere, the regions themselves would contain the data for spawning a certain pokemon at a certain rate, which would than bring you to an area set aside in the map for the battle.

And if you wonder about legendarys I have a solution to that too.

Well executed correctly this could be a good idea.

Instead of being able to freely move between the different maps, perhaps it would be better to limit players to the maps based on their level (Well pokemons average level). In that way it's not such a "1 guy wants to go to the snow map yet we aren't all finished here what do we do?" sort of thing.

I guess you could think of the extra area's like "Expansion packs" - basically once your finished with one area, you move on to the next.

Just an idea of a way to get rid of some of the tedium Wolf Orcyth pointed out.

Level 6
Well executed correctly this could be a good idea.

Instead of being able to freely move between the different maps, perhaps it would be better to limit players to the maps based on their level (Well pokemons average level). In that way it's not such a "1 guy wants to go to the snow map yet we aren't all finished here what do we do?" sort of thing.

I guess you could think of the extra area's like "Expansion packs" - basically once your finished with one area, you move on to the next.

Just an idea of a way to get rid of some of the tedium Wolf Orcyth pointed out.

Thats the thing ( i think i said this earlier in this thread) every map would have its noob areas, novice, experienced, veteran and pro areas.

I wouldn't propose an idea without at least some though ya know. :D

To me the idea was, there is the coliseum and all the maps the designers make after that are like expansion packs. Imagine that one. Expansion packs to a map. How often does that happen? With this idea a map and content can only get improved. The only thing I fore see is a lot of beta testing required because once we feel the main map is good and the pokemon are bug free.... and we start making the environment and town maps... we'd have to recreate the original to and all the others to fix it. (I think)

To start on release they'd probably be maybe 3 other maps. All the maps would hold the data but not have all the pokemon available. Than we'd go from there agreeing on this and that for towns quests items, etc.

Level 4
Well there wouldn't be EVERY pokemon... I think we'd have to cut our losses with the one no one really used anyway... maybe 400 pokemon instead of 493 at least.

And it wouldn't be too hard actually. I'm a pretty efficient Terrainer so I could whip out new maps fairly easily that look great. I knew about each PKMN needing to be on everymap and the data is as easy as importing it over. Or better yet have each member on the team take the first map we make. (Probably the coliseum map) Than just change the tileset remove all the doodads and everyone make a different map based off of that.
"Okay I'll make blah" "And i'll make blah" "i think im gonna do blah with blah town" Than call the maps all a different name.

The problem would be content... but the hardest triggers would probably be the save system (which I dont know how to do- never tried). A type system wouldn't be hard. (making generic attacks and some spells assigned types, as well pokemon.)

How big would the save code have to be to save 6 heroes with one item (maybe) and one unit with a bunch of items? ( I (RLY)DK This is where I wonder if it could happen or not.

Wild encounters are probably what would make the maps that much easier to create. Instead of pasting the units everywhere, the regions themselves would contain the data for spawning a certain pokemon at a certain rate, which would than bring you to an area set aside in the map for the battle.

And if you wonder about legendarys I have a solution to that too.
Well yeah I'm not worried about the copying and pasting in the editor so much as I am the loading in the actual game which I have no true concept of, but could cause some lag (depending on how it was done).
Also, the way you describe the save issue leads me to believe you intend to have it so that every pokemon only has the basic amount of 4 spells without the opportunity to learn others. IS THIS TRUE!??! sounds like a good idea actually... and would get rid of a lot of problems. in that case the save code wouldn't be monumental necessarily (or at least I wouldn't imagine so).
hope somebody with experience in save codes notices this...

Level 6
Well yeah I'm not worried about the copying and pasting in the editor so much as I am the loading in the actual game which I have no true concept of, but could cause some lag (depending on how it was done).
Also, the way you describe the save issue leads me to believe you intend to have it so that every pokemon only has the basic amount of 4 spells without the opportunity to learn others. IS THIS TRUE!??! sounds like a good idea actually... and would get rid of a lot of problems. in that case the save code wouldn't be monumental necessarily (or at least I wouldn't imagine so).
hope somebody with experience in save codes notices this...

The load time cant take THAT long... I'm sure there is something creative you can do in that minute. There will be few players and not a lot actually going on in game (even in battles) so lag couldn't be that bad.

I have a few concepts of how the ability system would work. One of the ideas is to have all the abilities (out side their passives, I.E. Torrent) as items. That way 'forgetting' and 'learning' new abilities can become more true to game and TM possible.

Level 4
The load time cant take THAT long... I'm sure there is something creative you can do in that minute. There will be few players and not a lot actually going on in game (even in battles) so lag couldn't be that bad.

I have a few concepts of how the ability system would work. One of the ideas is to have all the abilities (out side their passives, I.E. Torrent) as items. That way 'forgetting' and 'learning' new abilities can become more true to game and TM possible.

Items, ding there ya go! Hadn't even crossed my mind. Set their inventory to only 4 items, a modded version of The_Flood's equipment system might be useful so that they could have 4 attack items and an ability item. Would work beautifully.

As for lag I'll be quiet because I really don't know :ugly:

Level 6
Items, ding there ya go! Hadn't even crossed my mind. Set their inventory to only 4 items, a modded version of The_Flood's equipment system might be useful so that they could have 4 attack items and an ability item. Would work beautifully.

As for lag I'll be quiet because I really don't know :ugly:

Ha. I'm no simpleton. Like I've said I wouldn't suggest something without lots of decent ideas to entertain first.

And not 4 items. 5. One for the 'hold' slot that pokemon can normally have. I'm not sure about this Flood's item system- but if it can make only certain pokemon have certain item abilities and still leave one slot for hold items and other little details that would be required, than ya.

Level 4
Ha. I'm no simpleton. Like I've said I wouldn't suggest something without lots of decent ideas to entertain first.

And not 4 items. 5. One for the 'hold' slot that pokemon can normally have. I'm not sure about this Flood's item system- but if it can make only certain pokemon have certain item abilities and still leave one slot for hold items and other little details that would be required, than ya.

Well let me give ya the link, it's on the Hive.
Here. Like I said, it would take some modding to it but I'm sure you could do it, hell I could probably do it the code's so flexible.

I don't think you're a simpleton, it's just when meeting somebody new it's best to assume the baseline and build up from there :thumbs_up:

Level 6
Well let me give ya the link, it's on the Hive.
Here. Like I said, it would take some modding to it but I'm sure you could do it, hell I could probably do it the code's so flexible.

I don't think you're a simpleton, it's just when meeting somebody new it's best to assume the baseline and build up from there :thumbs_up:

Oh, I've seen that one before. I haven't opened it but I got it in my tutorial section on my comp.

I know but the first few posts in my thread here weren't very open minded and asked few questions. =/

Level 6
So if you've read thus far and had your questions answered than does this appeal to anyone willing to work on it? Or if you have more questions ask away!

Level 15
Been done before all in one map.

Includes different environments, 10 towns, all of the HMs, 7 badges (he never finished the game and left the 8th badge/league/team rocket out), the first 151 pokemon, PvP, in-game puzzles to solve, NPC battles, random spawn Pokemon, PP system that is as close to the original games as WC3 can get, and save/load for your Pokemon.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/pokemon-legends-82011/?prev=search%3DPokemon%2520Legends%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20

And you call yourself a fan.

edit: also, I notice from reading your signature that you're making a map. will that conflict with this?

Level 6
Been done before all in one map.

Includes different environments, 10 towns, all of the HMs, 7 badges (he never finished the game and left the 8th badge/league/team rocket out), the first 151 pokemon, PvP, in-game puzzles to solve, NPC battles, random spawn Pokemon, PP system that is as close to the original games as WC3 can get, and save/load for your Pokemon.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/pokemon-legends-82011/?prev=search%3DPokemon%2520Legends%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20

And you call yourself a fan.

edit: also, I notice from reading your signature that you're making a map. will that conflict with this?

That map is horrible and full of glitches. Poorly terrained sub par and not near as well done in gameplay or scope as this idea.

also, yea thats a personal side project. cuurent;y all im doing is terraining (albeit terraining a high scale rpg 480x480 map

Level 15
That map is horrible and full of glitches. Poorly terrained sub par and not near as well done in gameplay or scope as this idea.

also, yea thats a personal side project. cuurent;y all im doing is terraining (albeit terraining a high scale rpg 480x480 map

The map is not horrible. The only glitches are those that don't pertain heavily to gameplay (ex: poison's effect isn't dispellable but will go away after a minute)

The terrain is not sub par. If it is, then I'd be VERY impressed for you to do better. Iirc, 13lur has one of the top terrain candids on this website.

And the gameplay is better than yours. At least in 13lur's version there is pvp.

Level 6
Okay, the terrain in map isn't good. Also, the map is unplayable and the guy is inactive, but occasionally does SC2 stuff. I never said he couldn't terrain but that map isn't good. Knowing how to make functional terrain and knowing how to make pretty terrain are 2 different, albeit similar skills.

I went to the forums to get a closer look and as I suspected the map isn't maintained and has loads of problems.

Also this isn't a debate thread about someone else's work. The map also has the problems that I stated before. Being too clustered, etc.

Either way- that map is not like this one and that map is not functional. So don't troll this thread. I will edit my OP to include what I thought I put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.