• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

(1) Project Y4: A Total Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Teehee, watched the video before the post was even made.
Your rampant subscribing only causes you spoiler-pain. Seeing things before everyone else? You only have yourself to blame! :ogre_hurrhurr::ogre_kawaii:

This is awesome! but wait, these are all that you've already made? Nice.
Well, I couldn't video them if I hadn't made them... :ogre_icwydt:

Yes, these are most of the current roster. I don't have Deltas with cannons in the random spawn line-up right now (let alone Deltas with cannons and shields) because cannons are so totally imbalanced and I haven't started work on the later stages of the game just yet.

I do plan more variety among the existing chassis, and I'm thinking it might be possible to revive even more terrible terrible old concepts into usable machinery. We shall see.

Level 23
I don't want to be Captain Obvious here... :ogre_datass:
...but will the final boss have an Omega mech? :ogre_hurrhurr:
You can't be Captain Obvious here, because I don't think I've even once remotely mentioned the possibility of the Omega ever doing anything.:ogre_icwydt:

The main problem with the Omega is that it has the side cannons. There is no real way in Warcraft to make those work. It's also big and long, so the large collision radius would make it awkward to work with.

So no, actually -- the Omega is extremely unlikely to make an appearance, and even if it does, it certainly won't be related to the final boss (for whom I have a billion alternative designs for in my doodle-pad at work... I'll settle on one eventually).

Level 23
I'm guessing that you have even more units up your sleeve, hehe:)
Well, the video doesn't explicitly cover any of the special/unique bosses except Firegun, plus there are the HoverCon units from their side quest(s) (HCHK, HCD, HCM), then there will be G1 Technology units that haven't been made yet for their side quest(s)...

Most of the enemy variety comes from alternative weapon/shield sets, but there is still plenty more fun to come.

Level 23
Oh, so if enemies will have different armament, will different units use different tactics too? I mean, long-range ones using hit&run/kitting tactics and such, or you're not going to make any enemy behavior modifications?
Uh, this is Warcraft we're talking about.

I don't have any plans to adjust the drone AI; it already takes a billion triggers to set up the proper patrol routes I have right now. Obviously ranged units will stand back and shoot, while melee ones will run at you.

I suppose it could be interesting to make some variants of the ranged units with minimum attack ranges, so they try to run away from you.

Level 23
Yes, now they do look biowasteier!
Well, the old versions didn't really have anything remotely biowaste-related in them, so it had to be done.

I am reaching the final stages of the main plot elements. This has necessitated that I design a management computer terminal, something larger and more bad-ass than the usual terminals you'll find throughout the facility.

mastercontrolterminal.jpg

I think I'll use this opportunity to introduce one final node-hacking maze, since you don't get to do any of them after the first round of node hacking.

Level 23
Hmmm, some text on the screens would look nice, that's true.
The screens are pretty small in-game, it's not really a big concern for me.
There will be constant updates even after it's fully released, right?
Depends what you mean by "updates". I fully intend to release a functionally complete product, with all bonus missions and content installed and finalised -- post-release, there should be no need for constant updates.

However, there will be bugs and I will obviously make as many fixes as are required after release.

Level 23
I would like to present to you... The most deadly opponent you will face in Facility EY43.

:ogre_hurrhurr:

The... assembly arm!

Yes, even the factories conspire against you. With a tiny range and doing very little damage, these machines strike quickly at those who dare walk within their miniscule range.

I also put a few more generic preview screens on the ModDB.

Attachments

• robutt.jpg
    robutt.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 118
Level 23
Oh, so they are killable...
so if there wil be assmebly arms, will there be some Stationary drills/saws/those things that squish metal scrap into metal cubes?
I think I will make welding arm/etc variants of the basic Assembly Arm (which is actually a cutting arm), eventually.

I want to add other industrial machinery to the two underground factory parts, but I'm not sure if I physically have enough space to cram them in (let alone enough doodads to get away with it).

Level 23
Maybe change the color of the 'acid' to a more brighter one, because first I actually thought that was grass, IF it's possible without having to redo everything.
Luckily it's a single tile texture that is easily replaced. I don't want it to be too bright, because then we end up confusing biowaste and plasma, but I suppose a little boost to counteract the dull reddish lighting environment can't hurt.

Est-ce qu'il y a une problème monsieur? :ogre_icwydt:

Level 23
Just posted a blog update, with details of what I've been working on recently and where the map is at.

Also added a new screenshot at ModDB, of the underground factory assembly units you'll be fighting through later on in the game.

:ogre_hurrhurr:

I would post some WIP shots of the model I'm currently working on during lunch hour at work, but he's kind of spoiler-tastic so I've got to keep shtum.

Level 23
Don't post it, neither in nor out of spoiler tags. Because then I will look, and I don't want that. :p
Don't worry, I'm not just keeping tight-lipped about the finale because I have never played long enough to get to it. There will be no spoilers.

It just means that the next while is going to be really boring in terms of artwork teasers.

The ammo pack shield actualy looks like reactive armour.
I have actually considered the idea of ablative/counter-explosive armour that reduces damage at the cost of only being able to absorb a certain number of hits before disintegrating, but at this point I'm not quite sure how to implement that. If only the "Unit Takes Damage" function could be assigned a variable instead of a hard unit reference...

Status
Not open for further replies.