• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Discussion] Would you be interested in working in a community project?

Would you be interested in working on the game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
Stath you can't drink while working! Otherwise.. you will write some random stuff and Mag will have to fix it. Or you will write normal good codes.. but.. hm. Drunk. No one can do shit while he/she is drunk.. hm....

whatever... so. We're gonna go for a cartoonish style? I'm not really sure if that would fit a Warlock game. Also.... it's not so easy to draw cartoonish stuff.

Any good independant projects starts with an experienced programmer doing the core of the game all by himself on a daily basis, several hours per day.

You can never convince skilled and experienced programmers or artists without a piece of existing code that allows to demonstrate where everything is going.

These videos by ExtraCreditz might be something for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCuUWGmatpU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQvWMdWhFCc

Level 19
Highly recommend you guys watch most if not ALL of the Extra Credits episodes to either help in this project or just learn a thing or two. Very insightful and teaches you a lot on game design. Also, ErrantSignal and MrBtongue are good ones as well, which have a greater ludological focus in games.

Level 11
Going to watch the Episodes Extra Credits. Btw wanted to say i like to try to make a Music for the game. I am working in the Music program for few years im not proffesional auctually im far from proffesional but i will try hard to make it best possible also its my first sound for a game so ill try my best and ill update the music every time.

So as i said i can help in Creating the music, Game designer and 2D Art

Level 14
After reading all 51 pages, here is my input:

GDD, GDD, GDD, and GDD

GDD stands for Game Design Document. This is the unifying piece, the thing that will (under strong leadership) keep your game from falling apart.

Someone needs to author one (at least, I highly recommend it). It's a daunting task, put is pivotal nonetheless.

Cheers,
~Asomath

Level 14
Right, it's the guide and the reference. From it comes a real development process. If anyone is familiar with the film-production process, the GDD is very similar to a script-breakdown. Once the GDD is completed, you have drawn out and listed the production elements needed to complete the project. It then becomes easier to deal assignments, avoid confusion (and thus resource mismanagement), and, pertaining to Rover2341's question on page 41, assess a timeframe for the project's completion.

In short, the GDD forms your developmental infrastructure. It is the main road that your team leader pushes the project over on the way to completion.

~Asomath

Level 20
Great!

I would suggest we split into little groups that will complete the GDD, as for me I would like to be the one that writes Gameplay, Art, and Story. Anyone who is willing to join me might as well do. As for the others pick one field and start working!

(That is the assumption; or at least, that's what I think we should do)

Level 30
Great!

I would suggest we split into little groups that will complete the GDD, as for me I would like to be the one that writes Gameplay, Art, and Story. Anyone who is willing to join me might as well do. As for the others pick one field and start working!

(That is the assumption; or at least, that's what I think we should do)

That idea looks great... +3 REP. I might maybe join you in writing the Gameplay and Story.

Level 19
GDD contains everything in a game, and absolutely everything from budget, expected release date and content. For bigger projects, the GDD's are usually split into the Design, Technical, Art, Test, etc. documents. It should be done at the pre-production phase (which is now). Also, Google Docs could be neat for the document itself or maybe a wiki instead (docuwiki is neat).

Just creating the game without a design document is bad, so we need to do pre-production first.

Level 30
GDD contains everything in a game, and absolutely everything from budget, expected release date and content. For bigger projects, the GDD's are usually split into the Design, Technical, Art, Test, etc. documents. It should be done at the pre-production phase (which is now). Also, Google Docs could be neat for the document itself or maybe a wiki instead (docuwiki is neat).

Just creating the game without a design document is bad, so we need to do pre-production first.

:ogre_hurrhurr: Genius....lol!

By the way, so we will use GDD? Or some further plannings?

Level 14
@Drunken_Jackal, good find! That article is a very scholarly and insightful description of a GDD. I recommend it to anyone who is participating.

As to the splitting up into groups idea, that's fine to a certain extent. Just remember though that one person should be managing all of the subsections in order to maintain the documents integrity. As in, the author needs to look at each of the elements that are being written and make sure the document flows consistently.

~Asomath

Level 30
Maybe the active here should be the leader because the more active the leader, the more work we will get done but I also fear it depends if the leader has the skills of handling a group and also the skill to help in developments.... leader will not just stand and command others but also help.

Status
Not open for further replies.