1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Zephyr Contest #11 - My aura, Your aura

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Pharaoh_, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:

Dude did we just think of the same speed theme? Mine is ramping up speed that disappears on the first attack. ;_;

2. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hehe... great minds think alike :)

No reason why we can't both make it. I'd be interested in seeing your implementation, and how you solve the various issues.

I'll probably drop the damage functionality if I can't fix the remaining issues with it. For me the important part is the acceleration and higher than max top speed, damage is just an added bonus.

3. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm thinking if it's too simple of an aura. I have a better idea up my sleeve if so.

4. edo494

edo494

Resources:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I have one aura in mind, but it can be created so quickly that I think I will most likely violate
    You know, its hard to get WIP of something that takes few hours to create, especially if it is 1 single spell. However if I push myself to actually make the thing, I can still provide the JNGP-generated backups

5. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just post a screen of your code halfway through.

When I make a spell/system, I test every aspect before adding the next. For my spell posted above, it's been about 20+ tests, and each of those is a chance to hit PrntScrn for a WIP.

6. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This. However I will post Intro WIP for bling.

E: Does the spell have to be configurable?

Attached Files:

7. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Most of it should be configurable, yes.

8. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Okay, thanks for clarifying.

Done with the spell, might tweak it later on for some adjustments.

Tooltip:
    E: I'm not sure if it works with vanilla editors; I did it in JNGP but did not use vJASS as I'm a noob in those parts.

Additionally it only affects heroes, and the present Pea-saints in the test map are just a distraction for whoever needs them.

Attached Files:

9. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Managed to fix the unit mini-pausing issue by allowing X number of "paused" ticks before being declared as stopped.

Configurables:
    • Acceleration
    • Top Speed
    • Range
    • Charge damage
    • Charge speed threshold - how fast the unit must be to deal charge damage
    • Damage attack type
    • Turn Loss - How much speed is lost while turning
    • Turn Window - Used to determine if a unit is turning for Turn Loss above
    • Pause Ticks - How many iterations the unit can be "stopped" before being declared stopped by the system. The trade-off here is that a higher value allows units to attack move and acquire targets without losing all their speed on the mini-pause, while a higher value also causes the unit to slide a bit when stopping.
    • Damage Buff Duration - How much time a unit has after reaching threshold speed to attack for bonus damage
    • Relative Top Speed - If enabled, any slows to the unit's movement speed will also affect the aura's speed bonus. E.g. frost will reduce the top speed by 50%.
    • Scale Damage - If enabled, damage done is multiplied by the percentage speed reached. E.g. if the unit is going at 75% of aura speed, 75% damage will be done.

To do:
    • Option to equalise movement speed for groups (otherwise tardy units can be left behind)
    • Improve charge damage visuals

10. Empirean

Empirean

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    i have to post my concept before creating my spell? or ill just upload it in the spell section and declare it as an entry? i quite dont get some of the rules sorry.

edit: i've read the earlier posts i quite understand now and im interested in joining this contest. But first, can i ask if my idea is qualified.

Name: Aura of Faith
    Form: Simple Triggers

Description:

Emits an aura that heals nearby allied units whenever the bearer of the aura is attacked. Units that has this ability will not be healed.

11. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We need proof that you made the spell, and that you didn't just copy someone else's spell and submit it as your own.

Just take a few screenshots of your code/testing and post that here. You don't have to post you concept.

Best way I can think of is to take a screenshot with debug text running in game while testing.

EDIT: Ugh, every time I fix something, the units-not-stopping-fully bug reappears :(

12. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I would advise you to retain the movement speed bonus for more than 650 range, because the area of effect is not big enough to justify the bonus. Thus, retain the radius to 650 for detection, but apply the bonus for let's say 800. Otherwise the ability is mainly circumstantial and useful only when an enemy hero is fleeing and you have to do a follow-up.
    Moreover, if both heroes remain stationary, the aura is practically useless. How about decreasing the movement speed bonus and adding some evasion to excuse the fading effect?

(null "g").

13. Empirean

Empirean

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    so, is my concept acceptable in this contest? or its too simple?

Current WIP:

-Create the aura ability
    -Make the Triggers
    -Finalize

Attached Files:

14. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We don't deny simple concepts, but I would suggest you to boost the effect or change the mechanics a bit. If you think of a gameplay scenario, when the enemy players realize that the hero has learned this skill, they will first of all kill every unit around him and then focus on the hero. This is good, to some extent, because the hero will take advantage and freely attack, but it also causes unwanted attention over your allied units. In order to increase the potential of the ability, you could force nearby enemies to attack the hero every X seconds, which is disabled if the percentage of life is lower than Y%.

15. Empirean

Empirean

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    That was my plan hehe. I intend to add another ability that does exactly that

Edit:
    Current WIP:

-Create the aura ability (DONE)
    -Make the Triggers (Done)
    adding some few things
    added screenshot of spell testing
    -Finalize(Done)

now where do i upload?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  16. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Would it be OP to shift the movement speed from 30 to 20%, then add 20% evasion and damage bonus against targets stalked?

17. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    OP is relative to the other spells and units in the map. Relative to vanilla warcraft, it sounds fine. Demon Hunter has evasion going up to 30%, and TC gives a 30% move aura. Yours combines that - but has an added handicap of only working on low HP heroes.

18. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    If you want upload something you can attach it to your post.

19. Empirean

Empirean

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    entries for the contest must be uploaded on this thread?

20. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Yes everything you do for this contest should be shared in this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.