• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

2D Art Mini-Contests: Icons' Prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really creative work guys.

I was hoping for a stone frame myself, i really think it would be a cool one.
Stone wouldn't have been very imaginative, though it depends on the concept.

Also, I fear some people missed a rule of this contest (posting PSD/XCF files).
Could we ignore that rule, Pharaoh_? :p

Also, just as some sort of resumee, it was mean to include "no copypasta of existing parts" in the rules. It was kinda annoying to have to draw everything again and still get a regular border. ;)

Level 18
OK so here are my borders. I am continuing my future/metal based them :grin::grin:

/ BTN / DISBTN / ATC / DISATC / PAS / DISPAS /

BTN.png
DISBTN.png
ATC.png
DISATC.png
PAS.png
DISPAS.png

And here is a screen on when i started working on the icon but i got an error... But i was clever and made a Screenshot then cut out my border from it ;)
Untitled_5.jpg

Level 18
Everything in my icon's is freehand lol....
How did i create the borders ?? drawing them lolz... In the screen you can see your icon beneth it i took 1 of your borders and resize it to my liking just to see how "thick"i can make my borders :) IF you look at the screenshot closly you can see some layers have little shading and almoust no light and the visible layer has shades and lights

Everything in my icon's is freehand lol....
How did i create the borders ?? drawing them lolz... In the screen you can see your icon beneth it i took 1 of your borders and resize it to my liking just to see how "thick"i can make my borders :) IF you look at the screenshot closly you can see some layers have little shading and almoust no light and the visible layer has shades and lights
I did not meant to offend you, I just asked out of curiosity, because I wanted to give you some advice on the creation of an UI.
If I were you, I'd definitely try it out. :)

Level 18
I know you didn't want to offend me :) I jsut explained it. Basicly i am not sure for the creation of a UI but if i start one i will ask be sure of it :) Advices are aways welcome because you can learn much from them ;] Be free to send some advices on a pm maybe

Level 25
Second WIP. Yes it looks quite simple, I want it like that. Borders shouldn't derive the attention too much from the icon itself in my opinion.

soqu6u.png

Final submission. I've noticed the stones need harder shadings/lightning as I resized it. Also figured I've made too small details to be enough noticable. Unfortunately I am out of time. So this will be my final entry. (sorry about the double post, but wanted to notify you about me being done)
Have to say it didn't really turn out to what I wanted it to.

95rd6v.png
-
312vlee.png

BTN and DISBTN
2rm03e9.png
-
28gw360.png

NEW BTN and DISBTN, these are the final ones:
ckunb.png
-
1z3s0t5.png

Last edited:
Final submission. I've noticed the stones need harder shadings/lightning as I resized it. Also figured I've made too small details to be enough noticable. Unfortunately I am out of time. So this will be my final entry. (sorry about the double post, but wanted to notify you about me being done)
Have to say it didn't really turn out to what I wanted it to.
The leaves are really tiny and insignificant. You can hardly see them properly in the icon itself. :(

I used 128x128 when working on it. Working on this small sizes never really been my thing, I don't really get the hang of it.
I see. I used that size myself. It's true, you don't have that much to work with, the trick is to get as much done as possible, resize the image to the original size (64x64 in this case) and do some touch-ups there.
Still, some experience in pixel art doesn't hurt.

Yeah, thanks for the tip. And sure it does not, I find it interesting to work in ways I don't usually do. So it has been a good experience even though I am not fully content with how it turned out :)
That's great to hear, because that's what contests are for: to push your boundaries and try out new things. You will improve automatically.

Old one was better :/

You may want to create an ATC instead with this piece, by toying around with those little squares (like spreading them more around, as if they are shuttered and floating in air) and by changing the red color.
That is a good idea.

Unfortunately, the elements you created in the border don't look very coherent. Hence, picking one element and using it for ATC borders would be a wise move.

Looking forward to what you post next!
cheerplz.gif

Level 30
The contest will be finished today?

--- no double post)

Here is my border, meh I want iconset with PAS and ATC, will try to do them in addition to this.. If i will not do so, please count this as my final entry :hohum:

Blood Dark Icon's Prison
attachment.php
attachment.php
I am sorry I have not saved another tests PSD files, I have only first sketch and thelast one with some merged layers, basically for wall detailed, spider.. next time i will be more ehh accuracy :cry:

Attachments

• ButtonIconP.png
    ButtonIconP.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 706
  • IconsPrison_BloodDark_BTN_DISBTN.rar
    18 KB · Views: 96
  • WorkPack_bloodprison.rar
    610.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DisButtonIconP.png
    DisButtonIconP.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 689
Last edited: