• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Shadows of Everwood - ORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Shadows of Everwood
An epic tale of strife, magic and glory...

Suggested Players: 4-12
Map Scale: 480x480
Tileset: Ashenvale
File Size: 7MB

Developer Role

Wolfe Orscythe
Project Leader, Terrainer, Writer, Designer
Tukki Coder
Oziris Terrainer
thedeathunterxx Terrainer

Overview:

Shadows of Everwood is an Open Roleplaying Game risen from the ashes of http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/everwood-unique-orpg-66835/. Like the former, Shadows of Everwood will have numerous features, however the game itself will be centered around gameplay and the conflict that is Everwood Forest. It will feature an array of heroes from two different factions, gameplay focused on teamwork and strategy as well as player vs. player combat in certain zones of the game. Items, systems, story, quests and features will also be evident in this project to create a "unique gaming experience".

Story: (Subject to change at any time.)
Once, long ago, the Ivory Tower of Llyanith stood tall over the dense overgrowth known as Everwood Forest. This tower, soaring into the skies and made from marble, was an eternal sign of the elven reign. Around it, the shining kingdom of the elves lived in peace and tranquility. However, this all ended when the summit of the tower exploded, causing it to rain magic and severely corrupting the people caught in the arcane tempest. The pure elves made it their duty to end the suffering of their corrupt ilk, and cleanse the kingdom of their taint. However, they did not fathom the power of their brethren, nor did they expect the catastrophic war that followed.

After the Shadow War, as it was named, the elves were left powerless and depleted in numbers. It was at this time that the Imperial Crown, an empire of humans that grew over the Shadow War, conquered the elven kingdom and demanded that the elves amalgamate with their glorious empire, or be executed. The cornered elves declined, and rallied together in what was left of the Ivory Tower. Once the elves were out of the picture, the empire claimed right to the elven provinces, a deed that they would regret. The polytheistic Fakkani Empire made their claims to the ancient kingdom of the elves, and when the humans conquered the elven provinces, the Fakkani High King called for war.

While the Fakkani Empire wages war against the Imperial Crown, shadows begin to form above the Ivory Tower, and an arcane tempest may very well be brewing once more...

Features:
  • Make yourself a reputable warrior in either the Imperial Crown or the Fakkani Empire.
  • Choose one of twelve classes in each faction.
  • Fight for your empire through five chapters of player vs. enemy combat, filled with quests.
  • Wage war on the battlefield in the name of your king in a rewarding player vs. player experience.
  • Five dungeons, one in each bracket for both factions, that must be controlled by your faction before you may enter.
  • Level cap is set to 50.
  • Venture through the expansions of Everwood Forest with your very own world map!
  • Earn a mount at level 40.
  • Dwell into a world of conflict and beauty, with various camera angles for you to play with and fight, explore and view the beautiful world that is Everwood.
  • Play the game with a custom model, which though it may have armor already, has weapons that appear as your equip them.
  • Control zones and earn Strategic Points for your faction and eventually raid the enemy capital.
  • Event quests which serve as your "grinding". Speak to a quest NPC to activate an event and battle through it with your allies! Event quests vary from phased boss fights, defenses, sieges and mini-games.
  • Customize your level stats with caution, as certain stats will invoke the potential of magical weapons and armor.
  • Duel an ally in the arena and win one of their items.
  • Wield abilities enhanced by a realistic condition system that may be imbued or negated by other spells.
  • Animated models for each item dropped in Shadows of Everwood.
  • Custom inventory system with 25 slots, 4 "quick-access" slots and current item slots (helm, neck, main-hand, off-hand, body, feet, hands, shoulders, waist, ring one, ring two and wrist).
  • Transparent trees and roofs, with houses that you may enter to see NPCs carry out their day.
  • Realistic night and day system, where NPCs sleep and shops close.
  • Your heroes animations depend on the weapon he/she is wielding.

ConceptScreen.jpg

• Create quests.
  • Create systems that benefit gameplay.
  • Create custom spells.
  • Keep trigger code organized and clean.
  • Remove all leaks.

POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
3D ARTIST
  • Create attractive, low-poly animated item models for Shadows of Everwood's items.
  • Create weapon-less hero models for our heroes.
  • Create doodads for the terrain, or special locations.
  • Create models of any kind, be it a boss or a creep.

Please give me a personal message if you wish to join this project, as well as a sample of your works. Provide any feedback or suggestions if you'd like.

Last edited:
Level 3
Hi Wolfe. As you may remember, I was a long time active-inactive viewer and poster for the regular Everwood forum. I've helped out a lot with quest info and other aspects of the rpg, and I would be hurt to see all this progress and development go to waste. I'd love to become a 2D Artist for Shadows of Everwood. All my work viewable at the moment is on my Photobucket and is earlier work of my use of Photoshop. At the moment I am taking a Flash, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop class to improve my image creation and my website abilities.

My email is [email protected], please contact me with your decision.

Level 17
Just bumping the thread along. We still require a 3D Artist and another Coder.

Level 17
Unfortunately, we do not need another terrainer. My apologies to you for that, but thank you for offering. ^.^

Level 17
How? The duel has to be agreed upon by both players, if that is what you mean't.

Level 16
Not really, think of it this way; 1 person might have godly imba items ^^(exaggerate) they can freely give it to a noob by just dueling and without saving they can reload those items again while the noob has those godly imba items^^. Hope you understand what I mean't... Unless you want me to put it into another reasonable way, lol.

Level 17
You bring up a very valid point there, light.

This may be a good example of how the new item system would negate such cheating. The item system enables stats to be based on your current stats, for example:

One person may have 12 STR, and upon receiving an item that grants the following:

50% of current strength is doubled and made into melee damage, the player would only receive 6 melee damage.

On the other hand, the noob would still have those god-like items and be able to wear them when he the correct level without moving a muscle. We could somehow always take the player's item, and giving the noob an item that is suitable to the noob's level.

Level 16
Hmm, this seems like a very promising, well thought out ORPG. If you ever need me to test it out you can pm me and i'll see if I can make it. :) Goodluck on completing this project. I would like to see most of this with custom models, terrains, icons, spells while keeping it under the 8mb mark!

Level 17
It will include aggro and aggro meters, yes as well as a floating text system that displays things that a DPS meter would.

Level 17
No, no. You're not questioning too much. These are pretty basic questions about the gameplay, which I am striving to be the best feature in the game.

For each class, there are eleven spells. There are no job advances, nor is there a skill tree. There may be some potential for a skill tree, however there are no plans for one as of yet.

Level 17
You leave Oz and I to worry about the terrain. We have high ambitions for the terrain, so I hope they will not be our downfall. I must say this, though, 480x480 is not a promise - it is a placeholder so that we do not have to state our limits before we have even begun the terrain.

So far, the demo is pretty much almost fully documented with quests, items, heroes, etc. I've begun the Fakkani Empire's demo side, and awaiting Oziris' holidays to begin so he can start on the Imperial Crown's demo side, then ultimately the rest of the map. We're currently seeking a full-time coder, as Tukki is still a little occupied with time.

-EDIT-
Anachron, our current plans for the inventory system is for it to be full-screen. From what I've heard from Tukki, and some of his alpha screenshots, there are twenty-five slots for all-purpose items and pick-ups, four slots that act as your holster (using the standard WCIII inventory - it will contain potions, throwing items, etc.) and the twelve slots for your items. It also features auto-updated tooltips that add up your current stat and the stat affected by the new item system. It will also have a "drop feature", allowing you to destroy unwanted items.

Level 17
Anachron, I hope so too. I am going to recruit on both WC3C and theHelper.net in hopes of finding one.

And, to you light, there are repeatable event quests. These are generally the event quests that have nothing to do with the storyline, such as a dragon hunt, etc. And no, there will not be a formula from killing creeps. However, when in a party, experience is divided. Hopefully this answers your first question sufficiently.

Level 17
Yeah, that is. =P I think repeatable quests are enough, really. However, I don't want players to grind with them, as it would make a tremendously boring game. Repeatable event quests will be rewarding, challenging and fun. The aim for event quests is to act as an alternative to just grinding the game and wasting hours of your life. <.<

... well, you still do waste hours of your life, but the time wasted should be worth it.

Level 17
A spellbar is a cast-time bar, right? I've never heard that term before. =/

Level 16
Will you implement a bar above your head to show how much aggro you have on a mob and also one when you cast a spell, it shows how much till the spell is casted. Will there be custom music? Will there be dungeon mobs that will reset after they have been pulled away from their zone?

Level 17
Yes, there will be a bar that shows how much threat has been gained. For spellcasters, we will implement a cast-bar. I really think custom music would be great, but a little too much. There is plenty of standard WC3 music/sounds.

With dungeons, it really depends if the mob is lured outside of the dungeon itself. Otherwise, no.

Level 17
Currently, it is still in alpha stage. Tukki is doing it when he has time, which is why the project needs another coder.

Is WC3C active?

Level 17
Anyone?

I've decided to update this thread with a preview of the Blazing Priest, one of the heroes in the Imperial Crown. Perhaps this may sway some people to join the project, who knows. We really need a full-time coder.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Blazing Priest
The Blazing Priest takes on the role of an offensive healer, magically combining fire and light to create an array of brightness. Driven by righteousness and his quest for eternal enlightenment, the Blazing Priest strives to cauterize the wounds of his comrades while simultaneously igniting his enemies in holyfire.

Faction Imperial Crown
Race Human
Role Offensive Healer
Armor Cloth
Weapons Hammers, Orbs
Primary Stats Intelligence, Faith
Magic Type Fire
Colours Red, Gold, Orange

Strengths
  • Able to deal sufficient damage
  • Damaging abilities also heal allies
  • Negates frost attacks
Weaknesses
  • Easily overpowered when under attack
  • Obvious target for enemies
  • Stronger when in groups

Fireball
Spell Type: damaging
Cooldown: x seconds
Range: xxx yards
Cast Time: x seconds
Cost: xx energy
The Blazing Priest launches a ball of searing fire at a target, dealing intelligence*x.x fire damage and burning it.
Cauterize
Spell Type: healing
Range: xxx yards
Cast Time: x seconds
The Blazing Priest cauterizes a wound with fire, sealing it shut and healing the target for faith*x.x life.
Divine Fire
Spell Type: damaging/healing
Range: xx yards
Cast Time: instant
The Blazing Priest unleashes his inner fire to deal intelligence*x.x fire damage to all targets and heal allies for faith*x.x life.

Level 17
A priest with a stave, though classic, is also used in all games known to man. The Blazing Priest strives to sway from that stereotype, and wield different weapons. The hammer also gives him some melee leverage, as this class is a short-range healer and damage dealer.

Level 17
In a way, he is a paladin. However, he is also a spellcaster. When I said that the hammer gives him melee leverage, it doesn't mean the Blazing Priest can start hitting things recklessly as his primary stats focus more on spellcasting and healing. He also has no melee-striking spells.

Level 2
A priest with a stave, though classic, is also used in all games known to man. The Blazing Priest strives to sway from that stereotype, and wield different weapons. The hammer also gives him some melee leverage, as this class is a short-range healer and damage dealer.

I would think someone on such a holy quest would not care about stereotypes, if that's what your suggest XD. If your suggesting that the blazing priest thought "gee all spellcasters use staffs, I should totally use a hammer, so I can bash the evil's brains in, even though that's against what I stand for(which from your description sounds like burning evil and healing good)

not that I personally mind it, but if you do give him a hammer, it is much like a paladin, as a paladin is a melee/spellcaster pretty much, but in this case you say he has melee leverage but shouldn't ever exclusively use the hammer, which separates paladin from your class. Also paladins can typically wear better gear then your average cleric. I like the idea, and it gives me an idea; elemental weapon types. You obviously have no concern with giving certain people certain weapons, so you could make it where each class can use certain element(s), and even more, make it so they can only use certain weapon types, I.e your blazing priest dude could use hammers, staves, and, uhm, orbs(w.e that is, sounds interesting) of elements light, fire, and some sort of combination of those, like firelight(like fireflys, you could say that they are in the orbs and make orb-exclusive elements with that). I'm not suggesting to put this in your map really, I'm just using it as an example. Idealism is a hobby.

gee kinda rambled on right there..anyways been watching this map since it was first put in a thread.....can't wait to say the least :grin:

edit: just reread your description, like the way you put fire and light, maybe instead of firelight(which is pretty cheesy) put brightness

again not suggesting this for your map, just doing my hobby

Level 17
You work on a map for a couple of years, then start a new map when sc2 is about to come out? I don't see the logic in that.

Good luck on this map.
StarCraft 2 will have its initial popularity, however WarCraft III will always be alive. The fact that StarCraft 2 is more futuristic/science-fiction means that a whole team of modelers would be required to make a project like this.

That is my logic.

Also - Tukki has almost finished the inventory, will post screenshots of it soon. Still looking for a skilled coder and 3D artist.

Sorry for the accidental doublepost.

Last edited:
Level 17
Okay, I've decided to update this thread with a few more updates in regards to Shadows of Everwood's progress.

Currently, I am heavily involved with the design of the demo which is estimated to be available sometime during summer. Tukki is at 90% with the inventory, and hopes to be finished within the next day or so.

I have now created eight hero concepts that will be used in the demo, four for each side, with different roles. So far, I have revealed to you the Blazing Priest. I may choose to reveal one of the Fakkani classes eventually, but for now, I leave you with the names of the demo classes. Granted, names are worthless, but I don't feel up to giving everything away. Especially because this is the project recruitment forum, not the map development forum.

Tanking Classes Imperial Crown: Oathbearer
Fakkani Empire: Juggernaut
Healing Classes: Imperial Crown: Blazing Priest
Fakkani Empire: Necromancer
Ranged Damage Classes: Imperial Crown: Alchemist
Fakkani Empire: Witch
Melee Damage Classes: Imperial Crown: Lancer
Fakkani Empire: Shade

Status
Not open for further replies.