• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Discussion] Would you be interested in working in a community project?

Would you be interested in working on the game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Well since you guys are talking about a Mario-like game, I have always been thinking of a 3D MMO Platformer. Now I know its hard to make one, but ill explain my idea:

The game itself with a socializing hub made to link many worlds together through a lobby. Every server has a lobby which is the starting point of every game session. Lobbies link to different worlds which consists of a few levels and a boss. Bosses and the creatures in the levels gives player loot, which can be used to make player created levels and expansion packs and share them through the lobby. Every player has their own domain/world which showcases their playable levels accessed through the Lobby.

The game can be Co-op, maybe to use boosts and jumps to reach higher heights and step on dual levers and stuff to unlock new loot. Some loot are purely cosmetic, some for level design, and some are used for scaling levels, example, you get a Pogo Stick, that means you can jump higher, etc. There could be a universal resource in order to unlock new items and themes for your levels and expansion packs.

The player created aspect of the game makes it simple and self-expanding and allows new worlds and gameplay types to be implemented. Also, it would seem endless to some and have no end-game. You can run around in a land like Mario 64, collect mushrooms and all that stuff. Hell, you could even incorporate mini games like Racing (Mario Kart), Sports (Mario Sports Mix, etc.) and other kinds of mini games with little to no combat. The game itself is based on the Social aspect of most games with a small emphasis on the action part. One game to link them all.

Level 19
Let's not forget, post your concepts on the other thread.

Sorry, just posted it in here for a little bit more publicity and feedback.

I'll post it as well in the other thread when I can completely summarize my thoughts on the idea. Thats just a basic layout of it.

Since you guys talk about 3D problems, why not use 2D? I mean Spine is a 2D Animation tool that looks pretty cool.

Sorry, just posted it in here for a little bit more publicity and feedback.

I'll post it as well in the other thread when I can completely summarize my thoughts on the idea. Thats just a basic layout of it.

Since you guys talk about 3D problems, why not use 2D? I mean Spine is a 2D Animation tool that looks pretty cool.

That's a fine reason to post it here, that's what I said you should do anyway.

I support Unity a lot due to the fact that experience in it contributes both in 2D and 3D projects.

(And yeah, I applied at a company that is interested in making games in Android and iOS using Unity3D).

Level 19
I like your idea to base the game on our beloved site, but if that's what we go for, it should be refined a lot :)
First of all, it is our game, so it should have as much distance to other game universes as possible. Adding Blood Elves in the game is like adding Warcraft to the game title, so that's a no-go. Let's keep it as unique as possible :)

I think I have a good idea coming up, but I'd like to make some concept art for it before I share it :)

Level 20
I like your idea to base the game on our beloved site, but if that's what we go for, it should be refined a lot :)
First of all, it is our game, so it should have as much distance to other game universes as possible. Adding Blood Elves in the game is like adding Warcraft to the game title, so that's a no-go. Let's keep it as unique as possible :)

I think I have a good idea coming up, but I'd like to make some concept art for it before I share it :)

Hmmm... you're right. I'll try to make mine as unique as possible :thumbs_up:

Level 28
I made a 2d animation for the project. I'm gonna make more stuff soon. Can everybody please make what he can make? And after we have some ground to step on, we'll be able to start. At least I think so. Cuz, only figuring out the game doesn't help us. Everyone make what he thinks would be cool for the game so that we can have something... then we can start.. I believe :\

I really think that we should make something.. I mean, even if we have a good idea on how to choose the main idea of the game, it won't work .. I believe.

Level 28
Urgh, yes, but... we've been waiting for 4 months :(

Those Hivers... DONT BE SHY GUYS! SAY IT NOW xD please.

Dimensions: 3D

Game Style: RPG

Game Description: Single Player, or Multiplayer. Takes place in the Hive's universe/multiverse. At the start of the game, the player chooses from either the default set of heroes (already with skills and such) or start from the lowest rank (For example, a peasant), or make his/her own unique character in-game through a variety of options like classes, background stories, alignments, age, gender, race, expertise, etc. After which, whilst taking on every day life (going to Inns, participating in Contests, helping other players) and getting stronger (taking quests, training your stats, battling creeps), the main antagonist which will be called 'The Hacker' will try and disrupt the order and peacefulness of the world. This will also have different modes like 'Peace Mode' and 'Massacre Mode', the player may choose from Normal Difficulty or Hard Difficulty. (*Everything in these parenthesis are what I think should be in the game* Alignments may be Authentic Good/ Authentic Evil, Negative Good/Evil, Positive Good/Evil, Neutral, Impersonating Good/Evil/Neutral *based on these alignments, there may be sub-alignments like; well, may not be actual sub-alignments... but more of an add-on characteristic* {Achiever, Born-Winner, Valuable to the Community, a Beacon of Light, Extremely Valuable to the Community, etc.}; and fun Classes like the Supreme Judge of Life & Death Contests, Blacksmith of Spells, Guardian of the Hive, Keeper of the Archives of the Hive, etc.; and since this is based on the Hive Workshop, maybe win enough Tournaments and/or Contests in-game and the player's character will be given a special badge (in-game item) and will have a massive power-up!)

Reasons why this will be fun and worth the time: First of all, the player's imagination will be stretched/exercised, because of the many possible characters he/she will play the game with. Another reason is most quests, and possibly the storyline will depend on the character's alignment. Also, since the player is allowed to choose the character's age, some events (like tournaments and dungeons for example) will not be available to the character immediately. There will also be AI controlled characters in game; in relation to what I just said, the game modes like 'Peace Mode', will not allow you to attack other players or NPC's. While in Massacre Mode, you will be able to attack them. Also, being in 3D means that this will be a kickass game in default (like most 3D RPG's), and the different varying options and choices will make this game interesting every time!

This seems fine btw, maybe Ralle can be the main quest giver =) but it's still a bit lacking. Tell us more about your idea here :\

we need, main history, main characters and such. + will it have multiplayer or no? etc.

Level 5
I have a way cooler idea.

We can develop our own engine together.

This way, we can optimize it to our liking to cater to the games we will make.

I think, with all due respect, that developing an engine is a time-consuming and resource-demanding task and not something 'we' can pull off. It requires a lot of skilled and experienced coders to be done correctly.
In think we better start with a ready engine, like Unity3D or even UDK. Both are professionally made (but the latter is a bit hard to master, requires people with different skills)

Level 20
Urgh, yes, but... we've been waiting for 4 months :(

Those Hivers... DONT BE SHY GUYS! SAY IT NOW xD please.

This seems fine btw, maybe Ralle can be the main quest giver =) but it's still a bit lacking. Tell us more about your idea here :\

we need, main history, main characters and such. + will it have multiplayer or no? etc.

Okay.

EDIT:

Done.

Last edited:
Level 21
I think, with all due respect, that developing an engine is a time-consuming and resource-demanding task and not something 'we' can pull off. It requires a lot of skilled and experienced coders to be done correctly.
In think we better start with a ready engine, like Unity3D or even UDK. Both are professionally made (but the latter is a bit hard to master, requires people with different skills)

Not necessarily. If you wanna make a blockbuster game, then yes.

I think, with all due respect, that developing an engine is a time-consuming and resource-demanding task and not something 'we' can pull off.

I made one single-handedly. This was a WIP screenshot I took 2 months ago for the basic tilemap/pathmap editor:

379185_10151479982266844_823705920_n.jpg

It's waaaaaay cooler and better today though. I also segregated parts of it. :p

With 2-3 more C++ programmers, we could make a pretty nice 2D Engine with an even cooler editor and our own interpreted language.

Not creating another boring generic RPG or shooter or mario clone with awesome art direction but nothing else

That's not what I'm making. This is strictly a level editor that can be used to make any kind of side-scroller.
I used Mario as a sprite and that old Yoshi tileset because I had no art at the time :p

Mag, you should begin writing an interpreted scripting language.

I'm working on an interpreted language compiled to byte code. It's going to be interpreted by a state machine-like model I'm in the middle of designing.
N bits are required for each instruction where N is in the set {8, 16, 32} <- for best performance
The file consists of a function table that will be read from only once before execution of the actual game begins. The rest of it is just a bigass instruction array.
This interpreted language is executed on one thread, so I can use a stack of buffers with reserved space for data when I'm simulating a function call stack. A function call is basically this:

C++:
// state machine is executing code

// we hit a function call
callStack++;

/* use array to lookup byte position of first instruction for the function.
   go to that position in the file. (The file would have been read into a 
   buffer in memory, so it's nothing more than a byte array at this point) */

// state machine continues to execute code until End is reached

callStack--;

// continues executing code and the data it was using before going to the function call just called above is conserved.

// using callStack as an index for an array, I can manage last execution position in the file with an array so that upon 
// finishing the current function execution, I can just use the last position without having to modify anything because 
// I would always be referencing currentPosition[callStack].

Operators are like functions too
Calls have no overhead, so this is fine.

Level 6
I made this as a mode suggestion for the Warlock standalone that is being developed by a Warlock fan from warlockbrawl.com(yaaay it's going to happen anyways!! :D)
But he felt it was a bit too different from the normal Warlock gameplay and i can't say i disagree with that either, it's pretty different :p

It's probably a little difficult to understand everything if you haven't played Warlock before, so i would highly recommend you try it out http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/warlock-099c-92687/
And to see why you should try it
[YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wtGvaujDzgc[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TA_RyvFEY0M[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ajlwHB-Sxm8[/YOUTUBE]PS: The spells aren't really that sparkly, thats just a special effect added on some of the videos^^

Okay so hopefully you now know a little more what Warlock is all about and then maybe you understand more of
Think Dodgeball and a terrain like this:
faIAhEj.jpg

You have 2 even teams with 1 king on each team, who king is depends on mode.
Vote between Lives mode or Time mode
Vote for Pro mode or Normal mode
Vote for Shuffled teams or pick teams
Select amount of lives/time

Pro mode means your team picks king by vote somehow and everyone have ~30% less hp
Normal mode means a random player is chosen as king and everyone have 100% hp

To win the game you must take all the lives of ur opposing team or get more points than opposing team within a given time.
For each kill you get your team earn 1 life/point while ur opposing team lose 1 life(in lives mode)
Lava kills instantly, if someone manage to suicide their team will lose 1 point or 2 lives.
I was thinking maybe there should be a small curve at the edges to make it slightly harder to push someone out in lava(and possibly make it impossible to walk out in lava)
I also thought that to prevent ppl from going into hiding when they are getting low on hp that we could add a constant burn dmg and have all spells steal a small amount of HP so to stay alive and keep a high HP you will have to actively be fighting and hitting ppl to regain hp.

In addition to Fireball and Scourge you also have a random/chosen C-spell in ur arsenal from start(random in normal mode, chosen in pro?)
Other spells spawn randomly in the Spell Area as collectables/useables every 7-8s, they spawn as small symbols so you know which spell is which, but you will not know what lvl it is until you've left the spell area.
The spell lvl is mostly lvl 3-5, but can be down to lvl 1 and up to lvl 10?
You can maximum carry 3 extra spells at a time(from start in normal mode, in pro mode you start with 1 slot and gain 1 for each kill in the same life) and you can only carry 1 R-spell at a time.
The spells disappear in 30-15s, more rapidly when there are more spells present to prevent flood(also have a cap on max spells in game and stop spawning when it's reached).
You can only pick up 2-4 spells(depending on how many you can carry) within 30s, the idea is to make it so you can't just waste alot of spells, but you can still use 1 spell to block smth incoming from ur opponents Respawn Area and have a full inventory when you return to battle.

When someone is killed they get moved to the Respawn Area which is located behind ur opponents Spell Area, if you have any unused spells when you die you will lose them.
In the respawn area you only have 1 spell slot and you have to get a successfull hit(meaning you need to deal a certain amount of dmg depending on what spell it is ur using) to get back in the game again.
Random spells spawn every 15-20s in the respawn area and sometimes(very rarely, maybe like once every 40-60s or smth) a random R-spell is spawned.
Only the king can pick up the R-spells, the king can also carry 4 spells instead of 3, but only when he has left the respawn area either by using an R-spell or when he is put into play at end of game(when there is 5 lives/1 min left)

Scourge deal twice the dmg+kb when you are on enemy ground, but the only way to get back is by stealing one of their R-spells from their spell area, having saved an R-spell for the return or by getting 3 kills within 30s which will activate a hotkey you can click whenever you want to be respawned in ur own spell area and gain +35% of ur current hp.
The hotkey gets automatically activated if you touch allied ground, so using an R-spell to get back then is a real waste.
You can ofcourse not get to respawn area any other way than dying and there is no point in shooting at the ppl in respawn area other than to block their incomming spells.

Destructibles of random size and endurability appear randomly in the battle area/around midle.
They serve as a 1-3 hit shelter and last for everything from 10-30s depending on it's size, the bigger it is the longer it will last and the more hp it will have.
The frequency of when they spawn should be very random, everything from 30s between spawns to spawning 2 at a time.

For this mode to work there must ofcourse be a few spell changes:
All spells should have a tiny burn dmg after hit and have a small life steal.
Thrust, Phoenix, Windwalk and Induction should make you invulnerable to lava.
Relocate can be used 3 times in a row if you are quick enough(so it works as a variation of Multiport)
Magma could use some range and projectile speed boost.
Link should ofcourse be reworked as to only dragging ur opponent a short distance instead of all the way to you.
Entangle could have a shorter duration, but leave opponent pancaked or smth similar after release.

Ofcourse there would be balance issues, but it'd be fun to balance spells in this mode since they could be very different from their original ;P

I'm not sure how to write it any shorter without missing important details, let me know what you think and if you have some ideas spinning around i would love to hear them! :D

Btw here is an optional terrain, i think i like this version better than the original :p
lPuNt3I.jpg

I also made this optional terrain incase we descide to remove the thin red line ;)
L2CetMk.jpg

I've practically just c/p from the suggestion i made when i thought it was just going to be a mode so it might seem very warlockbased, but it doesn't have to be ;)
I'm open for all types of suggestions, i've even fiddled with the idea of removing the thin red lava line in middle and just make it impossible to access eachothers spell area, it might work just as well that way and then there'd be more close combat fighting aka higher instensity and less restrictions regarding spells ;)

Edit:
Incase ur interested in playing Warlock online you have a good chance of getting a good game on RGC which you can download here: http://www.rankedgaming.com/download.html
And see how to install here:
http://www.rankedgaming.com/client.html

Then when you are in lobby type "/j (EU) warlock" and it will bring you to a channel with ppl who only play warlock games, there you can play against ur friends or with/against the pros who play there :p
Just ask someone to host a game for you, i'm sure they will be happy to help you out :)

Level 28
K. 2d or 3d? CUZ I WANNA DO SOMETHING. Finally. xD

I'll try and make some warlock hero concepts... how many types of different heroes actually? 3? 10? Do all have to be warlocks or can some be mages/necromancers/etc.?

Edit: Here's a.. hmm.. ok, I suck at making concepts so instead I just drew a picture :\ it should be something like a ghost cloaked warlock with a skull... uuh.. yeah.

209078-albums6010-picture67294.png

There can also be the basic cloaked hooded figure warlock with no face, just blackness. It's rather cool :\

Edit 2:

Warlock%202.jpg

The basic dark magician .. hmm.

Edit 3:

And there's a ... summon or a character to play with, I'm not sure.. it looks more like a summon. A ghost summon:

209078-albums6010-picture67377.png

(it should have a "squarish" ethereal cloak)

Edit 4:

I made a scarecrow.. can't find much use in it though, it could be a summon that stays on one place and throws poison or... etc.??? or a main hero to play with? Whatever:

209078-albums6010-picture67452.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.