• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #6 ~ The Poll

Which race did you enjoy the most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

techtree.png
contest.png
number.png
6.png

poll.png

160036-albums4747-picture56605.png

160036-albums4747-picture56606.png

Contestant's aim was to create a unique race, without importing anything. The only imports allowed were dummy.mdx and a hero glow (can be found at our Models section).

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Gameplay
How fun the gameplay is; does the race itself offer various features to experiment with?/15

Balance
How easily can the race stand against the default races? Is it particularly easy to wipe out or too hard to confront?/10

The Legion
Are the roles of the warriors shared in a flat manner, are they getting too repetitive or each of them plays a unique and significant role in the battlegrounds?/10

Originality
Considering that there are no imports available, how creative is the race from every aspect, technical & conceptual?/10

Appearance
How does the final output look? Did it achieve to surpass the common appearance that the contestant had to suffer?/10
  • 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of this poll.

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon
disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs.

Contest

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Everytime I look, the number is increasing, so this is definitely a... hum... let me quote ToastWolf :D
[17-54-42] GhostWolf: That's an impressive amount of proxies that work
[17-54-48] Vladadamm: Rui, hmm, and at how many people you think the server will be down ?
[17-54-58] GhostWolf: /want their list
[17-55-10] MasterHaosis: GhostWolf, you think that they are uses proxies for that?
[17-55-36] GhostWolf: MasterHaosis, how else would you get hundreds of connections from different IPs?
[17-56-01] GhostWolf: Either one guy using a big proxy list, or a DDoS network
[17-56-11] MasterHaosis: maybe there are hunreads of different people
[17-56-11] GhostWolf: And this hardly looks like a DDoS

Level 34
Voted for Wazzzzzzzzzz
I like idea of Necromancer's race, although I dislike very low mount of buildings that can be created.
But I like the most ideas of creatures and researches. There are many ideas which can be used, such as gold/lumber harvesting system with ghosts. I like this idea, ghosts which use nightelf wisp harvest system. Also Skeleton orcs for warriors are nice, Akama for hero with new/old redesigned abilities looks awesome. That ghost Ship serves well too. I like idea of training possessed night elves (which I will ,,borrow" idea for corrupted night elves), a human possessed (which is edited medivh), possessed orc.
Bae defeces are weak, they should be stronger, and some tooltips to be fixed.

Level 9
Well so far I played 2 maps: WerePhoenix's and Wazzz

I liked both maps really but lets start with that i didnt like
On wazz map the necromancer race was really original and I really loved how you dont have a town hall but a unit, I really liked how you have to summon units and everything it was pretty fun to play. Sometimes i got lost on what should i do, like for example to advance the town hall or i mean the unit hall (?) I got lost there cuz it asked me for 140 mana and i had 100 and i didnt know what to do, i guess im just dumb. I really liked the way you explained the description of most units and shit hahaha but its a contests u shouldnt of have done that :p

On WerePhoenix's map i really enjoyed it, more than Wazzz's (no offense bro) I just liked the whole concept of a dragon race more than necromancer race, i loved how you have all kind of dragons but i did not like how you have enslaved orcs as workers, it does not make sense to me at all, maybe have little lizards workers or something? idk but overall the map was good, some minor errors such as the dragonspawns movement speed and its color thats ugly hahaha.

I dont want to cast out my vote yet I am just givin away some feedback after playin them maps, i know my vote aint worth shit but i just wanna give feedback :D

Level 14
Please stop whining :)
You participated this contest, and wazz did it better than all of us (according to the poll's current state).

Although i think some change may be good for the techtree contest. Like you have to make a well balanced early game race, or make techtrees based on a quote (example: "The Alliance has failed my people." - Where you obviously have to make a little story for your race)
And it would be also good, if the contest map we have to dl contained some basic systems (like custom race choosing), and if there was a map with all the races in it after the contest -it would make the voters life easier, and everything is more fun, if we can match the races.
Also it doesn't have to be a melee techtree, maybe if there is some custom game (base defense, tag game, or some not melee like strategy) we can still do awesome techtrees.
(These ideas are hard to make, but they would make the experience better... )

Level 16
W00t.. poll's open. I haven't played any of the races yet, but I plan to... sometime that is :D And being a past contestant myself I agree with Kari0003 that contestants really appreciate feedback more than votes, so here's hoping I will find the motivation to write a line or two about each contest entry.

@ GT: Relax a bit brother. You've got two votes meaning at least two people think your race is the best. I understand your frustration with all the limitations that come with this techtree edition, and I think even Pharaoh_ himself hated the 'no imports' rule. But during the pre-contest discussion, the majority wanted to try this rule so perhaps you could also join in and give your two cents during the discussion for the next contest? I'm sure many would like to hear your list of what you think could be improved ;/

@ kari0003: I like your ideas, especially the one about adding some default race-picking systems to the template map. But I still think we should keep this techtree melee-oriented. There are other contests for other kinds of map.

@ WerePhoenix: Feel free to post whatever kind of feedback you like. You might be interested to refer to Techtree Contest #4 where many people wrote long ass reviews :O

Level 18
W00t.. poll's open. I haven't played any of the races yet, but I plan to... sometime that is :D And being a past contestant myself I agree with Kari0003 that contestants really appreciate feedback more than votes.
Absolutely true, you have way much experience in map making I would appreciate if you can guide me on the trigger making and unit handle (Couse I use extensively the custom values, and that is not pro). And of course I would like your general opinion about my entry.

Level 9
Well today I played Xiliger's Ent race and Astaroth Zion's Blood Elf Alliance which I didnt quite understand why is named Blood Elf since most units arent blood elves :p

Astaroth Zion map was very well done meaning its techtree of course, I loved how everytime you create a building it has a little tower and a house in it, very clever and creative i'll have to say, when i first started the map i was like wtf is this but once i understood the concept it was pretty fun, I didnt find any downs at all which is good, maybe a down would be that is too complex? maybe not haha proops for Astaroth Zion's techtree, its awesome oh and the name doesnt fit.

Xiliger's techtree was great too, I loved how you upgrade your workers into trees and the lumber gathering system was kinda hard to keep track of it but it works really good. The heroes were pretty decent too, very creative spells and thheir concepts of beign "spirits". What I did not like was that the workers had no shadow, that made it look ugly but its just a little detail you know, overall the techtree was awesome.

I will make sure I give feedback on every techtree before the countdown :B

Level 18
Astaroth Zion map was very well done meaning its techtree of course, I loved how every time you create a building it has a little tower and a house in it, very clever and creative i'll have to say, when i first started the map i was like wtf is this but once i understood the concept it was pretty fun, I didn't find any downs at all which is good, maybe a down would be that is too complex? maybe not haha proops for Astaroth Zion's techtree, its awesome oh and the name doesn't fit.
Thanks DSanhueza for your Feedback, I put almost all my time in doing the Experience and building systems, and some ideas got severely cut down from my original plan. Including name that was only for my WIP, but I didn't change it for the submission so it´s really bad and out of place.

Also I put special attention on heroes mechanics, and worked hard on the Steam Tank hero and the Blood Knight. (Although the recommended hero to play is the Blood Elf Ambassador XD for its aura.)
What do you think about the experience system, does it worked 4 your? Some said It was imbalanced for been overpowered other for been underpowered hehehe. I think that if you manage to train your units and survive with most of them the game you should be rewarded with stronger ones, instead of just buying the most powerful ones at once and turn the battle into a production cap fight.

Level 35
a review of wazzz's race

well wazzz quite frankly i love your elephant race idea in concept, but it could have been executed a little better

the idea of theming the elephant race around teleportation was intriguing, but i don't understand how this works as these elephants are clearly african, and not indian

it is only that you are a sexy man that i will vote for you in this contest, but no more if you continue to use the wrong species for things in future

okay thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.