• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

1.2 Boss fights and tactics guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Since there aren't any guides or even videos out on YouTube about this subject, I decided to start one as a side project. So far me and my brother, Gurgamel, has completed two of the current 1.2 bosses but I will add more in the near future when we get the time to do more. If anyone wants to contribute, whether it be tactical information or a video on the other bosses I haven't written about then feel free to give me a reply in this thread and I will add it in to the main post.

Statistics

Level: 39
Health: 26500
Armor: 75
Damage: 206-218

Abilities

earthquake.gif
Earthquake - Random point in the combat area will erupt and deal a lot of damage every second, move out of it or you will die.​
warstomp.gif
Ground Slam - Deals heavy damage in an area around the Hill Giant when he finishes casting it, you have time to move out of the way but its not very lethal.​
hurlboulder.gif
Boulder Toss - Hill Giant will throw around boulders that will damage the party members. Can be dodged if moving fast enough.​

Comment

All three spells will be cast after each other in the exact same order.
After Hill Giant casts Earthquake he will begin to cast Ground Slam so keeping an eye out for that will alert you in good time when its time to run away from it.

Difficulty rating: Moderate

Statistics

Level: 43
Health: 38000
Armor: 65
Damage: 255-259

Abilities

manastone.gif
Frostbomb - Gazrow throws a bomb at an area, dealing moderate damage and slowing heavily for a period fo time.​
firebolt.gif
Flamethrower - Gazrow will rapidly shoot out fire at his current target, dealing lethal damage if hit several times. The fire travels in a straight line and can be dodged.​
skill-3.jpg
Enrage - Gazrow's attack speed rate is increased, making his melee attack DPS increase dramatically and lethal to any partymember.​
holybolt.gif
Heal - A moderate heal with around 2,5 seconds casting time and an estimated cooldown of 10 seconds. Can be interrupted.​

Comment

Gazrow Steamwrench is a boss that requires intense healing and precise coordination by the tank.
To defeat him you will need to be ready to counter every single ability he casts.
His Heal can be casted frequently so its important to always have an interruption ready.
Frostbomb is very lethal if the tank gets hit by it since it will leave him exposed to the Flamethrower, making it impossible to dodge it.
Enrage is the most dangerous ability he has since its harder to counter,
make good use of crowd control or intensive healing to stay alive.

Difficulty rating: Challenging

Statistics

Level: 45
Health: 37000
Armor: 62
Damage: 172-183

Abilities

skill-1.gif
Chrysalis - Entangles a unit with web, immobilizing it and dealing damage over time. Chrysalis can be removed by destroying it or after 24 seconds has passed. It has 350 Health and 15 Armor.​
skill-3.gif
Acid Breath - Brood Matriarch breaths out a cloud of acid poison at an area, dealing heavy Poison damage every second. Players should stay out of it.​
inv_egg_02.png
Spawn Broodlings - Brood Matriarch starts spawning Broodlings, these small spiders start with low health but they will regenerate health with each attack. They should be dealt with fast.

skill-0.gif
Broodling- 751/5000 Health, 0 Armor, 48-53 Damage, 15 Armor Penetration. Each attack will regenerate their health, starting at ~100 and increasing with each attack made.​

Comment

Brood Matriarch is a boss that needs good cooperation between the players and a decent amount of multi-target damage.
Countering her abilities are a priority to be able to win the fight and having a good tank that can keep aggro on multiple targets is necessary.

Chrysalis is not a very threatening ability by it self, but if its combined with Acid Breath it makes a lethal combination.
If a tank gets stuck in a web while Brood Matriarch starts casting Spawn Broodlings it can be a good idea to help him loose so that he can start grabbing aggro directly.

Difficulty rating: Challenging

Statistics

Level: 47
Health: 56000
Armor: 0
Damage: 195-209

Abilities

Normal Phase

BTNCryptFiendBurrow.png
Dive - Gargoyle dives down at a target unit with increased movement speed, dealing damage once he reaches it.​
devour-e14z.gif
Focus - A selected unit in the party will generate more threat than normally for a period of time.​
tornado.gif
Tornado - Gargoyle summons a tornado, it will slowly move around throughout the battle. Everyone around the Tornado will be slowed.​

Stone Form Phase

stoneform.gif
Stone Form - Gargoyle lands on the ground, turning in to stone. While in Stone Form he will gain 85 Armor, higher resistance values and he will stop attacking and casting spells. He is also vulnerable against melee attacks while in Stone Form.

BTNCarrionScarabs.png
Crawling Plague - These little bugs will spawn at random locations during the Stone Form phase. They will begin to attack the nearest unit or the one with the most threat generated.
Crawling Plague has 2000 Health, 132-137 Damage and 55 Armor.​

Comment

Gargoyle is currently the hardest boss in Gaias Retaliation, and requires all roles in the party to work hard in order to defeat him.
During the Normal phase he is airborne and cannot be attacked by melee attacks, he will attack the unit with the most threat and cast spells at random.
When he enters Stone Form Phase the hard part begins, the tank must be ready to pick up all Crawling Plague that spawns and make sure the weaker player characters dont get attacked and killed since Tornado makes it hard for them to kite if they get aggro.
It is better to focus on killing the Crawling Plague while Stone Form is active since his defensive stats are considerably much higher than in Normal phase

Difficulty rating: Deadly

NOTE: This is not going to be individually restricted guide, if anyone wants to contribute with information I will gladly add it in to the main post.
If its a complete Boss guide I will also add your name to the title.

Difficulty rating scale:
Low
Moderate
Challenging
Deadly

Credits:
Gurgamel
Ihazdialup
Lever10
Box_of_Faith

Thanks to
Zwiebelchen - For making this map.

Last edited:
Level 11
I have now completed the guides for Brood Matriarch and Gargoyle.
I will also add a small guide to the Hammer quest as well and make a few changes here and there but overall they are complete.

I want to say thanks to Ihazdialup, Box_of_Faith and Lever10 (the lagger) for helping me record the last two bosses.

I'm gonna be ready for recording data when 1.2B comes out. 1080p videos will be provided as well.

Level 5
you might also want to add that the webs do a small amount of probably poison damage to you per sec. Dont know the math but i know its there.

Level 3
It seems like there are 2 types of poison clouds...a smaller one with kind of more "poisonous" green, that can occur in the whole battle area, and a bigger one with brighter green around the matriarch. Does anybody know any difference between them?

Status
Not open for further replies.