• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Import] 1.29.2 object editor data on newer patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Hey, is there a way to have all my object editor data kept by the manner of exporting and importing it?

Say, I'll not use Latest (Melee Patch) but Custom TfT 1.07 (the stable/standard version?) but first export all object data of 1.29.2 and then import it over the 1.07 version (once the map is saved on it), will the fields be considered modified if I save the map afterwards or will they change to 1.07?

The real question is, how can we keep a specific patch version object data on newer patches without having to always export from 1.29.2 and import over the newer patch versions?

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
The exported file only contains modified fields.
If I understand you correctly, you want to have the balance patch of 1.29.2 while using 1.07 as game data set, so future patches will not change it?
I assume if you export the 1.29.2 latest patch file and then import it into a 1.07 map, only the the fields you modified from 1.29.2 will be exported, so only those will overwrite 1.07. Everything else will be reverted to 1.07.

You probably have manually apply all the 1.29.2 changes onto 1.07. By using 1.07 the object data should not change when a patch is released, so you only have to do it once.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
You probably have manually apply all the 1.29.2 changes onto 1.07. By using 1.07 the object data should not change when a patch is released, so you only have to do it once.
I see... Could there be a way to do it automatically like with strings import or something?
Manually... it'll take a week... Imagine, I'd have to compare each filed and that would require two editors opened at the same time.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
I don't know how string import works, so no idea if it can help.
I have a spreadsheet of all unit data from 1.26, which should be the same as 1.29 for the most part, as unit changes were only introduced in 1.30. Maybe it could be useful.
You could also look up the 1.29 values on liquipedia, it's not on 1.30 yet.
But yeah, it would take pretty long if you wanted to compare every field. You can skip a lot of objects, such as creeps and also skip a lot of fields, because only very few change: damage, attack speed, hp, armor, gold cost, ...
Art stuff, tooltips, abilities and things like that rarely change. Would still take long though.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
Here it is in a few different file extensions. I hope you can open one. The .csv one is seperated with semicolons.

Attachments

• UnitSpreadSheet2.zip
    336.9 KB · Views: 76

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Here it is in a few different file extensions. I hope you can open one. The .csv one is seperated with semicolons.
This is how it looks on .slk:
Jampion126SpreadSheet.png
The rest I cannot use.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
Looks good. It's 3 times the same file with a different format, so you only need to be able to open one.

You could just import the SLK and TXT unit data from 1.29.2 into your map, so that when you use Melee (Latest patch) on that map it will always use 1.29.2 on all versions.
People say importing SLKs in your map will cause OTHER maps to crash when you play them after your map. So, you could just write a custom program to build the changeset from 1.07 to 1.29 as a w3o file.

Go to your 1.29.2 installation. Open War3x.mpq. extract every file in "Units\" folder that is a .slk that does NOT contain the words "MetaData.slk" as it's ending (MetaData wouldn't be needed, it defines which settings you can change in the World Editor, not the values of the settings). Examples would be "Units\UnitData.slk" and "Units\UnitBalance.slk" . Then, also in this folder, extract a bunch of TXT files. You want the ones named "Func" on the end. For example, "Units\HumanUnitFunc.txt" and "Units\OrcUnitFunc.txt". Then, import these files in your map. They must have the same MPQ path in the map, so change "war3mapImported" to "Units". Then, be really careful in the editor, so that you only work on your custom unit data while the editor has the 1.29.2 SLK/TXT data loaded. That way it won't reset anything to defaults that matches with Patch 1.07 or Patch 1.30+ data.

Edit: I made a terrible video tutorial of this where I took all the Starcraft units and replaced the Warcraft III standard units with the Starcraft units in a map using this method. My mic wasn't set up right, so the video sound quality is terrible. But I will link it here soon.

Last edited:
Hey, is there a way to have all my object editor data kept by the manner of exporting and importing it?

Say, I'll not use Latest (Melee Patch) but Custom TfT 1.07 (the stable/standard version?) but first export all object data of 1.29.2 and then import it over the 1.07 version (once the map is saved on it), will the fields be considered modified if I save the map afterwards or will they change to 1.07?

The real question is, how can we keep a specific patch version object data on newer patches without having to always export from 1.29.2 and import over the newer patch versions?
Actually, a while ago, I suggested to Blizzard (@MindWorX) to create a button in WE to do just what you want to do, that is, to copy 1.29.2 or latest melee data on top of 1.07 data, which would allow one to use "latest patch data" but to be immune to future patch changes in custom maps/campaigns. I do not know if they really want to do it. It has its own problems, but it would still be helpful for custom map/campaign makers who prefer using latest melee changes for their games rather than sticking to TFT 1.07. If one has used Melee Game Data Set in custom maps/campaigns, they can now have problems, when Blizzard has started to update their game after many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.