• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zovc's CTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey guys, my friends and I picked up Warcraft III again for a LAN, and I decided to take a shot at making a Capture the flag map tailored to our style of play.

I was wondering if any of you had any particular suggestions as to features of a CTF map.

I certainly could use suggestions for classes and class abilities, the classes (and their respective abilities) that I have right now are:
(I will update this section of my post)

Format
Model: Link
Hero Type/Role
Starting Strength/Strength per level
Starting Agility/Agility per level
Starting Intelligence/Intelligence per level
Innate Abilities: Two abilities the unit automatically has.
Ability 1: Description
Ability 2: Description
Leveled abilities: Standard hero abilities 3 3-level abilities and 1 1-level ultimate.
Ability 1: Description
Ability 2: Description
Ability 3: Description
Ultimate: Description

Samurai
Model: Pandaren Wardancer by Norinrad
Strength Hero/Offensive Skirmisher
10/2
5/1
5/1.5
Innate Abilities:
Bushido: Drunken Brawler; 5% dodge, 5% x2 crit
Intensity: Mana Shield; 50% of damage taken goes to mana, 1 damage per mana.
Leveled abilities:
Splinters of Earth: Impale; Stats undecided.
Burning Soul: Bloodlust; I want this ability to be more concentrated, and harder to use, and I don't want it to be auto-casted. I may make it a self-only spell.
Ability 3: Description

Witch Hunter
Model: HeroTrollVoodooHunter by General Frank
Agility Hero/Caster-Killer
6/1.5
8/1.5
6/1.5
Innate Abilities:
True Sight: Blizzard ability, it's restricted to the Witch Hunter's daytime sight radius.
Mana Burn: Blizzard ability, I'll decide on the numbers when I have more heroes.
Leveled abilities:
Simplify: Purge; Pauses 2,3,4; Movement update frequency 5; lasts 5,10,15 seconds; 100,125,150 damage to summoned units (will be updated when I see how much life summoned units end up with.
Berserk: Blizzard Ability, Takes 50% extra damage; 20%,40%,60% attack speed; 10%,20%,30% move speed; 12-second ability 24-second cooldown.
Undecided:
Ultimate: Chain Lightning;

Feel free to suggest your own classes, keep in mind that they should fit a certain role in a CTF game.

Here are some concepts I have, but haven't incorporated, or couldn't:

Storm Druid/Feral Druid:
I was going to use both of the Night Elf druid units (Talon/Claw) and make heroes out of them, but I had some problems:
-No hero glow (This can be fixed, I know, I don't know how, however.)
-When using shapeshifting abilities based off of the original ones, levels are reset, and abilities cannot be changed. (I can elaborate if you would like, but not in this post.)

Tree Wizard:
I intended to make a 'tree wizard' (Using an uprooted Night Elf Ancient as the model) who's cornerstone ability would be that he could create Treants that could block off certain pathways. I intended for this to be the base defender class. I wouldn't actually call the class 'Tree Wizard', I just think it sounds funny.
-Again, ancients don't have hero glows.
Tree Wizard
Model: Blizzard's Ancient of Lore, I wish it had a spell animation and a corrupted form. (also corrupted treants)
Intelligence Hero/Base Defender
7/1
3/.5
10/3
Innate Abilities:
Thorned Bark: Spiked Carapace; generous armor boost, minor damage return
Animate Trees: Force of Nature; 2 treants
Leveled abilities:
Entangling Roots: Entangling Roots; 5,7,10 second hold, poor damage
Rejuvination: Rejuvination; 7-second spell, minor heal
Force of Nature: Engineering Upgrade; improves treants, entangling roots' damage, and rejuvination's heal

Anyways, my thoughts aren't very organized at the moment, feel free to make suggestions, comments, or anything of that nature.

Last edited:
Level 3
Wow, an int hero as a defender! Sounds interesting.

Why do you say that? An int hero seems to fit fine for me:

The Tree Wizard I presented is almost built around "Trapping" people, he is able to summon treants to block off pathways inside of his base, and he is able to use Entangling Roots on characters to hold them in place. I don't know if it's possible, but I was hoping for him to be able to summon an unlimited amount of treants at once, as long as he had enough trees. Trees would basically line the pathways of each base, but they would only respawn near the flag and near healing wells.

I also wanted to have the Tree Wizard be able to summon an Ancient Protector, not with the actual stats from Melee, but modified. The Ancient Protector would still be able to root and uproot himself, but he could only root himself on grass. I intend for most of the grass to be covered by trees, so you have to have summoned treants in an area to be able to root an ancient protector there.

I think I've reconsidered giving the Treant a variation of 'Engineering Upgrade'.
I'm going to leave that for another defender I have in mind, you might have heard me mention him in another post. I'd like for my classes to not seem synonymous, even if they have the same intended role.

Anyways, it's worth mentioning that I don't want kills to provide experience, that makes it far too easy to get ahead by choosing a more combat-oriented hero. I want unit kills to reward the player with gold, and to provide the killed unit (the one that died, that was killed) with experience). That might not make sense, but when you think about it, if I can kill you when I'm level one then I'll have little trouble killing you when I'm level two. I don't want kills to be the only way to get gold, however, I want for every sixty seconds, for example, for all players to get 100 gold. Also, there could be a gold bonus for grabbing the flag and holding it for so long.

Level 10
Fire Sage

Fire Sage
Model: Blood mage (maybe reskinned using the Burning Crusade skin)
Int Hero/Offensive Caster
STR 5/1
AGI 6/1.5
INT 9/2
Fire Bolt: Launches a fire bolt damaging an enemy for 10% of its total life. (Large cooldown)
Finger of Flames: Damages the enemy with 40 damage and gives ita burnt effect for 10 seconds. (small cooldown)
Leveled abilities: Standard hero abilities 3 3-level abilities and 1 1-level ultimate.
Ring of Flames (Flame strike): Creates a ring of flames to burn the enemy causing 60 damage per second for 10 seconds.
Flaming Fury (Cleaving Attack): Deals damage to nearby targets when hitting an enemy.
Flamestorm (Rain of Fire): Calls a mighty firestorm that damages any enemy hit for 100 damage over 4 seconds.
Hellcall (Inferno - Could used a reskinned inferno model to look red like coming from hell): Calls an Inferno to aid you in battle!

Level 36
Edit:
Anyways, it's worth mentioning that I don't want kills to provide experience

There shouldn't be any "experience" system anyways. There should be some other way to level up. Experience is lame.

I want to make a hero!!

Void Wraith (lol Void)
Model: Faceless One (wc3)
Int hero, offensive spellcaster, solo-based
Str 4/1
Agi 8/1.5
Int 8/2
Innates:
Mind Shock - Damages (based on int) and decreases movement/attack speed and silences. Short duration.
Absorption - Absorbs damaged tissue into mana, restoring mana whenever you take damage.
Leveled:
Black Hole - Darkens an area (maybe radius of 400 or 500) causing any units other than the Void Wraith who enter the area to be unable to see or attack and to be slowed by 10%/20%/30%. Good for running away.
Shadow Warp - A favorite spell of mine, created by me, what happens is the hero moves from one point to another at the speed of light (not like blink, stuff can get in the way), damaging all units in between the two points (damage based on agi) The shorter the warp, the more damage dealt.
Dark Channel - The Void Wraith channels for maybe 5 seconds (uninterruptable), restoring health. Only usable while in a Black Hole.
Mental Overload (ultimate) - Drives the target enemy unit (cannot be a hero, unless there are no creeps on your map) insane, causing it to take less damage and do more, and to attack everything around it, friendly or not. How insane they go is affected by your int.

Tactics:
Dark channel + black hole. Obvious.
Mind Shock + close-range short shadow warp. Maximum shadow warp damage and no chance to miss.
Getting nuked + absorption. When you take large amounts of damage, your mana will restore a lot, and you can then cast a spell like Black Hole, dark channel and then run away with near-full health, or you can easily use a combo like Mind Shock + shadow warp and kill your unwary attacker.

Disadvantages:
No easy way to restore health. Yes, there is dark channel, but that costs a lot of mana and since your only true way to kill someone is with spells, it's only good for escaping or desperate situations.
Low health. Pretty much self-explanatory, your strength is really low.

The hero may seem rigged. But damages of abilities can always be reduced.

This hero might be more like an AoS hero but I tried to add as much synergy as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.