• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Your first experience in hive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
My first experience would be, NOTHING. :xxd:

I only registered here because of my employee(former) and also a friend who worked at my shop insisted me to download maps and explore the World Editor. I only became active at 2011 when I met a lot of interesting and fun guys, especially old moderators whom I believe most of them are gone somewhere(via DA), reading the tutorials section for hours, and my little knowledge of helping users gain approval at the Map Section. :wink:

Level 49
skins_3984_preview_tn.jpg

first ever uploaded resource. a purely, 100% recolored lich

Level 22
Lovely posts :D

this is mine:

I was looking at some tutorials about world editor and such, from thehelper.net, CR, and finally hive. i didn't register on that time. just downloaded some maps and spells.
I eventually learned about mapping and triggering. when i registered, i made my very first achievement here. 50 Post per day :p

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I actually found hive from a youtube video. "How to import custom models in wc3" or someting like that, don't laugh please.

so I started with downloading stuff and then ended up with triggers and asking for help in the world editor help zone, and later on I became one of the most active helpers in that forum for the time being. (which I isn't anymore)

Level 22
I actually found hive from a youtube video. "How to import custom models in wc3" or someting like that, don't laugh please.

so I started with downloading stuff and then ended up with triggers and asking for help in the world editor help zone, and later on I became one of the most active helpers in that forum for the time being. (which I isn't anymore)
i laughed, but it's normal since my first time was also looking at "How to import custom models in wc3" tutorial in thehelper.net :p

My first time at THW back on an old day when it was at 2012, I came from Epicwar and register under name The Protector (if I recall it properly), then I loss the whole ID information (even email, and it's not yet verified, shit). I doesn't even post even one time.
So I came again around January 2013, when I was in a hard state of my life (got too many school life issues), I made this account and get my first map uploaded here (remember when Orcnet help me a lot, thx a bunch Orcnet!).

So far, I thanked THW for being a great community, which made me enjoy my life more.

Before I came across THW I regularly played Med.MapGuy's maps (pretty hilarious), downloaded from his site, then at the end of the credits I saw THW listed, so I became curious to see more good stuff from this site.
I first encountered THW in 2010 and regularly downloaded resources, I rarely looked at the forums. Back then I had problems importing models correctly into a map (don't laugh).
Then in 2011 I made an account, I posted only 10 times, after that I kinda forgot my password so the account got deleted due to inactivity. At the end of 2011 I lurked around a bit, never cared to make another account.
Finally in March 2012 I decided to make my current account (under a different name, name change since then) and tried to get involved into the community (the first posts were in April 2012 but lost interest after that). I was partly inactive until November 2013 when I started to post more on the forums.

So far I'm pleased with THW.

Last edited:
Level 25
I don't really remember.

Back in the day (2002-2007) I uploaded and downloaded my maps at Maps'n'Mods, a site that has since died.

One of the first things I think was a cinematic contest of sorts. The few years after that I just used hive for resources, and only really became active for a few months two years ago.

I remember the community being very friendly, but I didn't really partake since my home was at Maps'n'Mods. I miss that site :(

Level 24
I found this is site when I was in a hospital, I was a rookie of World Editor at that time and I really love downloading campaign maps, When I found the Helpers.net and Wc3c.net. I also found this site, it took me a week to register in this site, due to emails that cannot be send, but I got in, I love the maps, models, icons and spells, unlike today I guess. In that time, I was a terrainer, showing off simple terrains. Then I found the two ultimate tools for me, War3ModelEditor and MDlvis. Then I do modelling instead of terraining.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
I love the maps, models, icons and spells, unlike today I guess
I'm curiouse why? btw, I'm a coder. I'm always comparing my spells with the old one and trying to add much more improvements in it, hoping that people will be pleased, but still, seems like I always failed dunno why. So I guess the problem is not 100% on today's modder.

But, I partially agree with you, 90% of today maps are sucks. I love old maps more because they have more intense & fun gameplay. Unlikely today, people are just focused on "visual" thingy more than gameplay.

But for code resources, I can see significant improvements from time to time. But at the same time, not so many people are interested with code resource.

images

EDIT:
Oh, forgot to tell my story. I have learned wc3 coding for years but have just joined this year. I came here firstly to upload my suck GUI chat system. Then magtheridon96 tell me to learn JASS and re-write my chat system into JASS. Then I'm interested to learn JASS, and finally, vJass too. Then after I'm good at basic vJass, I continue to learn advanced vJass (struct). THW surely has helped me alot on this part.
Now I'm slowly moving to modeling :3 still dont have 3ds max or any modeling app atm.

Unlikely today, people are just focused on "visual" thingy more than gameplay.
Can you stop this? It's getting annoying now! Every aspect of the map counts (visuals included).
Now I'm slowly moving to modeling :3 still dont have 3ds max or any modeling app atm.
I'm curious to see how that will turn out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 34
I was transferred over from wc3sear.ch against my will. LONG LIVE THE TRUE SITE! LONG LIVE DARKY!

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Can you stop this? It's getting annoying now! Every aspect of the map counts (visuals included).
please, don't! I didn't mean to offend, I didn't mean that charming maps are totally sucks, but what I feel that most modder today forgot about the most important aspect of a game which they should concern the most, yeah it's gameplay. I'm not talking about rating here :)

and yeah, my self, I have realized how important is that "visual" aspect, so that people will be convinced to play our game and maybe, love it. That's why I will try more in to modeling and texturing :3

Level 16
My first experience with hive:
Hive is a talk dark handsome man, with his jawline complimenting his nice auburn sideburns
We seldom see each other in a hallway just between his office room and mine
Oftentimes we bump into each other, i'd often blush seeing as how this tall man smile so kind.

"He's just that man with a genuine smile". I often think to myself...
"And his strong perfume, oh those sweet perfume" sometimes i'd intentionally bump into him just to get a whiff. Waiting... Wanting...
One night i worked overtime, about all of the employees are gone. Sometimes i'd walk in the hallway where we sometimes meet just to refresh my mine from hard work. I did some little bit of acting, where i'd recall some past events with him and act some responses to his usual "sorry, my body is a bit hard. Hehe, you okay?"
I'd fantasize about saying things like "i bet that's not the only thing that's hard, hive".

"I know right?"

I turned around. The voice was familiar, oh too familiar. It was him, this time with his 5'0 clock beard and partly sided hair complimenting those godly jawline.
He pushed me against the wall and leaned closer to me, his eyes staring into nothingness. So black as the night. An the perfume, those scent. It made me wanting.

I salivated in my mouth as he smiled impishly... He knows i want it, an i know i want it... Badly...
He quickly unbuttoned my pink shirt, faster than i have imagined as i was still stuck in trance...
And then It happened...

Level 15
Mostly lurking from 2006 to 2008, relatively active from 2008 to 2009, massive hiatus from 2009 to 2014 and now i just visit the chat and occasionally look at the forums.

It was April. My multi account got banned for repping. How naughty. Rejected map.
I knew little about triggers, didn't know what leaks are and when advised, thought they were unused items and units. xD

After a short hiatus came Hero Contest 6. And some syndicate manipulations to no avail. How regret visits me these days.

..When the past calls, don't answer. It's got nothing new to say. This thread is evul.

Pretty much look,argue,ban,return,look,argue,ban and repeat for about 5-7 years then basically eubz story except Hell_Master gave me my reviewing power and well I pop on before and still now from time to time to solve the problems/issues nobody else can solve unless its that cat who shoots trolls at dawn, no possible solution has been found yet.

It's been a creative fun long time of being idiotic and growing up. Thanks hive and all its members including you who just read this.

Level 30
Mine is when I was searching on "How to import skins" and stuffs from Youtube . From a youtube video, I was able to discover Hive. Made my account but not this yet (I must admit I have 3 accounts here and two of them are inactive and this is the other one and my main now) under the name of "Allain55X" (was a stupid user back then, spamming stuffs and I have a horrible grammar). After I got bored, created my second and got bored again and finally, created this which I was able stick with until now (I merged those two with my account here).

I use to miss those helpful people in the past such as defskull, Maldruzard, CroMoX and etc.

Level 15
Posted " Hi i am a new person on this forum " and was chatting about stuff, only one year afterward I realized that giving hints to other players might cause them to give you that thing called "reputation" at first I tried bribe readers to answer my questions using the reputation points I got ( I though that you can give one rep after recieving one rep, reseting to zero) after nobody cared about my bribe attempts I found out after another year that I do not need rep in order to give rep, then I spammed rep to everyone and people slowly but surely started to respond on my questions. Now, about 4 years later with one unactive year of forgetting my password and taking one year to recover, I became a map tester for about half year, then stopped doing that and just coming from time to time giving tips and chat about things unrelated to warcraft, as I do this as an hobby / sociaty chat more than "becoming the best game maker on the world" xD.
Was awesome experiencing all that :)

Level 22
No, I meant the question could be interpreted differently, it has nothing to do with R18-class secrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.