1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Role Playing Game] (1) Brownscape: Torment (Working Title)

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Rao Dao Zao, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Rao Dao Zao

Rao Dao Zao

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've been working on RDZ Industries: Project Y4 for, pretty much, two years solid, so I hope you'll understand if I want to take a little breather before doing the bonus missions.

Back when I was deciding where to go next, all those years ago, it was a toss-up between Project Y4 and a map known only as Brownscape: Torment.

Fast-forward more than two years. The plot-constipation that made Brownscape a no-go back then has, by stress and the attendant sleepless nights, somehow dissipated and I now think I've got enough elements planned out that I can make another attempt to continue the stub I made so long ago.

Brownscape: Torment

It's built on the RdzPG (or rDZpg?) platform -- it is systematically a This Wreckage clone, focusing on a single central hero in an open-ish world with indoor and outdoor areas, sword and shield and item stacking systems, and so on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Y2n_0FBw8 In the desert, all is dust.

[​IMG]

Lash, the Outcast, lives on the edge of a fortress town in the middle of the desert. He is a Shul'kra -- a dusky, chitinous biped, a "Child of Shul". Exiled for his delving into the ways of magic, in a society that hates magic, he is nonetheless allowed to continue living in the vicinity of the oasis: for even the most callous Shul'kra know that sending anyone into the open desert means certain death.

[​IMG]

And then one day, a Sage arrives, asking that he be allowed to examine the fabled libraries that the Shul'kra supposedly keep locked underground...

[​IMG]

The Shul'kra

The Shul'kra are based on Olof Moleman's Geonosian model. I recieved personal and explicit permission to perform edits as necessary to create the central characters of the game, so without Olof, Brownscape would never have got off the ground -- massive, massive kudos to him (for he is both w00t, rad and awesome).

The Shul'kra are a very insular people. Outsiders, and poor outcast Lash, are not allowed into their fortress-town. However, as a courtesy against the harsh reality of the desert, they run the Tavern of Broken Wings, where locals and outsiders alike may drink and find shelter from the blazing sun and the terrible, abrasive sandstorms.

[​IMG]

The Desert

While the oasis around which the Shul'kra make their homes marks the centre of the desert, it is by no means the only accessible part. Travel by night, move underground, use magic or just keep a vial of water with you to stave off the burning heat of the sun. Stay out too long without protection and you will die, but plan carefully and know where you're going and you might just make it through the sea of sand.

The desert might seem featureless, but scattered around are plenty of points of interest. Sunken cave entrances, oases, abandoned buildings from earlier ages -- the mysteries of the Shul'kra won't be uncovered by clinging to the safety of the oasis.

[​IMG]

And That's It
    Keep It Simple, Stupid. Brownscape: Torment will not be a ten-hour epic, it won't revolutionise the genre and it definitely won't fight the engine, silhouetted against the skyline by flashes of lightning. It will, however, hopefully be an intriguing little story with its own quirks and twists...

Discuss
    Hi, I'm Rao Dao Zao and I make singleplayer RPGs.

Attached Files:

2. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    This looks like a promising project. I played This Wreckage and really enjoyed a lot of the RPG aspects you put into it. I'm sure this one will be just as good, keep up the good work. +Rep

3. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi RDZ, what's it like making singleplayer RPGs?

Subscribed. (Deolrin's gonna get a heart attack)

4. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This looks really inspiring and well done. I loved the environment and model pick. Single player for the win by the way.

5. Rao Dao Zao

Rao Dao Zao

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    To be honest, I'm not actually sure that any of my stuff really qualifies as an "RPG". I guess it fits in the context of hero-focused WC3 maps, if not in the rest of the world.

It is long and hard. :ogre_icwydt:

Damn right! :ogre_kawaii:

6. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You are incredible.

7. Arcisal

Arcisal

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Looks awesome but I was hoping that it would resemble Placescape slightly more.

I think these short & sweet simple RPGs are the greatest. Just an adventure to play through. You should make more of these. Awesome!

8. Rao Dao Zao

Rao Dao Zao

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    :ogre_datass:
    Planescape: Torment was on my mind when I started the map, and I'm still not sure what its real name will be... So Brownscape: Torment shall do for now.:ogre_hurrhurr:

Well, more content is better but I don't feel like spending another year or two working on the same project. Luckily all the systems are already in place from the first pass, so Brownscape's turn-around time should be relatively (relatively) quick -- as it'll only be a matter of implementing pure content and scripting plot events.

9. HOooDy

HOooDy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Cool! but i have suggestions ...

I know your a best modeller , terrainer , mapper , or other.
    but i think you can produce more and more models such as doodads , units , destructables.

10. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    *see another RDZ project*

*faints*

SRPG FTW! <3

11. Rao Dao Zao

Rao Dao Zao

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    To be fair, I think I'm I'm incapable of making anything that isn't a singleplayer RPG. Even RDZArena was focused on being a singleplayer game.

12. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well the fact that you make all your models/skins/other art stuffs and doing all the coding. You already proved to us that you're a great modder. And SRPG maps are more enjoyable to play this days.

13. Rao Dao Zao

Rao Dao Zao

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Since some of the scenes in Brownscape are going to be a little more intimate than any of my previous stuff, I'm looking into doing the occasional funny camera angle. The bulk of the game will be camlocked to Lash as normal, but one-room areas like this mysterious cave will have fixed funny angles.

:ogre_hurrhurr:

And here's a picture of the Stone King. He rules a large part of the underground and hates criminals.

:ogre_datass:

Attached Files:

14. AyeKantSpel

AyeKantSpel

Resources:
    Resources:
    Another legendary RDZ production?
    Subscribed.

15. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Looks great! Though I still have a hang over on your Project Y4 terrain.

16. Drunken_Jackal

Drunken_Jackal

Resources:
    Resources:
    You. Are. A. God.

You give people like me another reason to play WarCraft 3.

17. May90

May90

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is just awesome, as always! Terrain is simply perfect, as well as models. I must give you that, you alone keep me working on my RPG campaign.
    + Rep!

18. Rao Dao Zao

Rao Dao Zao

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Don't people/things have to be dead before you can declare them legendary?:ogre_icwydt:

It's not that bad, is it? :sad:

What, you aren't staying around for all the 12-player AoSes?:ogre_hurrhurr:

And that's the real reason why I'm still going -- I want to encourage other people to keep the singleplayer flame alive. :ogre_kawaii:

19. Drunken_Jackal

Drunken_Jackal

Resources:
    Resources:
    I barely play those. But still, meh.

Y4 is great. You should have no doubts on it.

20. Alfagar

Alfagar

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Omg, you're the man! The idea and story are very exclusive. And the creator is awesome.