• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

(1) Project Y4: A Total Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
So, gave the Glab over-arms as intended. Didn't intend them to be blades for melee attack, but I guess this still works (and gives me an opportunity for another cheap level-one weapon). At 322 triangles he's on budget for his size (after a few bloat worries), though adding any kind of backpack will certainly tip the balance -- then again, the Delta doesn't have arms so this one's allowed to be a little over on pure design terms.:ogre_datass:

I've made a slightly more modernist skull 'n' bone motif for the design tile, though I had to subdivide the quad on top of the cabin to stop it getting skewed because it's more of a trapezoid than a square.:ogre_hurrhurr:

I also added some blast marks to the rest of the texture and faded the glass a bit. Tried to add some cracks to the glass with little success, but then again, the pirates still need to operate in toxic environments/hard vacuum so the glass is one thing they would keep from being too battered. Maybe was a little over-zealous with the blast-marks, we shall see.:ogre_icwydt:

And I need to clean reinstall my video card drivers so that forced anti-aliasing in Milkshape and WC3 can come back.:ogre_frown:

Attachments

• glab.jpg
    glab.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 109
Level 19
Heh, so in your map lies some hidden surprises...
You could also say that those symbols were left over from the earlier civilization to remember those stuff they were representing, kinda like fossils being left over after many years.

Level 23
Unreal and Quake.
Correct and... close.:ogre_hurrhurr:

images
quake_2_graphic_lg.jpg

The important thing is that I've never played the original Quake, while I have Quake II and it has become a very prominent stylistic influence (see: everything being under red/brown lighting).

The second one is maybe Unreal Tournament related. :ogre_icwydt:
Ah Callahan, you crazy post-editor, I missed this update. Alas, your guess is way off the mark. This symbol isn't game related, it's the logo of an obscure (well, obscure here at any rate) German electro-pop duo called The Twins.
:ogre_haosis:
imgres

Level 23
No, I like the whole idea, although some are a little bit too obvious.
They're not really meant to be obvious or otherwise, they're just little nods to the things I love. I want to add more and more glowing signs because they help make the facility feel a bit more alive -- so I thought that I may as well put in adverts for influential things rather than arbitrary designs.

Level 27
They're not really meant to be obvious or otherwise, they're just little nods to the things I love. I want to add more and more glowing signs because they help make the facility feel a bit more alive -- so I thought that I may as well put in adverts for influential things rather than arbitrary designs.

Yes. Plus I'm sure it will be pleasure for quite a lot of people to find such easter eggs.

Level 19
Personally, I'd like a BFG in a glass container, with glowing letters above it that say BFG, and under it in smaller writing (Break Glass in Case of Emergency)

Then, it might be a temporary weapon, but you'd be able to use it for awhile and wreak havoc on a crowd of baddies--all while the building you're in is illuminated with images of id's upcoming title, Rage, and emblems of Doom and Quake.

Level 27
Personally, I'd like a BFG in a glass container, with glowing letters above it that say BFG, and under it in smaller writing (Break Glass in Case of Emergency)

Then, it might be a temporary weapon, but you'd be able to use it for awhile and wreak havoc on a crowd of baddies--all while the building you're in is illuminated with images of id's upcoming title, Rage, and emblems of Doom and Quake.

Dude this is RDZ, not ID software.
And Rao is not Romero... or is he? :ogre_icwydt:

Level 23

Let's not get carried away, now. I know I enjoyed Quake II, but I'm not exactly an Id fanboi.

Also, no shitting way am I programming that BFG projectile. :ogre_icwydt:
Dude this is RDZ, not ID software.
And Rao is not Romero... or is he? :ogre_icwydt:
If I had his kind of pulling power I wouldn't be developing tin-pot mods alone for an eight-year-old game now, would I?

Level 27
Let's not get carried away, now. I know I enjoyed Quake II, but I'm not exactly an Id fanboi.

Also, no shitting way am I programming that BFG projectile. :ogre_icwydt:

If I had his kind of pulling power I wouldn't be developing tin-pot mods alone for an eight-year-old game now, would I?

Fine, then you are officially Romero of tin-pot modding.

Level 23
I've been working on power-ups recently, so I wrote a little skit about them, their current state and some intentions. I'm still not certain on many of the details, so some external input might be nice. :ogre_icwydt:

Meanwhile, it seems to be the tutorial that is the most complete and perfect part of the map right now. I have added a "statue room" (like in Deus Ex's tutorial) to the end where each projector has a bit of information about the machine on display. :ogre_datass:

This line-up may look small, but remember that most of these have several variants that can spawn (especially the Delta). :ogre_hurrhurr:

Attachments

• iwantedorange.jpg
    iwantedorange.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 117
Level 19
Me too, so will units be able to see themselves from the back of those holograms as if it was translucent? That effect would be kinda cool, or maybe even a sizzling effect to the hologram everytime a unit walks through it...

Status
Not open for further replies.