1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Zephyr Contest #11 - My aura, Your aura

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Pharaoh_, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"(...) The ground was emitting magical energies as if they were coming from beneath. Slowly degenerating the environment around them, they were coherently forming a shape that looked like a rune. I realized that it was unfathomable to me, because it was a representation of the sorcerer's mind, an aura of his own existence. (...)"

Create an aura ability, which is either passive, active or toggle. The aura can affect yourself and your allies, your enemies or everyone in your presence.

[​IMG]

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
    • If a submission does not follow the spell submission rules, the result will be heavy downgrading up to disqualification.
    • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
      • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
      • The file in the appropriate format.
    • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
    • The spell can be of any type, active/passive/toggle/single target/area of effect (and any of the previous combined).
    • Judges may not participate.
    • Teamwork is not allowed; however, finding testers to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
    • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
    • Any submission must follow a Work In Progress (WiP), before it is published and labelled as the final piece.
    • The ability can be followed by a maximum of one (1) sub-ability, but the latter must not be more effective and/or powerful than the super-ability.
    • Either GUI or JASS may be used to create your spell; you will not be penalized if you use GUI over JASS.
    • Convenience over effort won't be an excuse to make use of third party programs (exception: Jass New Gen Pack). GUI actions that do not exist in the vanilla editor's database may lead to disqualification. WEU (World Editor Unlimited) and UMSWE fall into this category.
    • All spells must have documentation, regarding the use of each variable and/or actions (if needed). This will ensure readability and easier configuration for testing purposes.
    • You can use any enhancing system (xe, IsDestructableTree, Damage detection systems, etc.), as long as the judge(s) and/or host give(s) consent to its usage.

[​IMG]

• First Place: 45 reputation points and a special award icon
    • Second Place: 30 reputation points
    • Third Place: 15 reputation points
    • Remaining entries: 5 reputation points for each submission (for users wth final entries who made it to the public poll)
    • Judge: 10 reputation for each assigned judge.

[​IMG]

Uniqueness How creatively was the ability executed? /10
    Coding Is the skill bug- and leak-free? Does it support multiple instances? Is there any documentation and are there any configurable variables to fit the needs of any user? Does it cause performance issues upon effect? /20
    Visuals How does the skill look? Is it overloaded with special effects? How explanatory is the tooltip/description of its functionality? /10

[​IMG]

• IcemanBo
    • Contact me if you want to judge.

[​IMG]

The contest shall begin on 1st of July and conclude on 1st of August.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  2. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We can't fit the deadlines to everyone's needs and while one month is enough for an ability, we will stick to the regular duration.

3. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sounds fun.

Here's my plan:
    A "travel" aura that lets friendly units travel faster, beyond maximum movespeed. This will be very useful to have a mobile army that can quickly escape or strike at distant targets. Units would accelerate over time, so the aura would be effectively useless for microing in a battle.

EDIT: Using Bribe's IsUnitMoving system, but now that I've looked a bit more closely at how it works, it'll be a bit trickier to implement.

EDIT 2: So the problem mentioned above has been resolved, but now I've discovered a new issue: with war3's pathfinding, non-flying units move across long distances by going from waypoint to waypoint, instead of along a straight line. At each of these way points, it seems the unit does a mini stop before continuing. I'll just a do a "delayed" stop of some sort. Thereafter all that's left to do is reduce speed when turning, and that's the aura. Maybe I'll add a speed-based damage bonus or something and rename the aura to "jousting" aura.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  4. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  5. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yay: The contest has started! Now to work on that Hero & Techtree contest write-up...

Boo: I'm sad that my potential Aura contest write-up wasn't used. :<

6. Tank-Commander

Tank-Commander

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Had my idea planned out for a while, will probably be a while before I can get it ready, but yeah should be good to go, good this finally started

Edit: Currently at 200 lines of code

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  7. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just dropping this here:
    CustomAura by Anachron

Since it will probably be useful for contestants.
    I might participate if an idea comes to mind.
    Edit:
    With the presumption this is allowed that is.

8. Bannar

Bannar

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Is the quote beneath title taken from warcraft story books?

Btw, who gave the title? Sounds diplomatic or.. democratic in some way :p

9. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nope, I made them up, if it matters ;p

10. Bannar

Bannar

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Sounds so much like if it was taken from Khadgars story book (Last Guardian) :)
    Nice creation tho.

11. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's WIP time:
    [​IMG]
    MS: Unit movement speed
    RM: System's movement per tick (equals 100 movespeed)
    ES: Effective speed; how far the unit has moved in the last second

The turning speed reduction doesn't look like it'll be necessary anymore, since units pause for a moment (based on their turn rate) when turning, leading to a loss in speed.

Now for the damage bonus, I need to decide whether to do it on unit is attacked event or apply a damage bonus buff that will be removed after the first attack.

Attached Files:

12. Empirean

Empirean

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    oh wow a contest. how long does this contest lasts?

13. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    From the OP:

14. Tank-Commander

Tank-Commander

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well that was certainly a fast base implementation, ruler XD
    quite far off anything showable for now, though I'll outline my concept (though I'd have to write an essay to get everything I intend to do written down)

Basic idea:
    Aura "infects" nearby enemies (deals damage upon impact hp/mana, homing, AOE)
    Infected units take a percentage of extra damage hp/mana(damage source is the Hero with the aura)
    If a unit dies while infected, it will launch at another infected unit (deals more damage on impact hp/mana, AOE) if no others exist, it will deal damage in it's immediate area
    If the hero with the aura dies, all infected units are healed for a lump sum of hp/mana

potential effect: big chain reaction of death if lots of units are infected/low health

and as always, I've made/making everything I can possibly think of configurable

15. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sounds interesting, can't wait to see it in action. Knowing your work, it will be quite a visual treat :)

Mild insomnia is no fun... but does provide plenty of time to make fun stuff like this.

Here's my system in action:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2j1MHpkfAs

Done:
    - Aura detection, select highest level aura from nearby aura givers.
    - Settings and levels for: range, turning allowance, damage, top speed, acceleration.
    - Speed is reduced while turning.
    - Damage is dealt before your first attack when ending march.
    - SFX shown when unit reaches max speed.

To do:
    - Improve the visuals of the charge effect, limit to melee only.
    - Fix some bugginess with the way warcraft handles long-range movement.
    - Fix some bugginess with navigating around obstacles, causing units to turn excessively and lose all speed.
    - Stress testing.
    - Maybe a charge knockback of some sort. Would be cool for cavalry charges that break through enemy formations.

Edit: Added option for speed bonus to be affected by movement slows, like Frost or Cripple.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  16. Tank-Commander

Tank-Commander

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Right first visual WIP from me:

Current Progress:
    Name: Soul Tear Aura
    Form: JASS
    Code Size: 600 lines
    Memory Structure: Linked list

Functions:
    New targets identified (prep for allowing stacking in place)
    Initial Projectiles and all their values (including velocities in Z and X/Y) have been assigned though movement is not currently carried out (hence screenshot)
    Recycling is finished
    Structure of control has been laid out
    All key functions declared (though one is still empty)
    Special Effect handling is complete

Expected Final Code size: 900 Lines

Edit: Damage on Health/Mana boost is now working with effects in place
    Edit2: Movement has been fully implemented just have damage to do and validation on new casters (i.e. reapplying when they die and revive)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  17. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    That's amazing already to see 2 WIPs with some working code and screenshots. :eek:

18. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Warcraft's mini-stopping on unit moving is becoming quite the headache. With a group attack-moving, they stop for a moment when noticing a target, causing them to lose their speed.

19. Zeatherann

Zeatherann

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:

While it uses a 3rd party, and it is easier; Can I import my war3map.j file? This allows easier and cleaner coding of my spell. It's also not the first time I've done this.

20. Tank-Commander

Tank-Commander

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Right, my Aura is complete, I shall now spend the rest of the contest getting GIFs,polishing up any rough edges I find, documenting, and general bugtesting, wish everybody else goodluck.

Second image WIP of just it in a bit of action, when I can get some GIFs it'll be a lot more clear/crisp I think
    (the hard-to-see-purple effect (clear ingame, just hard to catch a screeshot of) is the effect used for showing the bonus magic damage)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.