• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #6: The First Invasion ~ The Poll

Which hero do you find the most capable to defend the elven city?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

160036-albums4747-picture62464.png

160036-albums4747-picture62466.png

160036-albums4747-picture59728.png

The First Invasion

..."Sargeras gathered his vast Burning Legion and made his way towards the unsuspecting world of Azeroth. The Legion was composed of a million screaming demons, all ripped from the far corners of the universe, and the demons hungered for conquest. (...) Sargeras began his catastrophic invasion of Azeroth. The warrior-demons of the Burning Legion stormed into the world through the Well of Eternity and laid siege to the night elves' sleeping cities..."

Your city is under attack by the Burning Legion! Knowing the story of the Burning Legion and the abilities of its high grade commanders, create a hero that will help with the defenses of your city!

RED BARON
Firefighter William

160036-albums4747-picture63727.png

Options
| |
Luorax
Arrynok Frostglance, the Frost Herald

160036-albums4747-picture63715.png

Options
| |
juno
Flower Dryad, Diana Windwood

160036-albums4747-picture63711.png

Options
| |
Orcnet
Nature's Raiment, An'da Grovemane

160036-albums4747-picture63725.png

Options
| |
mckill2009
Frost Sorceress

160036-albums4747-picture63716.png

Options
| |
Mephestrial
The Shadow Warrior

160036-albums4747-picture63718.png

Options
| |
Meepo-
Ancient of Stone

160036-albums4747-picture63717.png

Options
| |
Jake Kessler
The Troll Deathspeaker

160036-albums4747-picture63710.png

Options
| |
AdityaHegde
The Purifier, Dath'Remar Sunstrider

160036-albums4747-picture63705.png

Options
| |
Chaosy
Doradin

160036-albums4747-picture63706.png

Options
| |
Adiktuz
Jack Frost, Guardian of Ice

160036-albums4747-picture63704.png

Options
| |
En_Tropy
Cyrisse Moongrove, Arcane Priestess

160036-albums4747-picture63708.png

Options
| |
Kyousuke Imadori
The Trapmaster, Fakker Plug

160036-albums4747-picture63714.png

Options
| |
Lordkoon
The Archbishop

160036-albums4747-picture63754.png

Options
| |
Christers
The Dwarven Engineers

160036-albums4747-picture63707.png

Options
| |
Kyrbi0
The Nightwalker

160036-albums4747-picture63713.png

Options
| |
Mr_Bean
Serengale, The Holy Paladin

160036-albums4747-picture63724.png

Options
| |
Xiliger
Incarnation of Elements

160036-albums4747-picture63729.png

Options
| |
Garfield1337
Feral Master, Fraxineus

160036-albums4747-picture63709.png

Options
| |
WerePhoenix
Wyronus, the Lieutenant of the Green Dragonflight

160036-albums4747-picture63728.png

Options
| |
Radamantus
Rovlen, Druid of the Ages

160036-albums4747-picture63726.png

Options
| |
Zenonoth
Deathwing, Aspect of Death

160036-albums4747-picture63730.png

Options
| |
-Kobas-
Priestess of the Moonlight

160036-albums4747-picture63712.png

Options
| |

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you disqualified, banned from future contests and neg-repped, depending on the severity of your case. This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you.

Additionally, voting for your self is not encouraged, because the vote will not be counted anyway.

Entries that are valid on the poll doesn't equal immunity; either cheating the poll or being evaluated by the judge that your entry is violating the rules of the contest or the site's in general, automatically puts your entry at risk.

Last edited:
I tried all of the entries and noticed that that a lot had ridiculously long tooltips. In a few maps, I died before I even had a chance to finish reading the tooltips. That heavily affected my vote. Another thing I looked for was entries were I didn't start out maxed out already. It can be hard to effectively judge the entries gameplay balance when even your normal attacks can easily take out a whole creep camp single-handedly. Other entries had an annoying habit of throwing the hardest to kill creeps at me first which usually ended in me dying before I even properly tested their abilities. In a few entries I couldn't use some abilities without aggro-ing half the map (slightly exaggerated). In the end I chose juno's hero because I had a proper testing enviroment, I started at level 1, the enemies progressively grew in difficultly making ability testing easy, and the tooltips were simple and straight-forward.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
^Hopefully my testing environment was alright... I just did a melee map (so regulation-size creep camps), but I included some codes for leveling your hero, remaking it, and placed some dummy enemies on the map. Meh.

@RedBaron: I realize some people are still voting and writing; that's totally cool. I just mean the 20 people who have already voted without saying much. :p

Level 16
^Hopefully my testing environment was alright... I just did a melee map (so regulation-size creep camps), but I included some codes for leveling your hero, remaking it, and placed some dummy enemies on the map. Meh.

That's exactly what I did too :) After all, the hero was supposed to be playable in melee environment, so I added him to all the altars. I also made a few test code for testing purposes, just in case, and noted them on the loading screen.

Level 35

Same Same, though changed creep to camp react status, made a lazy win condition and allowed for hero revive depending on money. Hero beginning at level one, with option to level up using xp books. Also able to walk around enemies, test him with items and in conjunction with other units. I compared him directly to normal melee units in order to ensure that he weren't overpowered. :wsmile: From what I have seen so far, many feature that principle, though some have also made a defense the base kind of thing. Many heroes however aren't balanced as melee heroes and are far more powerful, dunno how many have even considered that requirement.

Level 29
This is really challenging as there are too many entries, I already tested 5...Some of the entries cannot be saved as there are errors in the script...

The presentation of the poll is really cool, so credits to Pharaoh_ for being so hardworking on this, but pls guys if you're making a test map
can you just make it direct to the point, meaning the hero should be availale to use and there are default enemies to cast/test upon,
coz other test maps, the heroes needs to be trained...ofc it's just my opinion :D...

Level 35
meaning the hero should be availale to use and there are default enemies to cast/test upon,
coz other test maps, the heroes needs to be trained...ofc it's just my opinion :D...

You miss one point though - The hero should be balanced as a melee hero, as such the tester/judge need to be able to test it throughout the different levels for it. I have included means to easily get levels, spread out units of varying strength and added options for testing him in different scenarios. If I read you correct you just wanted some dummy units to test spells on and a maxed hero - which would kinda change the whole point about the hero.
Anyway I do agree with you that some have taken an unnecessary step, such as adding cinematic to the game or too long a wait before one is able to attack a unit. And even though such factors should in fact not influence the hero, it does have an impact anyway. :weekani: Also very happy to hear that your taking the time to test each map.

Level 35
Are you kidding?, even the default heroes are imbalanced...e.g. I can beat a Lv10 mountain king with my dreadlord coz of his infernal ability...
True :wgrin:, but still they should be at least equal to those more effective hero in the same area of expertise. Meaning for instance, if one of these custom hero could beat 3 standard heroes at the same time without qualms, then there is a problem :wwink:

Level 35
i liked the spells,especially those of mckill,radamantus,-kobas- and RED BARON.

Thanks, hearing that warms my heart - Given that I am not a spell type of person :wink: More of a modeler with rudiments of GUI knowledge. Should really start on JASS given how much C++ and other programming I have learned over the years, I figure it can't be that tough. :wgrin:

Level 14
yours and Archbisop, maybe you're using a different or new Jasshelper...

anyway, my testing is nearly finished, and I'ma give my vote with comments, some of
the entry did not follow the rules also...

The Archbishop does not open in regular world editor. I reinstalled windows and only copy-pasted the jngp from my laptop to my pc and then back to the laptop so I think i kind of screw it up a bit but works fine when opened wih jngp.

Level 29
Given it works perfectly if you just download and play it, I think the problem is not in the code. No, I'm not using a new JASSHelper, but pJASS, which as far as I know is not forbidden.
The problem is not using pJass, but in your test map code, you passed a nothing in a boolean filter that's the error so I disabled it...

Lordkoon said:
The Archbishop does not open in regular world editor. I reinstalled windows and only copy-pasted the jngp from my laptop to my pc and then back to the laptop so I think i kind of screw it up a bit but works fine when opened wih jngp.
I am not using normal WE, but jngp and it really cant be opened...
attachment.php

======================================

Anyway as for my vote, I like most of the entries but most of them are sad to say, boring, I didnt check the triggers coz I dont have time, so...

- Kyousuke, all the abilities are good except the ultimate, as it just powers the other 3 abilities.
- Garfield, falcon drop is awesome, originality is a big plus.
- Kobas, the beam and eclipse is awesome but the shadow walk is not, coz if the user is not careful he maybe trapped for 15 seconds in rocks/trees, etc...
- radamantus, abilities are awesome but didnt follow the rules that it should be 3 abilities (3 lvl each) and 1 ultimate (1 lvl)...
- xlinger, even if it has the common bladespin, I like this...

Some entries uses default WC3 abilities and just adds a simple twist which lacks originality, like avatar, entangle roots, holy bolt, storm bolt etc...so I preffer not to mention them...

I vote for xlinger, it should be Kyousuke but I dislike the passive ability...

Attachments

• er.jpg
    er.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 216
Level 35
Anyway as for my vote, I like most of the entries but most of them are sad to say, boring, I didnt check the triggers coz I dont have time, so...

Some entries uses default WC3 abilities and just adds a simple twist which lacks originality, like avatar, entangle roots, holy bolt, storm bolt etc...so I preffer not to mention them...

Nice to see some comments in regards to judgment. Should add that it seems most people judge a lot on the spells and little on everything else, which frankly also makes up a hero. Its not just a spell contest, but a hero contest. Balance, workings of the spells in unison, idea of the hero in relation to the contest theme and such also matters (but of course thats more for judges and those with the time for it, I just personally prefer to consider everything else also).

Ps. You are aware its a multi poll right? So you can vote for both xlinger and Kyousuke.

Level 15
Luorax, Kyousuke Imadori, Xiliger, Garfield1337, -Kobas- are who my votes go to. A special mention goes to juno as well.

I feel that this is the case. Yes, there are more factors than just the spells in their individual contexts, but they're so boring that I couldn't help but to reason out my votes based mainly on spells with appealing eyecandy. Originally I planned to review each entry according to the criteria that judges go by, but that quickly became tedious to do. I'd have to say the best individual spell would be a tie between Garfield1337's falcon pick-up one and Kyousuke Imadori's spring spell.

I didn't test the Arch Bishop by Lordkoon as I also receive the same trigger error opening the map.

Level 29
Should add that it seems most people judge a lot on the spells and little on everything else, which frankly also makes up a hero

Ps. You are aware its a multi poll right? So you can vote for both xlinger and Kyousuke.
The problem of everything else is that the heroes are all OK IMO since they are already preset, although there are some broken DISBTN but it's not a big deal for me, most of us here are after 'the spells' and 'triggers' (maybe Im wrong), how the hero is done, the lore and grammars for example are not on top of my list to check :csmile::csmile::csmile:

If I knew of multiple vote, then I would have done it, sadly, I didnt noticed that, besides, I really dont agree on multiple votes, I may have picked a top 5 but there's only 1 will emerge in my list...

Status
Not open for further replies.