• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Techtree Contest #7 ~ Super Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

techtree.png
contest.png
number.png
7.png

Superman01.jpg

Super Unit

The contestants must create a race centred around a "Super Unit", which can have unique functionalities, or just be super powerful (of course not forgetting balance), etc. The unit can be a hero, unit or building, it is up to you.
Paired teams are allowed, but are optional.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of race in action.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that its yours.
  • Your final submission must be bug free enough to test and play.
  • The features that may be edited are:
    • Gameplay constants
    • Game interface
    • Object editor
    • Trigger editor
    • Sound editor
  • The map's terrain may not be edited. The current four melee races may not be edited; copy and paste the default units you are about to edit.
  • Participants must download the (to be provided) template map, edit it and then resubmit it as their entry.
  • Your submission may not be started before the official launch of the contest.
  • The final submission must bear the contest's number and type, along with your nickname, e.g. Techtree Contest 7 - [Nickname]

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

None yet! If you are interested in judging, please contact me.

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Gameplay
How fun the gameplay is; does the race itself offer various features to experiment with?/15

Balance
How easily can the race stand against the default races? Is it particularly easy to wipe out or too hard to confront?/10

The Legion
Are the roles of the warriors shared in a flat manner, are they getting too repetitive or each of them plays a unique and significant role in the battlegrounds?/10

Originality
How creative is the idea of your special "Super Unit". Does it have an interesting and fun concept and is the whole race centred around it?/10

Appearance
How does the final output look? Did it achieve to surpass the common appearance that the contestant had to suffer?/10
  • 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on "to be defined" and conclude on "to be defined"
    GMT

Map File

Last edited:
Level 35
alsoooo

judging for the gameplay section may need to be specified to cater for how well the techtree suits the melee game

too often that factor gets disregarded, and i can't help but think it's a little unfair to those who try and stay true to the melee game and then get downgraded because the idea is 'unoriginal', simply because it follows the rule of having workers harvesting for you and the like

and yes, people have proven to be that stupid before

not a good idea to get started yet, other than in concept ;)

as is the rules, the contest has yet to actually... 'begin'

and the map file is going to be changed, so don't worry :3

also, i think it's a rule that we can't change the terrain for our submissions

Well ill use the terrain i was making for another version of my map =D

Level 18
I'm in. Also who else will join??

If this contest has any hope of been optionally paired we need to know how many participants we will have....

Edit: Vengeancekael, it's not explicit in the rules so I will ask just to be sure. Can the Super Unit be a building or something like it and/or not been completely owned by the player??? I have a pretty sick idea with anarchianbedlam ODIN castle model.....

Level 9
I don't think is good sportsmanship to use old half-baked creations for it...

Anyway, I plan to contest, but I don't have any ideas yet...

TIME TO HIT THE MODELS SECTION! (that always makes my head go wild)

EDIT:
SCREW THIS! I HAVE AN IDEA!

Time to revive my old "elemental army" but going a new direction.
No longer do you "splice" elements into other elements to improve upon other units, now you COMBINE the elements to create brand new units.

And when you combine all four of them, that's when the fun begins.

Edit: Vengeancekael, it's not explicit in the rules so I will ask just to be sure. Can the Super Unit be a building or something like it and/or not been completely owned by the player??? I have a pretty sick idea with anarchianbedlam ODIN castle model.....
Please elaborate: Is the building going to be controlled by neutral passive and thus be like shops and fountains?
As long as the specific can only build it and use it, then yes, it may be a building.

too bad . . . . .
i think i can't go D:
can i do it from my #6 submission?
i'll remake it to fit this Super Unit stuff . . . .
The judges would probably give you almost 0 points for originality though.

Also GhostThruster, sure why not, as long as you do it seriously.

Map File updated: (8) Twilight Ruins.
I thought we should pick something a bit different than the previous one and this one looks very fresh.
If you guys have any better suggestions, let me know.

Level 9
ooh i've seen that idea before boomwolf, i'd like to see your style with it :3

perhaps it could inspire my own elemental army for my mod a little further :3

Well, from my previous work on "elemental" theme, that did not get done (and got fully erased in a format unfortunately) I pretty much covered the basic 4 elements and 4 of the "tier 2" elements (fire+earth=infernal, fire+air=fire dragon thingy, water+earth=sludge thingy, water+air=mist cloud thingy) the other 2 were more half baked (fire+water=steam? air+earth=dust?)

However the 4 tier 3 elements and the single tier 4 element are another story, I dont have ideas for them YET. and I'm not even sure they are duable.

Level 18
Please elaborate: Is the building going to be controlled by neutral passive and thus be like shops and fountains?
My idea is a building that a certain point of the game it morphs to a unit. It will start as a neutral building and with some coding even original races will be able to interact with it, but the custom race will have much many more abilities to interact with it, and even gain temporal control over it.

Level 18
@Astaroth Zion: I don't think it would be allowed, because it is not really part of your techtree, but you're really editing the map/gameplay as a whole by adding new neutral buildings. In other words, I believe you can only add things that apply to and work within your techtree.
:ogre_icwydt: , your right. I will continue to develop my concept.

I just don't want that the super only represent an advantage to you, in some way it must be a direct risky to use it. (beside the balance issue, I mean directly on the mechanic of the unit)

If I were to be a judge, and Astaroth decided to include a powerful neutral unit that can be captured, I would mark him down in gameplay (and quite possibly balance) coz:
-if the building can't be built by his race's workers, it's not part of his techtree technically
-if the building is built by his race's workers, but can't be controlled by its owner, it's technically not part of the race anymore, and because of this his race is not centered on the super unit anymore (and the theme states to create a race centred around a "Super Unit")
-if it is some kind of dice roll system to decide who gains control of the building, I would mark down gameplay because this chance system is detrimental to skilled gameplay

Last edited:
Level 35
@Vengeancekael: here's your stoopid map linkies

@MetalKing1417: you don't seem to quite understand the concept of the super unit

the idea isn't to necessarily make the super unit just a single unit that you can only get one of that is very powerful, but rather create a unit that can influence your race's game mechanics quite heavily

many examples have been provided for the theme already :3

Level 4
@MetalKing1417: you don't seem to quite understand the concept of the super unit

the idea isn't to necessarily make the super unit just a single unit that you can only get one of that is very powerful, but rather create a unit that can influence your race's game mechanics quite heavily

many examples have been provided for the theme already :3

Eh, wat? I was just thinking that if your unit is of sufficient importance to your race (such as it being your race's builder or what ever), it might be a good idea to give players the ability to locate it on the fly in case the player somehow loses track of it.

Level 9
Well, I think we can allow it as long only one of the two is the actual competitor, and the other serves no purpose (other then confuse people who look at your WIP to see what you make) and is removed at the final submission, no?

You can only submit one race to judging. And you must provide WIPs and screenshots of that race. You can make 100000000 races, but only one can be your final submission in this contest.

@astaroth:
Your techtree must revolve around the super unit. I find that would be hard if your race can't even control the unit.

Level 35
so what races are people thinking of doing atm? and what concepts do we have in mind?

atm all my ideas are revolved around implementing oddities in the techtree structure itself and how the unit roles are very different from that of any other race.

alsoo any particular reason for a wait till next Friday/Saturday? :V

Status
Not open for further replies.