• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Weekend Mapping Madness #2 - Poll

Maps

• [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2000082-post208.html"]Defense Map[/URL] - Aeroblyctos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2000145-post223.html"]Eliminate The Terrorist[/URL] - Death

• [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2000105-post210.html"]/ - Brambleclaw[/URL]

• [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2000215-post231.html"]/ - Figueiredo00[/URL]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

weekend%20mapping%20madness.png
number.png
2.png

poll.png

178091-albums2336-picture50721.jpg

Defense
Contestants are challenged to make a defense map.
No 'Defend a target' restriction for this contest.
*You are allowed to use your map from this contest and continue working on it for the Mini-Game Mapping Contest #5*

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 30 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• -Kobas-
  • Vengeancekael
  • Spinnaker
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Checking FieldExplanationPoints

Originality:
Map must be original, a simple copy of another map might get less points for the gameplay and originality, but if the terrain and everything are fine, then you would still have some points. We want to see unique things and cool ideas.You can score up to 15 points here.
Map Presentation/Design: Author name, map name, category, type, description, links ingame on loading screen, messages ingame are very important.
How good the map preview or the loading screen image are, check tooltips, quest menu, icons all around (hero/unit stats, interface, tooltips etc).
Same colored icons and spell effects as well as models (like green for poison hero) are better than random ones.
Passive icons on active ones or vice versa are bad.
Check UI and game constants as well.
You can score up to 10 points here.
Terrain: Please take care, some maps use a generated terrain (created with triggers), thus the preview image may show an empty map.
Negative things are empty, plain, single-tile terrains, without environmental doodads or any kind of terrain style.
Good things are special effect doodads (to make the terrain a little animated), lighting, fog, terrain styles or custom resources.
You can score up to 25 points here.
Triggers/Efficiency/Performance: Bugs, errors and performance issues will reduce your score. (Everything created with triggers is usually the case) However if there are just small bugs/errors, then you probably won't get a lower score.
Memory leaks are the main problem, systems and spells should be more or less lag-free/errorless.
Even protected maps can show how good the user's triggering skills are, for example check if there are any performance issues when units are spawned.
Object Data: Units' size ingame, selection size, how good creeps look like. (small skeleton with sword, normal with bow and another one with axe is better than ogre, gnoll and murloc -> Creeps should not be completely random and very different from each other).
In other words check how good abilities and stats fit to units.
Maps with a huge file size are horrible, no one will wait 2 minutes long to download a map on battle.net. (unless single player)
That's why we need to check imported resources.
MP3 files can be edited, the quality can be reduced and thus a lot of space can be saved, simple effect sounds without voice can be reduced even to 32 kbps in some cases, for voices don't go below 50.
Maps with a file size of 8MB and only 1 sound effect/music file are not acceptable. Also check if only a part of a song is used and if it has been cropped.
Same thing goes for textures, if you can reduce the quality from 100-75% and thus the size will go down from 40-70% in some cases.
Gameplay:The gameplay is the main aspect of the map. Game modes, game difficulties, special events, systems(not how well they are made, but if they make the map more fun) etc.
Everything else that is left unchecked can go here. Please check how balanced the gameplay is, check how long the game lasts, if the map can be finished without any major problems.
You can score up to 30 points here.
  • 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3

MapsContestants
The Minefieldbowser499
Magic The Gathering : DefenseWraithling
The ExorcistFan
Destromath TDMagtheridon96
Defense MapAeroblyctos
Eliminate the TerroristDeathChef
Tidal DefenseJazztastic
Upgrade DefenseBrambleclaw
No NameDonDustin
No NameFigueiredo00

Last edited:
Level 51
Want a hug? :3

I played your map.
The terrain would get a really high score, but the triggering was awful >.<

Yes please :ogre_frown:

:p

Hehe, thank you. Triggering was never my strengh :D I actually wanted to change that with this contest, but as destiny wanted it, I failed... :p

(Thanks god that triggering is only up to 10 points...)

Level 16
Aaaand another review, this one's actually pretty positive.

Must've been mine :D

Lol, this is going to turn out like hero contest #4, where I get one vote.

I think Jazztastic's map is the best.

Thanks Mag, I thought my map was best too.

God actually strikes and punishes everyone for triggering as long as I'm a judge :D

Lol

Level 16
@Magtheridon96: Then by your logic, vote for guys that have the least chances of winning, like me! :D

Anyway, I test played all the maps in exception of Brambleclaw's, which i couldn't open, and I thought two of them stood out the most. Will write a few lines for each entry later if I find my hardworking bone. I seem to misplace it a lot these days.

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
If Brambleclaw's map can't be open via normal WE or NewGen that probably means that he is using WE Unlimited. He did the same thing in Hero contest and judges were confused a lot about that fact.

I'll check later if he did it actually. If so, he gets -5 points (or even more) for using buggy and old editor which additionaly contains custom functions that can not be used without WEU.
Personaly, if i'd be a host, every entry done in WEU = instant disqualification.

Level 17
Spinnaker :L I use JAssnewgen pack. Sorry but what person uses normal WE . Jassnewgenpack 100x better than WE thats about it. Care to argue go complain at the jassnewgenpack thread in wc3campaigns.net Not much i can do about it T_T. Normal WE for me just kinda plops. It has huge lag on creating units and trigger functions are limited since im Guier i need to use jassnewgenpack so that i can get nearly as much functionallity in certain areas as jasser :L

But yeh sorry about that :L

Gonna go through em xP

Exorzist kinda dull 1 hitting creeps at start then 4 hitting creeps and spamming heal while skipping parts of the path . :L Just not my cup of tea. Maybe make it a bit more defined

Mags Defense map: Too easy i just got ice and that was it later saved up for Chaos and tried to save for anti air :L . Posion tower is a bit obscelete after like the 5 th upgrade still only has 120 dmg. Kinda a waste and fire is useless and splash doesnt help when they line it only would if Ice had a freezing effect and caused them to cluster

You really need to make this Td map unique. Apart from the tiny file size it just reminds me of the same thing as green td. Just get 1 tower up like mad :L. Maybe if towers had abillities or could be combined. I dunno

minefield: Description has a minor spelling error "Defefse* Otherwise unique and fun gameplay with multiple people. But exessive play i believe should get boring. :L more and more additions would make it tons more fun or other modes/events.

Also Whats up with the Command center selection abillity. I cant cast it . as i need a target :L

Magic the gathering: Lots of promise especially like the idea of abillities. BUT WHEres THE HEROS T_T to my dissapoint i find its more of a td sort of idea. I think its still good but you need to reduce tower range. Killing creeps before they even get half way down the track with towers spammed near my monlith is a bit overpowered :L\

Never the less it was fun and enojoyable im looking forward to it completed

Defense map: Unplayable :L

Eliminate the terrorist: didnt really understand the game or the fact there was no abil to place bombs just mass teleports :L

Tidal defense: SEemed fun sad about being 1 player only. Bugs/faults: YOur defending your hero yet there is no win/loose conditions. Fire self harm by walking to the edge of water and moving away again :L

Dondustin: Quite a fun game but some tiny issues. I.E Dont use 2 Timers just put them into a Leader board which could also be used to record kills or something then update that looks alot neater. Or into a multiboard with all stats on :L . 2. It is very depressing having normal hero abils a few custom wouldnt go amiss :L

Figuredo00: VEry depressing no name :L We untitled map :L Standard abillties

Im confused why Searing arrow is a level 6 yet starfall is levelable from level 1. Also please put them in a 1 2 3 4 order instead of having 1 2 4 5

Quite a fun map like the idea of being able to buy units as well to help. Find some of them with mana and 0 abils pointless. healing plot shouild be seperate to main base. The fact i can just surround it with units and it auto heals them is pointless. Starfall is op clearing waves in 3 seconds at level 2 :L 60dps- Bounty is too hig had a 2nd gen Huntress with like 1.1k hp on wave 5 :L needs alot of balancing and some addition but looks promising

Last edited:
Level 5
Ok, i have tested the maps so far except the blambleclaw.

DonDustin: it was really nice playing your map, and i'm looking forward to see it finished, however, i found the tanker hero very unbalanced compared to the others. I couldn't do muCH with him . For such a short period of time to make it, i give you 4/5

JAZZTASTIC : well your map is one of the most unique here. nothing to complain about it, except that sometimes i lose health a little bit far from the water. 4/5

DeathChef : i will not complain about the gameplay, considering that is multiplayer :D
so far everything looks good. The terrrain has some problems, the bridge it's ugly, and the corners of the city too, especially the useless gate in the top of the map. You created a really huge and detailed map in a small time, good job ^^ 3/5

Aeroblyctos : Another very unique gameplay here. The size of the map is really short (no problem with that) but i think the terrain could use some work, for now it's just a empty block covered with blight. The spells are great, the only problem is the enemies. They fled to the corners when i attacked some of them. And the level 1 was impossible to beat, i was surrendered by lots of footmen and riflemen :D 3/5

Magtheridon96: Nothing special here, looks like a lot of tower defenses that i have encounter this year. I didn't find any bug in your map, the only thing that bother me is the fact that the poison tower is completely useless , and upgrade them is a waste of gold, also, they can't even hit air units. 3/5

Fan: i tested your map, the terrain is great, the concept too, protect the little girl, you control the hero who looks like Van Hellsing etc... The only problem is that the gameplay is increadible boring and reptitive. i was killing the stupid demons, when i realise the size of the map, i gave up. Do something with the gameplay, your map has potencial. 3/5

bowser499 : your map has a nice terrain, and a interesting gameplay , i couldn't play it properly because is multiplayer, but i liked the concept (the same for Deathchief) sorry , but i can't give you any addicional advice or a better score, since i didn't see the whole game . 3/5

Wraithling: interesting concept, nice execution, just the terrain could use some work. unfortunately , your map is not finished (like mine) but the tutorial was really fun. 4/5

as for my map, i didn't have enought time to create all the features that i intended, and for now its a little bit unbalanced, so i think 3/5 its enought, nothing incredible, but not bad at all.

My vote goes to DonDustin, but JAZZTASTIC and Wraithling has some precious jewels in their hands too.

and don't be angry with my reviews, it's just my personal opinion :ogre_datass:

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
Spinnaker :L I use JAssnewgen pack. Sorry but what person uses normal WE . Jassnewgenpack 100x better than WE thats about it. Care to argue go complain at the jassnewgenpack thread in wc3campaigns.net Not much i can do about it T_T. Normal WE for me just kinda plops. It has huge lag on creating units and trigger functions are limited since im Guier i need to use jassnewgenpack so that i can get nearly as much functionallity in certain areas as jasser :L
You want to take additional -points for making me foolish? You are using WE UNILITIED not NewGen editor. I'm opening every map with NG usage since I'm coder and I know the potential of NG.
But Unlimited editor is outdated made in 2006 IIRC and cotnains much stuff that isn't working for either normal WE and NG itself. So it fucks up every user except the ones who use our outdated program. And as I said ealier, Hive does not exept any spell/system that comes from WEU.

If you are using NewGen such issue would never take place. Have you read the judges opinion in Hero Contest? They were pointing out that fact too.

Status
Not open for further replies.