• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pokemon Gladiators - Obtaining New Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hello! Here I am again asking for your opinions. :grin: Thank you for your support so far! So I've been working on a pokemon themed gladiator map, where a group of heroes fight against creeps in an arena (quite similar to orc gladiators). I've planned that players will be able to save their progress, and they will be able to unlock new heroes. There are 5 difficulty levels, and highest levels should be unbeatable with initial heroes only.

Evolution:
Evolved pokemon have slightly increased stats, and some of their abilities are improved. I have been thinking about some options:

• Pokemon will evolve when they reach certain level or acquire certain item. In this case, evolutions aren't saved.
  • When a player beats a game on a certain (minimum) difficulty, he will be able to select an evolved version of his pokemon in the next game.
  • When a player beats a wave, he gains experience (for specific hero-type). When his experience exceeds certain amount, he will be able to select an evolved version of that pokemon. Higher difficulty levels and higher level waves give more experience.

Which one do you like the most? Or is there some better way to implement evolution, that I haven't thought of?

Catching pokemon:
On certain waves, pokemon can be caught. This means that when a pokeball is used on a unit with low hp, that pokemon (as a hero) has a chance to be unlocked for future games. Is this a good idea, or will it bring serious balance issues? I've again considered a few options to implement this feature:

• At first, only starting pokemon are available. Starting pokemon already have roles for offense, defence and support.
  • Some other pokemon are also available, but some are unlocked by capturing.
  • All regular pokemon are available, capturing is only used for some legendaries.

Legendaries:
Most legendaries will be at least a little "secret". Obtaining them should be somewhat logical, but still not too easy to guess. Some legendaries are captured, but for others I'd like to find some more original ways for obtaining them. A list of currently included legendaries (and other pokemon) can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.