• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

2D Art Mini-Contests: A Cursor's ®obe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Update: no update available.
Kwaliti is still busy with exams, and we haven't heard from Dentothor.

I proposed to withdraw my entry and judge this myself, with supervision, as I haven't judged before.

Nah you made a good one, you shouldn't withdraw it (even more so since I would judge you put much more time into yours than I did mine) - Also yea for the fastest reaction to a post :grin: I am still perfectly fine with the waiting game, as long as its not forgotten.

The Results

For starters, I want to thank everyone for joining, for your patience with the results and CRAZYRUSSIAN for reviewing the contest in a very original way!

There were two entries that were suspicious of CnP. To redeem the contest of a potential fuss, the entries of owenfitz and doomhammer99's will not be included in the official list.

• Owenfitz: Even if there is a good reason why you can't provide the judge with a file that proves how your cursor is not CnP, it still cannot be acceptable with no obvious proof.

• doomhammer99: CRAZYRUSSIAN did judge your entry, but from his comments and the set - up of the cursors layout (pixelised outlines), it's apparent that these schemas were not manually made. However, CRAZYRUSSIAN did want to give you tips on how to improve it.

160036-albums4747-picture65090.jpg

Official Reviews

CRAZYRUSSIAN said:
Here, Sin'dorei300 for first place
RedBaron for second place
BlackDeath third.

RedBaron and Blackdeath as equal! I dont know who to give 2nd place for! So it is difficult, but I think I will give favor to one that reads better in game, and RedBaron's reads a bit better than Blackdeath's.

And the winner is Sin'dorei300! Congratulations!

With http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/contest-archive-227/event-starlight-legacy-224725/,
Sin'dorei receives 38 reputation and the other entrants 8!

The Victorious Sticky will soon be updated with Sin'dorei's entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, again for the winner:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2236345-post1.html

Give Sin the additional 13.

*zzzz*
I even posted that in this thread before.
Winner receives 38 rep, other entries 8.

Indeed, 8 was a missclick :p
???
--> http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/contest-archive-227/event-starlight-legacy-224725/

Again, this includes mini-contests. I am confused as to what your statement exactly means...
Was putting out 8 as the winning rep the mistake? Because that's what it implies.
And no, that's no mistake, as you can read in the above link.

Last edited:
No, it was definitely an honest mistake. Due to the Stralight Legacy getting archived, I totally forgot that it should be applied in this contest, so thanks for the reminder, I will re-distribute the rewards. 8 points, where a missclick (which is exactly above 5); it was only coindicental that the contestants would receive 8 because of the event.

No, it was definitely an honest mistake. Due to the Stralight Legacy getting archived, I totally forgot that it should be applied in this contest, so thanks for the reminder, I will re-distribute the rewards. 8 points, where a missclick (which is exactly above 5); it was only coindicental that the contestants would receive 8 because of the event.
You really manage to confuse me here...

What exactly applies here then?
150% rewards for all contestants?
150% reward for the winner only?
150% for no one, because the event is archived and the judging came in way too late?

Good job everyone.

Most important thing in UI is readability from far away. It is a primary goal for me as a UI artist at StoneBlade entertainment.
Have gone through weeks of fixes and changes to UI to make it clearer and more readable.

So the winner is the one who's cursors prove to be MOST clearly visible in game!
Second is uniqueness.
Rendering is last.

Blackdeath's work was better made than RedBaron's but it was too detailed and would be lost on the screen at any major battle. Unless it had some massive glow, or bigger area.
So, RedBaron for 2nd.
Blackdeath for 3rd
Next kari0003 - reads well in game, uniqueness is lacking.
(perhaps I have been playing Heroes VI of late, but a horseshoe always looks like "luck")
next - stonneash - rendering and work. again, uniqueness is lacking.
(sword, arrow, or hand for cursor would be fine if it wasn't already done by every single game ever made ever.)
next doomhammer99 - for uniqueness if anything, hard to judge because I cant see image in game...
next - morbent - MAJOR uniqueness! and Lolz for moose. But itis just so small and so hard to see, It took me a long time to find the cursor on the "in game" image. It can blend into game background with ease.

Hope in future there will be a MAJOR, full warcraft UI skin, contest that will have like teams of 3 or 4 people.

Best.

Status
Not open for further replies.