• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

World to end in 2029? or 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Eh! the chances of them making us paranoid are a million to one, and thanks for calling me retarded! :)

So you're accepting that you're retarded? Cheers. I was just saying that figuratively you are retarded, not literally. Meaning what you said was something that would come from a person who was retarded. And the chances are probably a lot higher than a million to one, scientists aren't terrorists. The lot of them, anyway. Especially Swedish ones, they're too nice.

Level 7
To clear things up with the Mayan calendar:
It *-does not-* state that the world will end in 2012. As a matter of fact it simply stops there. I assume that this is because they simply haven't though about making it longer...
If you believe that the world might end because that calendar doesn't have anything after 2012...well double click on the clock in the top right corner.
Now keep increasing the year...if you use windows xp it will wrap around when you get to 2099...OMG what does that mean?? The whole world will go back in time when 2100 comes?? Of course not...the worst thing that can happen is something similar to Y2K.

The closest asteroid currently scheduled to hit the earth is around 80 years away from what I know. And it is almost certain that it won't hit it - we will either stop it using modern technology or it will hit something else...or change its path thanks to some other planet/comet/whatever.

A black hole? You've got to be kidding me...the technology we currently have cannot possibly be used reach the critical mass needed to create singularity.

What you really should be afraid of is people themselves. A war is likely to destroy the mankind, or at least most of it.

Not to mention the paranoia, panic and all the other crap people start with discussions like this.
Whoever bothers himself with things like this is certainly
Another lobotomy patient.

Is the world going to end anytime soon? Just wait and see.

Level 18
To clear things up with the Mayan calendar:
It *-does not-* state that the world will end in 2012. As a matter of fact it simply stops there. I assume that this is because they simply haven't though about making it longer...
If you believe that the world might end because that calendar doesn't have anything after 2012...well double click on the clock in the top right corner.
Now keep increasing the year...if you use windows xp it will wrap around when you get to 2099...OMG what does that mean?? The whole world will go back in time when 2100 comes?? Of course not...the worst thing that can happen is something similar to Y2K.

The closest asteroid currently scheduled to hit the earth is around 80 years away from what I know. And it is almost certain that it won't hit it - we will either stop it using modern technology or it will hit something else...or change its path thanks to some other planet/comet/whatever.

A black hole? You've got to be kidding me...the technology we currently have cannot possibly be used reach the critical mass needed to create singularity.

What you really should be afraid of is people themselves. A war is likely to destroy the mankind, or at least most of it.

Not to mention the paranoia, panic and all the other crap people start with discussions like this.
Whoever bothers himself with things like this is certainly

Is the world going to end anytime soon? Just wait and see.

You are wrong is saying an Asteroid is "scheduled" to hit the earth. None are scheduled to hit the earth within the next century, probably even later, as far as we know. And you are also wrong in saying that the next closest would be in 80 years. Try 22. But you're right in saying it wont hit. You should read all the previous posts before trying to prove a point, because the lot of these have already been confirmed in other posts within this thread.

It is pretty scary though that this Asteroid/Meteor, whatever it is, will be passing through the orbit of the moon though. That is so damn close to Earth, I'm pretty sure I will be knocked out on pain medication for the entirety of the day it's planned to swing by, just in case.

Level 7
> You are wrong is saying an Asteroid is "scheduled" to hit the earth.
Fine...according to some calculations the asteroid which has the greatest (yet still very small) chance to hit the earth is 80 years away.

> Try 22.
Nonsense. Proof please.

> You should read all the previous posts before trying to prove a point
Did. Which post exactly are you referring to?

> already been confirmed in other posts within this thread.
Uh "confirmed"? By who?

Level 18
> You are wrong is saying an Asteroid is "scheduled" to hit the earth.
Fine...according to some calculations the asteroid which has the greatest (yet still very small) chance to hit the earth is 80 years away.

> Try 22.
Nonsense. Proof please.

> You should read all the previous posts before trying to prove a point
Did. Which post exactly are you referring to?

> already been confirmed in other posts within this thread.
Uh "confirmed"? By who?

Here is proof. 2029 is 22 years away, when the closest meteor to ever come near the Earth will pass by. 2 years ago it was believed this meteor had a 1 in 37 chance of hitting the Earth, but now it has about a 0 percent chance of actually hitting within the "foreseeable future". Read through the article thoroughly, you will find all this.

I was referring to the posts I made providing reference links like the one above to articles that provide accurate information on the asteroid and black hole. Confirmed by myself, and a few other users, using the linked articles and others as references.

Level 18

Not true at all, because mass increases with acceleration, so by using a particle accelerator to accelerate electrons to near-light speed they become extremely heavy, and if they collide head-on into each other there's a chance the combined force and mass could cause a black hole with an extremely small event horizon and lifespan.

On a side note, I wonder if it's possible to create a black hole with no event horizon/an event horizon with no volume...

A PC is not an abberation of space and time

The one I plan to eventually build (Provided I have the neccesary technology... which I think I'm going to need to be immortal to get) is!

Level 6
The mayian calendar tells us that the world will end someime in late december of 2012.And so far, almost all of the predictions of the mayian calendar have come to pass!

Astronomers have found a giant asteroid destined to swing by Earth so close, that it may enter Earth's orbit, destroying all life on Earth. When is it due? On a Friday the 13 in 2029. Ironic isn't it? And if it misses us, its due back on a Friday the 13 in the year 2036(I think that is the correct year), this time to hit us dead on!

What do you think about these doomsday predictions?

What do i think?

BullSh*t!

Now seriously, mayans were stupid, they suddenly dissappeared, no conquist, no meteor, no diseases, WTF killed 'em?

And in the Age of Empires 2 The Conquerors, they were insanely "The WorsT" empire. FULL STOP.

====================== <(oo<) =============================

I have an idea, Hell with warcraft 3 and WE, lets start together a great Black Hole creator machine, we can RULE the world! :infl_thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 27
What do i think?

BullSh*t!

Now seriously, mayans were stupid, they suddenly dissappeared, no conquist, no meteor, no diseases, WTF killed 'em?

And in the Age of Empires 2 The Conquerors, they were insanely "The WorsT" empire. FULL STOP.

====================== <(oo<) =============================

I have an idea, Hell with warcraft 3 and WE, lets start together a great Black Hole creator machine, we can RULE the world! :infl_thumbs_up:

ROFL U FUCKING INSANE FREAKING MANIAK !!!!! o_O WE ARE ALL FUCKING CRAZY !!!! ....

Another way how the world could end? ... well i thought of it .. al those 14 year old girls pretending pregnants and all and 11 olds drinking beer and smoking shit... well they dont go focus on school anymore and they get kiked of school and they get no good job and so the economy of the land collapses the virus spreads itselfs every country falls .. not-economical countries crawl to the economical countries but they dont last long either and then suddenly every just do what he likes ending up in the stone age with dumb ppl that dont know shit ;)

Its a funny way i know,probably never gonna happen,but if its gonna happen it would take MAAAAAAAAAAANY years :p im insane i know ;)

Level 2
TBH, the only way i see mankind dying is from a wandering black hole which do exist. and the only way we would know it was about to destroy our solar system is changes in our weather and night sky. Which seems to have happened.

By the way Wandering black holes would be impossible to escape.

Just think about it. We would be ripped off of earth molecule by molecule.
First our body would be ripped in half, and as that half got closer to the hole, it would be ripped in half again and again and again.

And this is a real threat that could easily happen anytime.

The Truth said:
Initially, scientists believed we had nothing to fear, because black holes were thought of as fairly stationary.

"Then, in the year 2000, all hell broke loose," Kaku says. "At that point, we had conclusive evidence that there are wandering black holes — nomads, renegades — right next to us in our own backyard of a galaxy."

Level 18
TBH, the only way i see mankind dying is from a wandering black hole which do exist. and the only way we would know it was about to destroy our solar system is changes in our weather and night sky. Which seems to have happened.

By the way Wandering black holes would be impossible to escape.

Just think about it. We would be ripped off of earth molecule by molecule.
First our body would be ripped in half, and as that half got closer to the hole, it would be ripped in half again and again and again.

And this is a real threat that could easily happen anytime.

LOL you are ridiculous. You don't know anything. First of all, we would know about any wandering black holes that would be big enough to consume the Earth long before they did so, because we would see light and other planets/debri/gases/etc. getting sucked into it. Second, we would be long dead before we got sucked off of the planet, for our atmosphere would be the first to go- meaning we could not survive.

Anyways, your theory about it being a very real threat and something that could easily happen is completely made up, please provide proof with your arguments.

The nearest black hole to our planet is 1600 light years from Earth in the direction of Sagittarius, orbiting V4641. - SPACE.COM

This is hardly a threat in the near future of our solar system.

Level 45
i think this is getting too far..

whether it it be the antichrist, 3 horsemen, blackhole, famine or a huge ass flying rock we will ALL die anyway. With or without proof we will die and it cant be stoped, so no point insulting eachother over such inevitable things.

Whether it be in 3 minute, 5years, a lifetime or another 1000yrs, Its fate.

Level 18
Your point is? None of us ever said we weren't going to die. I'm correcting some uneducated people in here though so other vulnerable people don't get these ideas in their heads. No one needs to be scared of a meteor hitting earth or a black hole sucking the earth in just because they heard some stupid kid say it on a website. That's why I'm making sure no one will believe these ridiculous, unfounded claims.

Level 18
LOL you are ridiculous. You don't know anything. First of all, we would know about any wandering black holes that would be big enough to consume the Earth long before they did so, because we would see light and other planets/debri/gases/etc. getting sucked into it. Second, we would be long dead before we got sucked off of the planet, for our atmosphere would be the first to go- meaning we could not survive.

We wouldn't see anything being sucked in, at least not past the event horizon (And in truth a fair bit before), because no light would be reflecting off the objects being sucked in and back to our eyes! And also, the gravitational force would likely accelerate the objects beyond the speed at which our eye can see anyway.

-*meow*

Level 2

Anyways, your theory about it being a very real threat and something that could easily happen is completely made up, please provide proof with your arguments.

The nearest black hole to our planet is 1600 light years from Earth in the direction of Sagittarius, orbiting V4641. - SPACE.COM

This is hardly a threat in the near future of our solar system.

Actually wandering black holes are a threat. Since we cant actually see them so we don't know where all of them are.
" Hell Breaking Loose

Initially, scientists believed we had nothing to fear, because black holes were thought of as fairly stationary.

"Then, in the year 2000, all hell broke loose," Kaku says. "At that point, we had conclusive evidence that there are wandering black holes — nomads, renegades — right next to us in our own backyard of a galaxy."

Fortunately, scientists say the probability of a black hole heading straight toward Earth and swallowing us whole is highly unlikely. But what would happen to us if one entered our solar system and came close to Earth?

Although scientists haven't directly observed a black hole (since a black hole swallows light), they have observed the effect of a black hole on surrounding material. Astronomers say the first sign of a black hole's approach would be subtle changes in the night sky. The gravity from a black hole would distort Earth's orbit and we'd begin to notice differences in the orbits of other planets and stars in the galaxy. "

The closer a black hole gets to Earth, the worse the disruptions would become. But even from a billion miles away from our solar system, a black hole would still cause a disruption in Earth's orbit, leading to changes in our tides.

If a rogue black hole ever closed in on our solar system and crept up next to Earth, the resulting havoc would seem like the wildest science fiction. Either Earth would career out of its orbit, spinning out of the solar system, or in the opposite direction, toward the sun, and we'd suffer a deadly warming.

In either scenario, a black hole closing on Earth would cause our home planet to be literally ripped apart and swallowed whole.
"

Now a giant black hole would be noticed decades in advance, granted we wouldnt be able to do anything about it.
Another problem is smaller black holes would not be noticed before obliterating our earth.(very unlikely)

The probability is low but no worry for the death of life for at least a billion years.

Level 18
Actually wandering black holes are a threat. Since we cant actually see them so we don't know where all of them are.
" Hell Breaking Loose

Fortunately, scientists say the probability of a black hole heading straight toward Earth and swallowing us whole is highly unlikely. But what would happen to us if one entered our solar system and came close to Earth?

Although scientists haven't directly observed a black hole (since a black hole swallows light), they have observed the effect of a black hole on surrounding material. Astronomers say the first sign of a black hole's approach would be subtle changes in the night sky. The gravity from a black hole would distort Earth's orbit and we'd begin to notice differences in the orbits of other planets and stars in the galaxy. "

The closer a black hole gets to Earth, the worse the disruptions would become. But even from a billion miles away from our solar system, a black hole would still cause a disruption in Earth's orbit, leading to changes in our tides.

If a rogue black hole ever closed in on our solar system and crept up next to Earth, the resulting havoc would seem like the wildest science fiction. Either Earth would career out of its orbit, spinning out of the solar system, or in the opposite direction, toward the sun, and we'd suffer a deadly warming.

In either scenario, a black hole closing on Earth would cause our home planet to be literally ripped apart and swallowed whole.
"

Now a giant black hole would be noticed decades in advance, granted we wouldnt be able to do anything about it.
Another problem is smaller black holes would not be noticed before obliterating our earth.(very unlikely)

The probability is low but no worry for the death of life for at least a billion years.

Much better reading here :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 18

You're overestimating the long-range effects of a black hole. A billion miles is long bloody way, and their gravitational pull isn't that huge at that range, not unless you have a truely gigantic black hole like the one the Milky Way has formed around.

-*meow*

Level 9
Well, Jupiter is the one with a gravitational pull far greater than ours, it has protected us from Meteorites for centuries, Its a very slight chance it could hit or even come close. Blackhole? Yes of course everyone knows theyre real.
Sun Exploding??? its getting bigger as we speak!, mercury will be gone soon and people think the ozone layer is making the global weather....its not, the suns gettin bigger GET USED TO IT :p.

Level 7
Regarding to the world condition, I guess it's a good thing. And anyway, the sun will explode and THIS will be unevitable doom. Even if we go on "Mars", the sun won't be anymore. After an explosion, a sun can transform into a super nova which lead to a black hole or a neutron star. Or if the sun is not heavy enough, in our case, it is not heavy at all, it will simply dissapear after. And if we are on an another planet without the sun, it will get cold.

Look, you know as me that nothing is eternal, in the end, all sun will disapear, all heat source will vanish, the Galaxy will come near of each other, and will form a big rock that will be colder and colder, to the absolute 0 and then it will be the calm for eternity, that is my theory...

Level 7
And sorry for double post but the black hole are so HEAVY that they lure anything, even the light, that's wht we can't see them. A black hole can absorb anything, no matter it's mass.

But a quazar is something else than a black hole, much more bigger and much more dangerous... Search and u will find.

I hope I spelled it corectly :p

Level 9
But, the sun will explode in about 2 million years, wouldent u think we would be in another galaxy if the way technology is advancing?

I also wonder...What about the other millions of galaxies? are we the only living life form on earth? Of course not, its been Half Proven!! On Europa (1 of jupiters many moons) Has existance of Frozen water, so maybe some living Organisms could still be there, frozen.... Plus, what about other Galaxies we cant just be the 1 planet out of a Ka-Zillion planets that has life can we?

(god i love astrology :p)

Also, what about a very, very, very slight chance of an Invasion of Aliens (im not joking at all) everyone knows Worm Holes Exist, imaginein another galaxy another species of living beings went into a Worm Hole and ended up In our Galaxy? its very possible but a chance of 1 - 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 it will ever happen. go on, laugh if u want to, but im 100% serious! i know aliens exist, lets not call em aliens, another species!

Last edited:
Level 3
Ok, look at mars for a second. Nice, barren, wasteland. Once upon a time it was earth like, nice atmosphere, liquid water. All that nice stuff. Then, due to the fact that its a TINY little thing, the outer core (liquid molten metal) froze over. It was too small to hold heat properly. No core=no polarity=no protection from solar wind. The solar wind, over the course of about 2 billion years, STRIPPED the atmosphere off the planet. Which is really cool, in a sort of world ending way. It also bathed the martian surface in radiation beyond any survivable levels (still being bathed in radiation). That is what polarity is. Eventually (say around 5-6 billion years, give or take 100 million) earth's magnetic field will collapse from core cooling.
Now for the other bs. The sun will NOT go nova (blow up as you put it). It doesn't have nearly enough mass. (You would have to multiply the solar mass by about 6 to get what is needed for a nova). What will happen in about 3-4 billion years is this: the sun will collapse into a white dwarf.
Now, as for the black hole. Fairly possible. It is also possible that an atom sized one has already hit the earth. (the tusgunga incident (not sure on the spelling)). Read the book Singularity. The entire plot of the book is just so much bs, a good read, mind, but the scientific facts are fairly relevent. The event in northern russia is still unexplained, but the idea presented in the book was that an atom sized black hole smashed into the tundra. It was refuted saying that no similar incident occured on the other side of the world (where it would have passed through). But the author explains that by suggesting that earth's gravity captured the black hole, and that it was now orbiting the central mass INSIDE the earths core. Black holes are a real possibility. Fortunatly, we would notice their gravitational effects LONG before we could even see them. (Look pluto is drifting away!) But seriously, they arnt very likely.
Anything I missed? As for humankind killing themselves, well, I have more faith in humanity than that. We have been to the edge of the cliff, overlooking oblivion. And we were struck in awe by it. And we backed away. This isnt some cold war threat of nuclear holocaust. Humans are usually more willing to control their actions than some would give them credit. Hope this wasn't too much of an eyesore, and thanks for reading. --HDS

Level 7
if only they would close this damn thread, imo it is used to scare children, you know how you get a lot of 8 - 12 year olds (not mentioning anyone (especially not the wand mirror)) wandering the sites causing trouble, 8 - 12 year olds need lives, i think this site should be open to those who need lives, what their facing up to in future life...

Level 18
Okay, I just read it in National Geographic. A meteor was scheduled to hit in 2029. This was predicted in 2001. There is no chance that it will hit now.

Way to be late, Brad. lol. If you would have read previous posts I already said and proved this with outside links :witch_doc_sad: But it's ok, you're still right. At least you're not saying something stupid like "ITS GNNA HIT UZzZZZ!1"

Level 12
Whatever it is, you guys are all right...
One day a meteorite may crush earth...
One day Global Warming will sap all living things...
One day the Sun will explode and make the most Chaos over living things...

But I say this to you, it is not untill we realize that we will not exist anymore if everyone loses faith.

We survived over the last million years and we shall do so if we do not stop trying. So my suggestions is, stop chit chatting about this stuff and face reality, what do we have to build to survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.