• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Challenge #6 - Poll

Vote for your favourite entry!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Sheesh Poot, quit bothering him.
You could explain that several ways...
Because Locust Swarm summons spirits to damage an area you could say:
a) It is summoning units that are dammaging an area, so it is in fact an Aoe summon.
b) It is summoning an effect that is damaging an area. so it is not an Aoe summon.
c) It is a very poor example. It should have been left out, mainly because it just left the contest with random spells. Rain of Chaos should have been what the spells were modeled off of. More actual playble units.

Because of the fact you can puppeteer the units, and not just cause them to not only have an effect in an area, you can effect a large space. Wouldn't it be more wise to say that is an area neg buff, rather than an Aoe summon? Else Carrion Swarm would also be a Aoe summon, even though it effects a line, but a line is an area!

Level 9
Arcmage. Does the spell automatically select 2 trees, for example, in the area if only one critter is near? And vice-versa? What if there is neither around, will there still be a cool-down?

Maker. "Wisps form the skies".. What are wisps? Why are they coming from the sky? Rename the entity that is the wisp, something that correlates with sky entities. If they appear out of thin air then why would they detonate? The knock-back system could be implying a forceful wind directed at an enemy but the rest doesn't make sense. They are also on fire, or emanate plasma. Think about a short story of what they really are and then it should make sense.

xD.Schurke. Run-on descriptive sentence. In the heat of battle some kid might not have the time to read all that, people know their ability is good, tell them briefly if it's defensive, offensive or both.

ap0calypse. I think your damage formulas need adjusting from how i interpret them.

Kingz. "Summons several phoenixes", yet level 1 does only 10 damage per second. Do these stack per each phoenix? You also do not specify how many phoenixes are summoned, if i was fighting someone who had such an ability and the number of phoenixes were random (i am assuming) i would wonder why not the "max" number every time? And if it is not random how many are summoned, again the 10/20/30 damage per second thing.. I think that should be a stackable base damage for each phoenix in which case the number of summoned phoenixes would also be decided by the ability level.

TriggerHappy. Can you attack this worm during it's action? I don't see why it should be invulnerable when it, at times, is clearly vulnerable.

Eccho. "dealing up to 40 damage", the whole attack or each exploded mine?

Deaod. Why would units run from a 500HP, 2 armor ward? Will the take movement damage by running toward the ward? Do units who enter the AoE then become chained also? If so, shouldn't the largest AoE have to have a smaller radius than the maps longest ranged unit? To make it fair?

Duragon. Dark portal?

scorpion182. Why would the acolytes be invulnerable? They should be spirit-like if they are invulnerable. Or you could have them stay indefinitely until each on is killed, making the mana drained coincide with the number of acolytes. I think they should also replenish some life, if only half of what hit points needs to be gained.

Tukki. I would rename the ability. Also the description doesn't make sense; if it "bounces" then does it auto bounce from the first targeted enemy to another or does it retract to be reused?

EMPerror. The max damage the summoned unit should take should be a percentage of each attacking unit's stats. To keep things fair and not having the abomination die upon summoning from a few ranged attacks, give it more HP and also gain a percentage of the HP of it's eaten victims.

Gamecrafter_DK. It seems the sculpted ice-block has nothing to do with ice shards called from the sky. I say get rid of it and add-on to the shard idea, maybe it can create a small crater where it falls, maybe "freeze" a unit, at leas knocking it dizzy thus slowing it. What else would or could a magical ice shard do?

Hemlock: What i the purpose of creating a mirror of the caster? If it is other-dimensional then how could the normal units see it? If it is invisible to enemy units then why even have it? Same goes for if it is invulnerable. I seems you are trying to add a story to some basic triggers.

I voted for Deaod with what i found to be the most original idea.

Level 5
Cheeder said:
Duragon. Dark portal?
They both summon units, yes, but one is channeled and the units can only exist as long as it is channeled. That entirely changes its impact on the game, the way it is used, and so on and so forth.

Level 14
Why would units run from a 500HP, 2 armor ward?
Well, thats why you get to move the ward around. Drag your enemies to where you want them, or prevent your enemies from escaping. Also, the silence effect is a nice add-on.

Will the take movement damage by running toward the ward?
No.

Do units who enter the AoE then become chained also?
No, but that could be changed, if you want me to.

If so, shouldn't the largest AoE have to have a smaller radius than the maps longest ranged unit? To make it fair?
I facilitate balancing by offering relevant constants to be changed, but i dont actually balance the spell. You have to find the right balance for your own map. So, if you want the AoE to be smaller, just change the (hypothetical) constant for that AoE.

Level 10
Mage_Goo:
  • Not quite sure, what to think of it. Dont really understand how this spell is supposed to be useful.
  • You should use GroupUtils.
  • Your Struct1.CanTargeted function has a lot of fluff.
well, where I must start answer.
Not quite sure, what to think of it. Dont really understand how this spell is supposed to be useful.
Yeah, I think like that too. I want to change how the bird pick target and add 'Bird Leader', but I really have no idea to do it. It still too hard for me now.
You should use GroupUtils.
what is the advantage of using GroupUtils? I only Enum unit in two parts of spell. 1 for searching target, and another to 'burn' mana of enemy nearby egg.
Your Struct1.CanTargeted function has a lot of fluff.
well, I know it, but when I realize it, the deadline has come.

btw, it's a really good review of you, thanks :)

and, sorry people, but it's my fault for add Gamecrafter_DK to contestant list from first. I never think his WIP is really far away from complete. Sorry guys. btw, who vote for him? it's strange to see an uncompleted spell is still get a vote.

and, why Zack1996's submission didn't accepted? it's only miss deadline a bit and Pyritie say it's ok.

and, well, I already know many submission maybe didn't fit the theme (me too). but, the theme is a bit unclear. it doesn't say that we should summon unit that can fully controlled or at least can be killed like normal unit.

and with AoE summon theme, I have a question.
is it:
a) Summon Infernal spell or,
b) Healing Ward or,
c) Goblin Landmine
that is more fitting the theme?

@Cheeder
are you have tested all of the spell? it seem that you only see half of them then quickly pick your vote.

Level 25
Cheeder said:
Kingz. "Summons several phoenixes", yet level 1 does only 10 damage per second.

HUH? What does this sentence even mean?

Cheeder said:
Do these stack per each phoenix? You also do not specify how many phoenixes are summoned, if i was fighting someone who had such an ability and the number of phoenixes were random (i am assuming) i would wonder why not the "max" number every time? And if it is not random how many are summoned, again the 10/20/30 damage per second thing.. I think that should be a stackable base damage for each phoenix in which case the number of summoned phoenixes would also be decided by the ability level.

Yes they do stack, phoenixes are unit's, as such they have their own abilities and affect the game on their own :p
Phoenix number is defined in the code, i didn't want to make my spell strict in that manner and if you had even TAKEN A SINGLE LOOK at the actualy code you would have noticed that.
Each phoenix deals 10/20/30 damage in a small aoe around him, as well as damaging enemies with the fire blast, they do so individualy, NOT as a group.
The last thing you said is also adjustable, if you would have just LOOKED at the code.

I hate it when people rate your work without even examining it properly :p

Level 9
Deaod. The fact that you can move the ward seems a bit unfair but, as Mage Goo will soon find out, i have not tested it.

Mage Goo. I did not test any of the abilities. I was simply in the judgmental mood and i gave my criticism (constuctive i'd say) to those whose spell layout was even worth putting an interest in. If you have no image, video, description or much of anything then why should i assume you are proud about something wonderful? So i skipped over a few, yes, and again, tested none. My point was in fact to be constructive, i know that's what helps others and i don't ever do it but for some reason was in the mood. So all of my questions and notices are for the maker to think about, as i am not using any of the spells, or any spells from anywhere. You want to make better and more creative things then take criticism whether it's by people who test or not, or even know what they're talking about or not. Learning is good fun.

Kingz. The aforementioned applies to you, too, as i did not rate your work, nor did i assume your code was full of descriptive notes because so much jass usually isn't.
The first sentence is using a quote by you describing your spell, then me asking a question and then further going into the question after that. If you had 50 phoenixes flying around me and i was only deducted 10hp a second i'd be pretty happy. So because you were not clear in your submission i simply asked a question that someone like me would ask; do each phoenix cause 10hp damage per second.

2 thumbs down for identifying how others think and what they might mean if you don't know what they're talking about... instead of giving up.

Other than that i do recall an eyebrow lifting for your spell but it quickly went away when i quickly thought that you did something flamey with mythical flamey birds. I don't believe there is a mythical burning rock which when hits you turns into a golem. Your use of fire with firebirds put me off, read again who i voted for and why. NO OFFENSE. And seriously, no offense, i even have issues about the spell of whom i voted for.

If you do want me to "rate" it i will just for you. Orginiality, effort, creativity, practicality, mechanics, etc. Let me know.

Level 25
Cheeder said:
The aforementioned applies to you, too, as i did not rate your work, nor did i assume your code was full of descriptive notes because so much jass usually isn't.

So, you want to say that you don't expect JASS resources to have documentation? Oo

Cheeder said:
So because you were not clear in your submission i simply asked a question that someone like me would ask; do each phoenix cause 10hp damage per second.

But you put that question in the most confusing form you could come up with, and that i don't respect.
If you got questions about something then ask, don't use word play which you can twist later on -.-

Also being this is a FANTASY GAME, you shouldn't take things as they are in normal life and normal conditions therefore i think the next comments are pretty much strange and beyound question useless:

Cheeder said:
What i the purpose of creating a mirror of the caster? If it is other-dimensional then how could the normal units see it? If it is invisible to enemy units then why even have it? Same goes for if it is invulnerable. I seems you are trying to add a story to some basic triggers.

Why would the acolytes be invulnerable? They should be spirit-like if they are invulnerable.

What are wisps? Why are they coming from the sky? Rename the entity that is the wisp, something that correlates with sky entities. If they appear out of thin air then why would they detonate? The knock-back system could be implying a forceful wind directed at an enemy but the rest doesn't make sense. They are also on fire, or emanate plasma. Think about a short story of what they really are and then it should make sense.

Run-on descriptive sentence. In the heat of battle some kid might not have the time to read all that, people know their ability is good, tell them briefly if it's defensive, offensive or both.

On the end i remind you this is a fantasy game, in real life pandas can't split into 3, you can't revive the undead nor conjure a flame pillar, then why the heck do you insist of spells having sense in the terms of real life when even blizzard doesn't do that?

Level 23
You would probably not believe me if I said it, but I am going to say it anyway...

I JUST REVIEWED ALL SPELLS AND WAS PRESSING THE REVIEW BUTTON BEFORE SUBMITTING THE POST, WHEN THE GOD DAMN SITE ASKS ME TO LOG IN... SO I PRESS LOG IN, AND EVERYTHING DISAPPEARED. DUE TO THAT I DECIDED TO JUST TELL YOU WHICH ONE I CONSIDERED THE BEST ONE.

... So my votes goes to Daeod. The reason is, becase I found nothing wrong with his submission, and purely works as it is supposed to do, and weren't boring, nor complicated, nor in the grayzone which many of the submissions are. Nice try the rest of you. Some of you were actually pretty najs candidates. Despite the fact that this is a multichoice poll I decided to just pick one favorite.

---
Cheeder said:
Eccho. "dealing up to 40 damage", the whole attack or each exploded mine?

Each exploding mine. I forgot the word each in the tooltip, sorry.

You would probably not believe me if I said it, but I am going to say it anyway...

I JUST REVIEWED ALL SPELLS AND WAS PRESSING THE REVIEW BUTTON BEFORE SUBMITTING THE POST, WHEN THE GOD DAMN SITE ASKS ME TO LOG IN... SO I PRESS LOG IN, AND EVERYTHING DISAPPEARED. DUE TO THAT I DECIDED TO JUST TELL YOU WHICH ONE I CONSIDERED THE BEST ONE.

Ah, don't you just love vBulletin?

Level 5
I didn't really like any of the entries enough, so I will just hold my vote. The only two that met the theme that were remotely neat both used ward-like summons, which I find boring and uninspired. Good luck to everyone, though.

Level 9
I vote for the Maker, Eccho, and Kingz.

I really like their idea and the way they do it simply amazing, .

don't know why, but the Dune Worm thingy really bugged for me, it just attack once and never again. After short while, it doesn't attack even for the first time after cast.

After all, GJ for all participants.

Level 15
As far as I know. Dune Worm bugs many times. That kinda makes it pretty bad.

Also, the rules were amazing. I don't understand how it can mislead almost half the entries to stray from the actual theme of the concept (some slightly, others completely).

Straying Far Off:
RaiN.'s Lightning Shards (Summon? No. Special Effects? Yes. It would do just as well without the lazer things)
scorpion182's Pentagram (Sorry, but the Acolytes are used for special effect purposes. You can't claim that they maintain the magical balance of the Pentagram, allowing it to retain its effect. That's just nonsense. They don't qualify as units in any way.)
TriggerHappy's Dune Worm (Again, just Special Effects. I could use Rocky Exposions and Sand instead of the worm and it works just fine)

Straying Slightly:
Gamecrafter_DK's Arcane Frostshard (Its a WIP, but I don't see the significance of the summoned unit)
Duragon's The Fade (The AoE Part. Don't understand why it was in the rules, but you missed that.)
Kingz's Flame Ruin (I won't really call those summons, but its pretty close.)
Thunder Bird (Same as above. Also, why do you use the caster to deal the damage? It does 2 things to the spell:
The caster does the damage -> Birds are not independant units -> Not a summon spell?
The damage is taken as an attack. This made the caster get slowed by stuff like Frost Armour)

xD.Schurke. That's a pretty neat spell! I seemed to have forgotten to download it :p. I apologize. Can I cast my un-casted vote? I wanna vote for Ritual of Vengeance too. It may be slightly over-complicated, but it has a pretty good concept IMO.

Once again, this contest seems to be messed up. Some idiot decided to vote for everything. Zephyr shouldn't be decided by votes, even if its just 30%.

Level 5
Zack1996 said:
Duragon's The Fade (The AoE Part. Don't understand why it was in the rules, but you missed that.)
No, I did not. It targets in exactly the same way as Rain of Chaos - summoning units at any point in an area with a side effect. The side effect for my ability was that they were linked to the ability being channeled and when it ends, so do they. Just because it doesn't do damage or something in the area doesn't make it less of an AOE ability.

Level 37
It seems I forgot to attach my spell to the post, and the thread is locked. I used pastebin and the file has expired and been deleted. Failcount = failcount + 1 ;)

Here's the file attached, I'd appreciate if the poll link would lead to this post :)

Nudgeballs_7.jpg

Attachments

• Nudgeballs.w3x
    62.7 KB · Views: 72
Level 15
As far as I can tell, that entry was the exact same one as the one posted in the contest thread, so no reason why it shouldn't be valid (pastebin expiring is supposed to be disqualification, but I guess it should be ok since you noticed it :p)

Why do people use pastebin instead of attachment anyway? Attachments are so much better :p

From how its going, top 3 would be:
Dune Worm
Goblin Air Strike
Magic Chains

But that excludes judging. Any news?

Marry Christmas BTW :)

Level 23
Ive spoke to Hanky. Atm I guess he is around lurking:p And I think he is waiting for dingo, which is mysteriously gone at the moment, so I have no idea.

Also, thankfully this poll is over. Xaxa

Level 17
Ive spoke to Hanky. Atm I guess he is around lurking:p And I think he is waiting for dingo, which is mysteriously gone at the moment, so I have no idea.

Also, thankfully this poll is over. Xaxa

I would know if I'm gone ;D

You all don't have to worry. Just after christmas both Hanky and I will start/continue our reviews. We had a lot to do in our RLs so please forgive us ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.