• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Discussion] Would you be interested in working in a community project?

Would you be interested in working on the game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Make the warlock suggestion into a real idea and post it on the other thread
Jolly_Jumper said:
I'm not sure how to write it any shorter without missing important details, let me know what you think and if you have some ideas spinning around i would love to hear them! :D

Sry, but idk how to, also it's not a finnished idea yet, i made it as a mode suggestion instead of a seperate game and i would like to hear what others think of it before i advance on the concept just to be dissapointed because noone really like the idea to begin with :p
If someone wanna suggest a shorter concept based on this idea pls do so! :)

Edit:
Btw i thought of another possible way of executing the idea if we descide to keep the red lava line in middle ;)
What if we just start with 2 randoms spells per player(so if the game was 10v10 they'd start with 20 random spells in each spell area) and whenever someone use a spell a new random spell will spawn in their opponents spell area meaning you should not waste spells!!^^
It would also seem even more like the actual dodgeball game :p

Last edited:
Level 30
K. 2d or 3d? CUZ I WANNA DO SOMETHING. Finally. xD

I'll try and make some warlock hero concepts... how many types of different heroes actually? 3? 10? Do all have to be warlocks or can some be mages/necromancers/etc.?

Edit: Here's a.. hmm.. ok, I suck at making concepts so instead I just drew a picture :\ it should be something like a ghost cloaked warlock with a skull... uuh.. yeah.

209078-albums6010-picture67294.png

There can also be the basic cloaked hooded figure warlock with no face, just blackness. It's rather cool :\

Edit 2:

Warlock%202.jpg

The basic dark magician .. hmm.

Edit 3:

And there's a ... summon or a character to play with, I'm not sure.. it looks more like a summon. A ghost summon:

209078-albums6010-picture67377.png

(it should have a "squarish" ethereal cloak)

Edit 4:

I made a scarecrow.. can't find much use in it though, it could be a summon that stays on one place and throws poison or... etc.??? or a main hero to play with? Whatever:

209078-albums6010-picture67452.png

Nice drawing skills you have and those are interesting concepts.:thumbs_up:

Level 19
Hey guys, I found a simple yet awesome tool for you guys to easily generate ideas based from simple game mechanics (since you should ALWAYS start making a game by thinking of its mechanics first). It gets 3 mechanics in random from a list of predefined mechanics to make a game idea.

Maybe you guys could create some ideas for this community project of yours.

Linky: http://inventwithpython.com/blog/20...f-game-mechanics-and-a-random-mechanic-mixer/

I don't know where to post it so I figured out this would be a good place.

Level 30
Hey guys, I found a simple yet awesome tool for you guys to easily generate ideas based from simple game mechanics (since you should ALWAYS start making a game by thinking of its mechanics first). It gets 3 mechanics in random from a list of predefined mechanics to make a game idea.

Maybe you guys could create some ideas for this community project of yours.

Linky: http://inventwithpython.com/blog/20...f-game-mechanics-and-a-random-mechanic-mixer/

I don't know where to post it so I figured out this would be a good place.

That's very useful, Drunken Jackal! Nice job, I can easily generate ideas for out game here... +REP for the link, Drunken_Jackal!:thumbs_up:

Let's vote on a development tool.

Here's a list of ones in order of how much I like them:

• C++
  • C#
  • Torque3D
  • Torque2D
  • Cry Engine
  • Unreal
  • Unity

Honestly, C++ and C# are the only languages I see fit for development.
C++ because it's close to metal and still awesome because of the STL, and C# because you can use XNA for Windows development (It even works for development on X-Box).

No Java please. That language is a world of singletons, managers and factories -> Bad design

You can suggest other languages of course, I'm just putting up a couple of common ones.

Level 28
I don't even know wtf those stuff are. I abstain from voting. Moose.

edit: Stath, I envy you. It's soooo coooool to play ME3 for the first time, actually all the MEs. Too bad your fun will be ruined in the end. ME1 is still the best -.-

Please skip Skyrim and Borderlands for now and post that poll xD!!

edit: AAA A! WAIT. I Know what Unity is. I vote for Unity -.- it's quite cool for 3d games. and .. simple as far as I know from some friends :\

Last edited:
Level 2
I agree with the C# idea :D
Also I can help with SQL and modeling the database.(If you choose to use it of course).
And instead of XNA, I think it could be better to code in Mono XNA, as Microsoft has dropped suport for XNA on Win 8. And it could be cross-plataform too.

Here's a link http://monogame.codeplex.com/

Level 20
The Unity editor is far more complex than WE, mate. It requires lots of scripting just to get the networking part right.

I remember my first time using Unity. It's freakin' complicated- more complicated than the WE. Comparing the two in terms of complexity is like comparing Jupiter to our moon.

Hehe those were the days.. =)

Level 28
hmm ok. VOTE! Everyone who is following this thread should vote xD it will help us choose and start the project at last :)

There are 2 main ideas, at least for me, because they seem like the easiest and are quite interesting:

- A warlock game - Small Arena, rounds, mages fight, spells + combinations for spells, etc.
- A hack and slash - 2D, collect coins, go kill cool mobs, has a little bit of story (could be a sidescroller, it seems more fitting)

Level 28
Really? You 5000% sure? Ok.

How many types of characters will there be - 12, 20? I want a variety, it's waaay cooler. Should it include Necromancers, Mages and such or only warlocks? Also, what is the land like? Dark and rough right? But, should there also be some Sunken Ruins type terrain? Will there be places where to hide from the spells like towers, barricades, etc. or plain land just like in Warlock? Is there level height (for the terrain), which will affect the spells?

Answer all my questions please -.-
We need to know the limits and what the game will look like, we need to think of the base, for example, the terrain. Depending on the terrain we can make different spells and characters... or will the terrain be just like different maps?

Edit, add: Wow, I just noticed this
Amargaard, avtoritet, BallisticTerrain, bethmachine, bhusta, bisnar13, Chaosy, Codric, cohadar, Daffa the Mage, DaggerBreath, darkceus, Donkey Zong, Dr Super Good, Drunken_Jackal, DwarfBoy, DZerpic, Ender, Foronisus, Freyleyes, Gen Bloodhorn, GhostThruster, gjpaixao13, gorillabull, grunt, Hadeis, HammerFist132, HerrStanev, I3obo, istvan921, IwillFap2u, Jackhamme, Jake Kessler, jrhetf4xb, juno, kari0003, Kirizaru, Lordkoon, Magtheridon96, Manuval, MasterTrainer, morbent, NehUen FireSong, NFWar, OculusGamer, owwweeennn, readytoeat, Rozll0rt, SeekAndDestroy, Statharas, stonneash, supertoinkz, SupremeGrandRuler, ThisPOT, Warlock_001, Witardo, WOWWARS, xorkatoss are for YES, and Adiktuz, Almia, Archange1, Astaroth Zion, Bourbon, CheckeredFlag, DeathChef, deepstrasz, Dogac, Doomlord, Dr.Killer, DSgamer, edo494, En_Tropy, Forsaken, Geries, GhostHunter123, Hell_Master, Ironside, JaBeN, Jolly_jumper, Kala, Lichkings slave, Marsal, MassiveMaster, MaTiJa97, Metalbear, MiniMage, Miss_Foxy, Moose23, nafre, Nromk, RiotZ, rover2341, rulerofiron99, Sin'dorei300, SniZupGun, syltman, Varle, wateverks, WhiteDeath, Xonok, Yayoi for MAYBE
- please come and comment!, I'm sure you have good ideas and can help the project with models, art, animations, music, sounds, terrain, whatever you can do +.-

Edit, add 2: Actually I think that most people aren't here to help because we have nothing to show them and they are unsure if this will get to anywhere. What we need is to make something. It doesn't matter what. Yet. We can use it in almost any sort of game.. for example, some terrain, some units, etc. We need ground to step on, less clouds.

Well, that's what I think.

Level 20
Sage, Tenebromancer (dark), Cyromancer (ice), Lumenomancer (light), Aeromancer (wind), Geomancer (Earth), Dynamancer (Energy/Lightning), Hydromancer (water)

Others:
Spellcrafter, Enchantress, Changeling/Shapeshifter, Invoker, Planeswalker, Sage, Pure Mage, Archmage and the Artificer (of Artifacts)

What do you think?

Level 28
I'd rather use these Spellcrafter, Enchantress, Changeling/Shapeshifter, Invoker, Planeswalker, Sage, Pure Mage, Archmage cuz the others are from one type and if we add someone like, Mage, for example, he just wouldn't fit with the others. Pure Mage and Archmage, lets just use Archmag. Better, use Changeling, Shapeshifter s more like a druid.

Level 20
I'd rather use these Spellcrafter, Enchantress, Changeling/Shapeshifter, Invoker, Planeswalker, Sage, Pure Mage, Archmage cuz the others are from one type and if we add someone like, Mage, for example, he just wouldn't fit with the others. Pure Mage and Archmage, lets just use Archmag. Better, use Changeling, Shapeshifter s more like a druid.

Cool, cool. =)

Level 6
I think we should either make more basic/undefined ideas for the poll so there aren't too many options, or ppl should be able to vote for several ideas.
morbent said:
How many types of characters will there be - 12, 20? I want a variety, it's waaay cooler. Should it include Necromancers, Mages and such or only warlocks? Also, what is the land like? Dark and rough right? But, should there also be some Sunken Ruins type terrain? Will there be places where to hide from the spells like towers, barricades, etc. or plain land just like in Warlock? Is there level height (for the terrain), which will affect the spells?
The heroes could be any magical being as far as i'm concerned, but choice of heroes should definitely come before you descide on what type of terrain, the hero races would certainly affect that descision!^^
If we go for the Warlockbased gameplay the variety would not be in the different heroes but in the spells and terrain, especially if we wanna make the heroes different from eachother, but still keep them balanced.
I would suggest just making 3-4 heroes for start and possibly add some more later, spells however there should be plenty of! ;)
The more spells the more difficult the balance, but i think thats gonna be fun though, if we get to the finer balance stage it means the project is a success imo :p
Balancing is an endless task which you can never really finnish from start, atleast not if you plan on adding to the game later which i hope we would be doing :)

Destructible barricades is pretty important to achieve variation both in terrains and gameplay, and there are plenty of those in warlock, the pillars ;)
We could have other types aswell though, like walls or objects with certain special effects like teleporting the spells that go through to a certain point, deal massive AoE dmg to surrounding heroes when it gets destroyed etc.

I don't think there should be level height difference though, that'd make for alot of extra problems i think, and possibly make it very inconsistent :p

I think the ideas we have should be narrowed down smth like this:
-RPG game with chars based on Hive members
-RTS game
-Hack'N'Slash mariostyle
-Warlockbased gameplay

With links to the more elaborate descriptions ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.