1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

A game engine?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Ralle, Jul 23, 2012.

1. takakenji

takakenji

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Minecraft Ebgine

2. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    :ogre_hurrhurr:

It's a favorite among a lot of the better indie communities, too.

3. Foronisus

Foronisus

Resources:
    Resources:
    im really interested in making games or try to make one but its hard alone so if you do something like that creating a group for making a game wont be hard as it is now.

4. Magtheridon96

Magtheridon96

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Creating a game is not as fun as you'd think it is.

I am incapable of making anything because my standards are too high.
    When I write a system, I want it to be perfect and modular, so I keep rewriting it and deleting it after hours of work because I wasn't satisfied.

5. Asomath

Asomath

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It’s an excruciatingly difficult process. But maybe if we consolidate our resources, and give our users the environment to work with people they've known for the past few years, then perhaps this endeavor can bear some fruit.

~Asomath

6. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Creating a game and modding a game are two different things. This is such a true statement on your part.

7. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I would say it depends on who you are making it with ^^

8. Arcisal

Arcisal

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Are we only focusing on game engines?

What about Python? Making a small basic game is a good way to begin coding. Introducing Flash also allows us to accommodate animation, which I am very fond of.

9. Crazed_seal2

Crazed_seal2

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You might as well create an entire section dedicated to programming languages, and have those dedicated to a single on.

Programming
    - C++
    - C# / Visual Basic [.Net]
    - Ruby
    - Python

Kind of a like a site that must not be named!

10. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    If we're going to move to game engines, we need resources to support those game engines to make game creation easier. The problem with game engines as compared to wc3 is the timeline for creating games on them as well as communities for testing them.

The pros of wc3 are that you can make a high quality game in a very short period of time (a few months vs a few years). Furthermore, you have a platform to easily distribute that game (b.net).

With game engines, there is no platform to easily distribute and download games. Sure, you can use Steam, but it's not like b.net where you can just browse game lobbies and join up.

The other thing is again the timeline. People have fun in wc3 testing out ideas and getting immediate results with their work. They can put out a game in a couple of weeks and immediately start playing it. Using a game engine is a whole other deal and a lot more work.

If there is going to be expansions, there needs to be a ton of coded resources to help make game development in things like UDK easier. For example, full combat systems, AI systems, and so on and so on. From here, we need a large library of models, textures, and etc like there is for wc3, except that the models also need to be in many, many different art styles. One of the big things in games is that the art style stay constant : \. This has been ez in wc3 as the art style was already defined by Blizzard. In a regular game, not so easy.

Yes, it would be cool to move into game engines, but the games would take so much longer to make. If we consider all of the super high quality projects in wc3 that have taken forever to make, very few survive. Even fewer will survive with real games made using game engines ; |.

I am a firm believe that SC2 is a dead end. Really, there are 0 good games to mod right now (like wc3 was). The only logical option is to move to a game engine, but that would again require a lot more work and determination. Also, solo projects would be extremely long and extremely grueling : |. Furthermore, the results you get out of these games likely won't look as good as wc3 or SC2 with 50x the effort.

If we have a massive library of models and textures that dwarfs wc3 and tons and tons of highly modular systems that allows for rapid game creation + tons of editors for things like advanced AI using behavior trees or adaptive AI or w/e, this would start to be possible. We'd also need some way to easily get SQL Servers up for games and to easily get games hosted on servers : |. If you notice, most people enjoy making multiplayer games, and who has the money to pay for a server to host it.

Really, I don't see how this is possible w/o finding a lot of very experienced very talented volunteers. I can certainly put up my damage handling system in c++ to help start the process, but I am very doubtful that more than a small handful of people will help out, which will make this entire endeavor pointless ;o.

11. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This. Shooting the shit with a really cool dev team is fun no matter what you're working on (obviously, with some exceptions!).

Furthermore I'd say that some genres of games are much more fun to design than others. Anything with "realistic" graphics, shooters, etc. are generally pretty boring, but platformers and puzzle games are really fun to make.

Anyway, I don't think any of that should really stand in the way of making a few subforums.

12. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You guys are full of delusion

If I were a developer or someone who wanted to use such forum, would I stay at a site that has vague plans to add some engine related forums or would I go to a place devoted for it? Of course I would go to a place where people know it all, the members are into that as well and can get help and people with common interest in developing.

For the same reason I realized sc2 has no place here - as some told you you've missed the train, you cannot catch up with the ones who already do sc2, well isn't this the same about game engines? You missed the train, so how is this any better?

What you're trying to do here, Ralle? Lots of the people come here to ask for help with War3, make maps or ask for models and such. Now are you trying to kill the War3 community as well?

Imagine a place where the focus is game engines that no one but few 10-20-30 not more and certainly not as many as those who find it better to do things on war3 - do things. Pyritie who went into such thing I am sure uses his own places for that, where he can get help etc.

Yes this could be just a section and not modify the current war3 community. In all this I see THW remaining as a war3 community as the best option. At least you can do things in war3 like mapmaking even when newer games are out unlike Broodwar for example where a newer game with the ability to import models and do more things certainly made it goodbye for modding in broodwar or war2.

Just my 2 cents and that much I will say.

13. Hemske

Hemske

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    First of all, we are simply talking about opening subforums for this, which would not "kill the wc3 part of Hive" at all. It is not like we are only talking games because we have a forum for it here at Hive.

And second of all, I would embrace a subforum for this kind of gamemaking/game engine work. I love Hive, and I use it to hang out with my friends here, and to do some game modding/making here as well would be very much welcomed in my eyes.

To have as much possibilities as possible at this site does not hinder, nor destroy anything here at all. We are not talking about a complete revamp of this forum to a game-making one, as we all know there are other forums better for that. We simply want to branch out to some other roads than only wc3 as it currently is.

And well, if the game-engine section becomes big here, than we can talk about that then.
    Though, I honestly don't see any problem with dedicating a bigger part of Hive for this, if we were to discover the interest and skill with our users. The major part will always, no matter what, stay at wc3 anyways.

14. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    And then they tell me I start offending first, right Skycraft? :croll: No, I am pretty much moving to newer stuff, and totally like new things, I don't like DIE HARDz like 1 guy that I argue about he tells me how BW is better never tried sc2.

It's just that I see why this place is better off as war3 - as some said, it's better to make a fantasy map there than a game where all is futuristic and requires a lot of import. So I think this place is better as a war3 place. After seeing some opininons th guys were right about that and I agree this isn't a place for example for sc2 as I expected in the past. Expanding to newer things is FINE but the focus - must remain on War3!

This is a SU GESH CHUN! and as such you are free to bash it cause I don't really care, I just felt like saying what I think about this place and which game to go with it contrary to what I've said in the past.

15. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I had to quote the whole thing because it is so true.

I've come to the conclusion that THW will become obsolete. The truth hurts but this is it. You guys do WC3 better than anyone else. Stick with that. You can't catch up with SC2Mapster and you can't catch up with forums dedicated to game engines.

Besides, as Nestharus pointed out even if it were possible to catch up you guys simply lack the talent to do so. Modding WC3 is to real game development as a kiddie bike is to mountain biking.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012
  16. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is the fifth post that I see you comparing the site to SC2Mapster. Next time I'll consider it as an Ad. You've told the public how you feel that this site can't catch up with that one, don't spam it though.

17. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You know...you're right. I've beaten the horse into a dead pulp and a lot of people here still think it is alive. I'll stop wasting my time.

18. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Is the old Pharaoh gone? Did becoming this 'incredible thing (it seems) called staff, corrupt your kindness as well?

I am not even fan of the sc2 site mentioned so much, I only use it for getting help, and people are helpful and not trolling and not calling names (however I am the bad guy, right Pharaoh? others' words to me don't count as insults) he is saying THW is for war3 what that other site is for sc2.

When I joined THW in 2004, as this is my 2nd account, I saw how active and full of people it is, I chose it over WC3C, War3IncGamers, TheHelpernet, Battleforums (my old forum where I was staff now full of spambots and is graveyard - btw was affiliated in the list below in the good ol' past),

So yes THW is better to focus on war3 which it has always been for while you add your Engines Forums (which would be with the same 'activity' as sc2)

19. Skycraft

Skycraft

Resources:
    Resources:
    eImtoR, Ralle is merely attempting to expand onto broader horizons to give more opportunities for modders to work on actual modding equipment so that their talents don't go to waste whilst they can still participate within the community.

It might not have a lot of activity to begin with but it's a healthier alternative than sticking to an one game that would eventually go stale in the long-run.

20. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's interesting. I would argue that the only WC3 sites worth anything were TH, THW, and WC3C. TH was a great place for a noob. WC3C was a great place for a pro. THW was in the middle. Of course, these days THW is virtually the only one left.

I sincerely hope that it works out for you guys. My advice would be to focus on one engine...and avoid SC2. That engine should be Unity. It has the best balance of power and usability for the people here.