• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Mini-Contests: Beyond the Pixels

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59762.png

160036-albums4747-picture60888.png

160036-albums4747-picture60887.png

You are given a layer image of a man holding a knife. Visualize where this man stands and what he is facing/confronting. Create a terrain from his perspective and use any program, such as Photoshop or GIMP to add the image on top of your terrain!

You are not obliged to be the owner of one of the said programs; if you find it difficult to acquire or you have insufficient knowledge to do so, please, contact me.

160036-albums4747-picture59735.png

25 reputation for the winner & every contestant shall receive 5 reputation each!

160036-albums4747-picture59734.png

None yet!

160036-albums4747-picture59736.png

• All submissions must follow the current theme. If any terrain does not fit, a moderator or the host will tell you as soon as possible, in order to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission in form of a screenshot must be posted before the deadline. You can upload both the non-layered version and the layered one. Additionally, if you have problems to layer up your entry with the image file given, please contact me.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours. Additionally, you are advised to keep the original map until the contest is over (the host strongly recommends you to post as many WiPs as possible to keep the contest vivid).
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Map may consist of any resource as long a it is public and not ripped or stolen.
  • Unless a used resource belongs to either hiveworkshop or Wc3 Campaigns, a link to the used resources must be provided.
  • No image editing tools may be used to enhance the terrain previews (however cropping is allowed); you are only allowed to create an additional layer on top of the background, to add the given image file.
  • The submission has to follow the site rules.

160036-albums4747-picture59727.png

The Terraining Mini-Contest "Beyond the Pixels" shall begin on 21st of November and conclude on 5th of December.

Layers
You may use any of the following versions; contact me, if you want their lighting edited:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=zyejzc
GIMP Download
GIMP is a free image-editing software and you can find it here.

Last edited:
Level 36
"You are given a layer image of a man holding a knife. Visualize where this man stands and what is he facing/confronting.
Create a terrain from his perspective and use any program, such as Photoshop or GIMP to add the image on top of your terrain!"

*he is

That's me being a grammar nazi, and pointing out that the text should appear a little more professional,
what with grammar being intact.

Personally, I'm not entirely certain I like this theme, a man holding a knife like the one given seems to either incline, entice (or wrongfully both)
that you're supposed to have some sort of unit(s) in the terrain.
- I generally disapprove of units in terrains.

Also, I'm rather confused when it comes to the "image". Are participants supposed to use the one above and ONLY the one above, or do they (we)
stand free to chose any image of a hand holding a knife we may be capable of procuring?

I might consider making an entry, if not I may assign as judge.
- Good luck everyone, regardless of my inclusion or not.

*he is

That's me being a grammar nazi, and pointing out that the text should appear a little more professional,
what with grammar being intact.

Personally, I'm not entirely certain I like this theme, a man holding a knife like the one given seems to either incline, entice (or wrongfully both)
that you're supposed to have some sort of unit(s) in the terrain.
- I generally disapprove of units in terrains.

Also, I'm rather confused when it comes to the "image". Are participants supposed to use the one above and ONLY the one above, or do they (we)
stand free to chose any image of a hand holding a knife we may be capable of procuring?

I might consider making an entry, if not I may assign as judge.
- Good luck everyone, regardless of my inclusion or not.

Okay, I changed it, thanks for that :)

You don't have to create such a predictable terrain though. The "enemy" can be present/absent, can be a human/an entity, a real/abstract one. Obviously the knife implies danger, but the enemy doesn't have to be in front of you the moment the scene was "captured".

Finally, yes, one of those will be used, not custom ones.

Level 28
Okay, after some minutes of understanding what to do, so the only thing that we need to do with gimp/photoshop is adding the layer with that hand image right? if that is the case i might throw a entry.

EDIT:

So I started to do my entry and went here again to grab the image to test it with my terrain... then I realized that both images have modern feeling. Can you at least provide something like that with more of medieval or maybe just a image with bit more oldie feeling?

Last edited:
Level 28
^
what? why?

Well you didn't responded on this one.

So I started to do my entry and went here again to grab the image to test it with my terrain... then I realized that both images have modern feeling. Can you at least provide something like that with more of medieval or maybe just a image with bit more oldie feeling?

Level 36
The point is for the contest to be fair, so either use an easily obtainable import or upload the texture as you've made it to import per pastebin.
- The bottom-line point is to have a fair contest where all resources used should be available to all contestants, simply linking to the texture "picture"
you've used shouldn't suffice, not all terrainers are versed in the art of making importable resources of them.

Well, at least this was how it was when I, and in turn M0rbid were moderators.

I think I am nearly done with my entry. I also have included here some documentation for the models if you want that I include to upload the map of this screenshot.
documentation
"One or more textures on this 3D model have been created with images from CGTextures.com. These images may not be redistributed by default, please visit www.cgtextures.com for more information."
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• wc3WIP_03.jpg
    wc3WIP_03.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 534
  • Impossible (FinalEntry)_huge.jpg
    Impossible (FinalEntry)_huge.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 531
  • Impossible (FinalEntry).jpg
    Impossible (FinalEntry).jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 635
Level 20
Few have joined and only 2 have final entries. Could it be possible to extend the deadline for others to join the contest?

Sure, if anyone else is up to it.

I was going to join at first but then idk i got a bit bored of the contest=/

209577-albums5234-picture63162.png

Tell me your opinion guys! :ogre_haosis:
I think it looks nice! although what's the player slaying? is that a chicken? lol

Level 35
Sure, if anyone else is up to it.

Sure, Ill help out..

All Credit for used models goes to: DungeonM and all authors credited for taking part in the UTM

Oh one concern - I am using my own edited model for my entry.. The edit is a new work (today) and only serves to cause the model to be stuck in an animation..would that be allowed? (The blood is just a doodad with the spawneffect applied as model). I can change it to just active the guys death with a trigger - But I hope this is okay.

Final Entry for the: Terraining Mini-Contests: Beyond the Pixels

Final Image - Enjoy
131841-albums1057-picture63812.png

WIP Pictures:

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png
7.png
8.png
9.png
10.png

Attachments

• ImageContest -RedBaron.w3x
    4 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Level 4
Not really the same is it now :wwink: It would allow you to work under rather different constraints than all other participants, so my best guess would be.. No.

Well to be fair, it never said anything about making it in WC3 in the rules ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.