• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Your First Days on the Hive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to know how the 'veteran' users of the Hive acted when they first joined the forum. How different they were than they are now.

Take note: Only people that have been on the Hive for about 6 months should have a story like this.

I remember one of my first posts, it was quite idiotic.
At that time, Cracka_J's reply to my post was a thread filled with lots of words that said:
"Warcraft 3 WoW does not have a demo!" Or something like that.
Well, that's all.

Now, I'd like to hear your stories, my fellow Hivers.

Level 20
Talked about map protection techniques with PurplePoot and listened to DesKaladA spout worthless shit about the topic. Good times.

More significantly, annoyed Kimberly (formerly Werewulf) in chat and got permabanned uncountably many times.

Level 20
ragingspeedhorn said:
DesKaladA was the king of this place.

Yeah man, he was hilarious. He kept his ultimate map protection trick a secret for quite a while, but he eventually sent me a protected map of his to see if I could open it. Of course, it wouldn't even run in WC3, but opening war3map.j, I realized that all he did was remove all linebreaks from the script.

Level 22
My first posts on the Hive don't exist anymore since they weren't on hive at all, it was wc3sear.ch. I remember I had requests of many models from EE that at that time no one wanted to make. Later someone agreed to make mst of them not all. I still used them until I stopped war3 and will use in sc2 if they need improvements of any kind, I dont remember if that was wc3sear.ch or THW at that time. I remember Mecheon and Werewulf aka Kimberly not being nice. I also came to download many good for that time models and ask for help when I needed, this seemed the best place for World Editor. Among the first models I really liked where those by killst4r.

Level 22
Well, in the beginning I wanted to make an ORPG based on Final Fantasy 10. I wanted some models, but never got any replies. After that I made some spells and some systems in GUI. One of the systems I made was a breakthrough. I made the first sniper system that allowed the scope to move not only to the left and to the right, but also up and down. At the same time I roamed the Triggers & Scripts forum helping people and entering contests. Then I started learning vJASS while helping even more and joining more contests.

Level 30
I don't know much about being a veteran in this site [is there a war? hell sign me up! :D]

It was a cold-hot summering winter day,

I was looking closely in my World Editor because I am reviving my very old map that I made when I was just 11 yrs old, so I was surfing the net and the first warcraft 3 site that I found was this! and hell I just wet myself and got excited about the World Editor Help Zone and I kept asking noobish questions until there I became a random user just lurking at threads (:)

I came to this site in wanting need of critics of my maps that seemed that weren't so great(but I thought they where so good:eek:) and got uber flamed and trolled :D I just basically learned how to use the WE on my own about when I was 12 and interested my mind to see what I could create and try to make as original as possible. after my maps where totally rejected and frown into the "fire" I became inactive for about a thew months but after I started coming up with better and better ideas with a couple maps being finished that I wanted to work on the most and ever since I've just been lurking around doing stuff and helping around and still work on my maps:p.

Level 7
I wasn't going to post in here, but since people who have been here not as long have posted (bearing in mind I've only been here just over a year) I thought I should post something too. I joined because I wanted to give something back to the Hive community, because I downloaded load of models :p My very first post was my first map (first out of two). Both my Maps are probably below average quality. I didn't really talk to anyone, much like now, only occasionally posting in a thread. Most people probably have no idea who I am but that is okay because I don't know who most of you are :D Then I joined the infamous Daily Peon, where my terraining skills have increased (in my opinion.)

N.B I have yet to give something worth while back to Hive

Level 7
It was a cold snowy winter day.

I was watching a video on Youtube about importing custom skins in WE. I watched and watched, and, out of nowhere, he goes to www.hiveworkshop.com in the skins section. He downloaded a skin of 67Chrome (I think) and imported it to some path, I don't know. And then I was like - Dude. I have to join here.

And my first posts were like the posts you post on Facebook - full of smilies, hardly any help. Man, I'm so ashamed now. But oh well, I first started posting in the Concept art forum, The request forum (I am sooo ashamed of this post) and what not. It was a nice ride through the hive, without it I wouldn't grow so "smart" in the posts on the internet, and stop using shortcuts instead of the normal words/phrases.

Later on is the time when I got into modeling/skinning/everything. I am proud of this period, 2 years ago... wow, It's been 2 years, I can't really believe it.

And now... I am erm... posting this. I am not as active as I used to be, School's getting in my way a lot... Am I supposed to post this, actually? 2 years doesn't seem like "Senior" or "Veteran" to me. *looks at first post* oh, 6 months? Oh Ok then, I guess.

Level 27
Vetaran? That requires from 2 to 4 years, I'd say.

Well see, I had a video game magazine, and on it's CD there were bunch of different Warcraft 3 custom maps. When I installed them, I figured out quite a lot of them didn't work. so I figured I need to instal game patches (I haven't done that to Warcraft 3 before because I didn't play multiplayer). I did so, so all maps begun to work, and on one of my favourites I've read that I can find a new version or whatever like that on Hiveworkshop. So I came here and decided to register. The End

Level 6
I went here after plain a map which lincked to newer versions at wc3sear, from the adress I came here. A year later i joined hive, another year later i first posted.
I think I'm the least posting, jet allways lurkin member.(I'm on the site everyday if I'm not in holydays)

Level 17
I found this site in 2008 but didn't join because I liked playing ladder and not modding the game. So I joined 2 years later when I got bored of it.

Level 37
My first thing here was to upload my first map: Land Of Legends. But I think this was back then when "wc3search" was still alive. When Hive came the map got deleted or something. I uploaded the map here like a year ago but it never was approved: it doesn't have the required standards anymore(back then it was approved).

When I look my old posts my "actual" first thing here was to upload Mystery Of Friza(I even got that old thread).

So in nutshell I was here to share my projects and still doing the same.

Level 11
i found wc3sear.ch back in 2006 and in 2008 i saw hive and finally made a user cause of all the awesome tools and resources here! ^^

Level 1
Back in my day people were awesome, terrains were awesome, there was the Jury of Awesomeness, and Frank spammed awesome models. Shit was awesome!

• Angry
Reactions: Rui
I joined wc3sear.ch to download resources then my account was transferred here. I discovered the forums and decided to start posting. That resulted in me dropping to about -10 rep so I multi accounted a few times and made an attempt to change the way I speak from "o hi u r good at making maps" to something a little bit more readable. It paid off.

Discovering Wc3 World Editor caused me to search moding sites. I found huge model section here, I started importing so much in my maps (those maps was just for tests). Like a stupid kid with stupid questions and bad grammar, I started posts. I dont remember what was my first submission (I think it was leakfull unoficient hook spell). First days I tryed to make some friends here, become a very active user. At the start you could think I was a troll or lamer.

I never read any tutorials when I started GUI submissions. I was learning things about WE by myself even when my english knowlage was poor.

I tryed something new: making icons... starting with MS paint and photo editing program. Because I am a poor man, I didnt had money to study about art design and such or allow a pen tablet to myself. I read some not rly usefull tutorials, saw SO MANY arts and tryed to draw like that. From a small kid I was sitting hour or two to redraw pictures on paper. I am a quick learner.

yeah, your icons now are really cool... and your tut is also good...

When I got here, I was just like most of the new users, posting questions, downloading materials... then since I'm making maps alone, I forced myself to learn good triggering since I learned that my triggering was awfully bad (especially since I was using WEU that time)... My first resource was when I learned vJASS, it was my missile library though not really cool... Though it took me a while to learn vJASS as I don't have a background on codes and programming...

Level 18
I remember I first signed up on wc3sear.ch and thought it was a great website for WC3 modding. I remember some campaign that involved spiders or something like that really was the first thing to catch my eye. After the conversion to the hive I was super confused to be honest!

I've been on this website so long (nearly 5 years!) that I can't even find my first posts but I'm sure they were mostly about me trying to get a hosted project. I had literally 0 experience but when I saw that The Hive had hosted projects I knew I wanted to get one. So I utilized the amazing resources and people that we have in our community here and ended up (eventually) making a map good enough to be a hosted project!

I used to come here all the time and the habit was so strong that I still check the site at least once every other day, even if I hardly ever do anything on it. I'm just hoping the site will stick around long enough for WC4 to come out so I can start modding again.

Level 48
I submitted a crappy model with a crappy post.

The Skeletal Ghost Wyrm

First Model. No Portrait\Camera Because I Dont Know How To Make One. Got Team Glow. You Can Edit This Model Anyway You Want.Some Modeling\What To Improve Help Will Be Accepted Happily. The Skin Is Not Needed, But Will Make The Model Much More Nice.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Litle Story:
The Skeletal Ghost Dragon is a Dragon that has been slain by some of the best dragon slayers of this world, and a necromancer tried to revive him. The necromancer, reviving the dragon, has made a mistake on one of "the magic words" (0_0) and that what was the dragon turned to be after.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

IF ANYONE STARTING A POST LIKE: "how he can fly with only bones?", MY VERY ORGINAL ANSWER IS THAT HES FLYING WITH SOME SUPER NECROMANTIC UNDEAD CORRUPTED MAGICAL FORCE!!!

Otherwise, everything I did or said was crappy all around.

Level 22
I joined in 2008 searching for a way to
deprotect
a map =P
I came back 1.5 years later downloading icons and models and doing no posts.
My first actual hiving was done on January 22 as I recall. I submitted some nuke spell =P
I got flamed, I quadruple-posted, and I almost gave up.
I learned basic GUI (Leak clearing; efficiency) on January 24
At the moment, those same people that flamed me still don't know Jass, while I already finished learning vJass a month ago :D
Take that!
Oh and there was this one time where I was advertising =P

Level 12
I deleted some of my first posts, they were pretty derpy. But I essentially came here to upload a 1337 spell I made called "child rain" or something. Essentially like blizzard, except it was trigger based and it rained children. Nevar again.

Level 7
I came here to spout my idiotic map ideas which no one liked. :D

Okay, i admit it... i wanted to steal the fakin awsome resources u guys had here aha.. ha.... h.. a..? ):

Level 18
I posted this model edit I 'made' in Magos, Frank rejected it, and I raged.

And here I stand, four years later, so much of a grizzled veteran that 3 or 4 people on this site know who I am. Well, what do you expect. I'm not active, I'm lazy and I do't stay on the chat because it bores me to death real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.