• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

World of Warcraft (Pre-TBC) : Warcraft 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
prebcwc3%201.jpg

news.gif
It has been a long time since there was an update on this project, but I feel like people do not know this project is still being worked towards.

For those of you who do not know, there is a map that is being used as a playground/testing zone of everything we are planning on using when we start World of Warcraft WC3. This map is called Forgotten Storms. Please scroll down to the Forgotten Storms section of the thread and read about this revolutionary map!

If you had read the last project update, you should already know that we have changed our project's goal. We are not going to recreate World of Warcraft exactly as it was in WoW, we are only going to use it as a base to create our World of Warcraft. Everything that we will be using from WoW will be taken from Pre-TBC and we will be creating our own world around it.
The era of which these maps will take place will be between WoW and Warcraft 3, but we might rewrite a little bit of the history, and when we get at doing anything that has to do with Outland or Northrend, we are not going to desecrate Warcraft the way the expansions had done.

Right now you might be asking yourself what we mean by "mapS". We are, of course, talking about the final project. Our completed World of Warcraft WC3 will not be one 480X480 map, it will be a large number of maps, one for each zone or dungeon or raid. For example, there will be one map for Elwyne Forest and one map for Durotar. You will be able to -save your character in one map and -load your character in another map, allowing you to take your character with you anywhere in Azeroth. Every single WoW WC3 map will, and always will be, playable and hostable on Battle.net. I will take it upon myself to purchase hosting bots for all the maps that are released, each with a name like "WoWWC3-(name of a zone)" so that you can easily find a game with the "/whois" command.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

OLD PROJECT MEMBERS: (Unconfirmed if they are still working for the project)
Palooo3 - Terrainer
Dr. Boom - Triggerer
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

i.gif
know what your thinking: is this possible? Well its fairly difficult and it will not be possible without a loyal, dedicated team with the right mind set. All files will need to have quality reduced to the point where they still good presentable, but file size is at a minimum. This, obviously still isnt enough, and the truth which makes this whole project possible but requires an unimaginable amount of work is this: There will be a total of 27-33 maps (one for each major zone). You will be able to -save your character in the Elwyn Forest map, and later -load your character in Winterspring or Felwood. I will take it upon myself to get at least 27-33 host bots, even it it means i need one Warcraft 3 Battlechest for each one.

t61847.gif
he maps will be released systematically as they come (from lower level to higher level). Every map will have file data that can be saved with characters (I.E. spell icons, character model, ect.). Each map will also have model/texture data that is only used in the zone that the map is recreating. So you will not have models from Durotar Centaurs in the Eastern Plaguelands map files. Any icon that can use a substitute will use a substitute. So if there are two of the same shirts, one of which is blue and one of which is grey, only one icon will be chosen to represent any items that use the corresponding icon.

w.gif
e will spend time on Every Single texture to reduce its file size as much as possible while maintaining the best quality; different methods/settings work better in terms of quality depending on the image when reducing file size. The same will be done with all models and sounds.

f71704.gif
eatures range from a bank, every quest that is possible to be implemented into Warcraft 3, out door dungeons, PVP, and repuation gains. Attribute systems (I.E. armor systems, crit strike, ect.) will be implemented. We are planning on also involving all 5 attributes, which will be a difficult but possible task. The "In Combat" system will be implemented if possible. Seeing as it wont be possible to implement an auction house, players might meet up to trade in major cities and the sort.

t61847.gif
he user interface will be totally remapped and there a satisfactory movement and camera system in place as well as hotkeys. Smooth gameplay is a must. The map will need to have the feel of WoW in order to meet its purpose. All possible little things that can be done to make the map better will be done, even if it means mindless hours of work improvising icons or sounds.

f71704.gif
ailure is not an option in this project. If something needs to get done, and you do not stop until it gets done, it will get done. There will be NO small scaling this project, NO slacking in quality, and most importantly, the project MUST be able to run on battle.net.

i.gif
have been working on resources for a several weeks, and been planning this project for even longer, but I feel now is the time for recruitment.

Forgotten Storms
Forgotten Storms currently features a Full Screen Character Creation system, a Third Person Camera, and an Arrow Key movement System. I am currently working on a Full Screen Inventory system and I am trying to make it as high-quality and efficient as possible. When the Inventory system is done I will install the Strength Agility Stamina Intellect Spirit stat-system that I am also working on and, once that is installed, I will install a Dodge, Parry, Block, Critical Strike and Spell Critical Strike system that I have already mostly figured out.

The map features well-made indoor environments. Buildings are made floor, wall, ceiling, roof and all, and some buildings have upper floors. The same goes for caves- you have a roof over your head.

Everything in the map is scaled. That means you will not have a man that is twice the size of every other man just because he is a hero, and trees will be the size of real trees.

All player models currently attack with different animations depending on what type of weapon they are using (Including Offhand and Bow). There are three different animations for each weapon type. Player models will display special animations when dodging, blocking, parrying, and casting spells.
There will be attachments for all Head, Shoulder, Chest, Belt, Feet, Wrist, and Hand slot items, as well as attachments for all weapons and shields.

underdev.gif

-The Full Screen inventory system previously mentioned

-An improved version of the Full Screen Character Creation system

-All buildings in the city that do not currently have floors, walls, roofs, and a proper interior design will be given them

-A Weather/Improved Time of Day System, in which each day has a chance to rain, or rarely snow. Days in the maps will be long (currently 30 minutes) and weather will last throughout the day. There will be a looping ambience for rain, which will change when you are inside of a building. It will not rain inside buildings, caves, or any other areas with cover. The rain will form water rings where it strikes, and when raining water can be seen pouring down the roofs of some buildings. In the further future, a skybox might be added for rainy days and puddles might form at random size/location in specific areas.
During Night Time, the outdoor environment in my map will be significantly darker during the late day or night. There will be a dramatic and improved glow and lighting to all light sources during the night or when its raining.

-The map will, hopefully in the near future, allow players with laggy computers to change their viewing distance and other graphical improvements in order to reduce lag.

-A profession system in which Players can get various jobs that affect eachother. For example, player Red might get the Blacksmith job and player Blue might get the Miner job. Player red will always have a supply of iron and other basic materials that he may purchase in his Blacksmith, but if Blue mines Iron and sends it to the Blacksmith building, he not only gets an initial pay, but he gets more money if Red buys his iron afterwards.
Red can buy Iron cheaper for every iron that Blue sends to the blacksmith. If Red wants to get a valuable material, like Truesilver or Gold, then it is only available to him when Blue mines these materials and sends them to the Blacksmith. Blue, of course, gets paid initially for sending materials and gets paid more when his materials are bought.
Meanwhile, if Red puts any items that he crafts up for sale in the store, he gets an initial pay, and the items are now sold for cheaper from the vendors. If a player buys an item that Red has crafted, Red gets payed. There are also many items that Red can craft and put up for sale in the store that are normally not sold, and the same goes for these items. Red gets paid initially, then gets paid more if the items sell.
This system can not be abused. This is because the initial pay plus the pay from the item being bought is equal to the cost that the item is being sold for.

screenshots.gif
untitled17393.jpg
untitled1 1.jpg
untitled1 2.jpg
untitled219108.jpg
untitled311797.jpg
untitled426709.jpg
untitled521029.jpg
untitled618255.jpg
untitled7.jpg
untitled8.jpg

Forgotten Storms Preview:
A preview of the Character Creation system and some Indoor and Outdoor environments
Please watch in HD and Fullscreen!

WHAT WE NEED:
  • An experienced triggerer who is fluent in Jass. Must be able to look at a script and be able to identify errors. Code must be as efficient as possible and well organized. Must be the type of person to figure things out that they havent seen before.
  • A Modeller. You must be able to reduce the size of model files while seeing to it that quality remains good, (how this is done is up to you), and to recreate models from WoW.

We will eventually need more than one of each of these.
Of course, everyone working on the map should be at least a little familiar with WoW (know what the game it, how it works, ect.).

Screenshots will be released when the starting area of Durotar is completely finished, stay tuned!
This project, when finished, will attract a lot of attention. This project, among other projects, will be put toward the cause of getting a Pre-TBC realm to be hosted by Blizzard.

signup%20transparent.gif
If you support this project, copy and paste the text below into your signature, and the project banner will appear in your signature

• [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/world-warcraft-pre-tbc-warcraft-3-a-202502/][img]http://server.myspace-shack.com/d20/prebcwc3sig.gif[/img][/url]

Last edited:

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Well if you need any info on Pre-BC I know just about everything.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I know a way to get all of the stats for every single monster in the game but its against the rules to post it. PM me if you really need to know.

Level 8
Actually me and my friend are working on Hellfire Ramparts atm.
When we finish i can help you with nice terrain, check sig for screens, also was playing wow for long.
But i do not swear anything.

We do need terrainers more than anything right now. I will send you a few screenshots of terrain just to give you a good idea of we are looking at right now.

Level 8
Good, love barrens and desert terrain and such, :p
I can work with approx same quallity,
also i can make some basic triggers and object editor,
but atm i have got my own project tho.
Have you got skype?

Yes, I have skype. We will need to organize something at some point though, as you have your project to work on and school is starting soon for me.

Level 1
Would be more interesting if you recreated the terrain using the standard wc3 models plus custom made for the wc3 engine instead of yopying them from the wow.mpw files...

Level 7
An auction system could be possible, but it'd require host bots that would be in each hosted game that would relay messages to each other.

It's been proclaimed as an idea before. Though it has some issues; bots are annoying to deal with mostly. What really drove a lot of ideas about bots before used to be Wc3 Risk which printed and saved scores (wins,kills, captures, deaths, etc) online.

As far as I know I think I could make an auction system that at least always has newly set up auction items up for grabs with at least one bot. The issue would be that the players who sold the items would most likely not be able to get money for them unless they got it added to their code on return. The hostbot would be just a text file database that would relay messages to the game by saving em and loading em later on.

In any case auction systems could incite balance issues like selling items cheaper than they usually sell for, but i think the trade aspects of it would be pretty cool.

I'd help yah guys, but I'm not that much of a WoW fan. . . And I am currently developing my own project a bit more similar to Diablo 2 that should be full-save and pretty neat. I plan to post up a recruiting thing for it soon.

There was a wc3 wow project a while back that was really massive, but it failed miserably. It had nearly new models for every single thing and was almost replicable image for image WoW, which was impressive, but it had serious issues with triggers i think mostly and after a patch or two the project started to dip off.

Last edited:
Level 8
An auction system could be possible, but it'd require host bots that would be in each hosted game that would relay messages to each other.

It's been proclaimed as an idea before. Though it has some issues; bots are annoying to deal with mostly. What really drove a lot of ideas about bots before used to be Wc3 Risk which printed and saved scores (wins,kills, captures, deaths, etc) online.

As far as I know I think I could make an auction system that at least always has newly set up auction items up for grabs with at least one bot. The issue would be that the players who sold the items would most likely not be able to get money for them unless they got it added to their code on return. The hostbot would be just a text file database that would relay messages to the game by saving em and loading em later on.

I'd help yah guys, but I'm not that much of a WoW fan. . . And I am currently developing my own project a bit more similar to Diablo 2 that should be full-save and pretty neat. I plan to post up a recruiting thing for it soon.

There was a wc3 wow project a while back that was really massive, but it failed miserably. It had nearly new models for every single thing and was almost replicable image for image WoW, which was impressive, but it had serious issues with triggers i think mostly and after a patch or two the project started to dip off.

The others failed because they were tackling their project from the wrong angle. An example of tackling this project from the right angle would be to avoid getting at the most advanced things, such as a functional auction house, and getting at the more simple but essential things, like as save/load and inventory system.

I am currently unable to make an inventory system, simply because I have never done anything like it before. I would not be asking you to do stuff like this for me, because of course I am going to learn something if I don't know it, but you seem like a very useful aspect that we could have on our team, specifically in the department of systems that include saving/loading characters and things similar to your auction house idea; that impressed me. Message me if you are interested.

Level 7
I'll think about it. I think i have what I need to do my own project resource wise though(I'm even doing some modeling jobs for my own map every now and then). Generally, the reason I don't really want to join your project is I'm not that much of a fan of "re-creating" an game because it's not nearly as original as creating your own version of a game.

Though, the fact that you said you would actually purchase host bots did intrigue me.(I'm a cheap skate, and not gonna want to pay for host bots really.)

Level 11
the map will still need all the regular models, triggers and other imported stuff so the only difference will be the terrain and local monsters.

That last mentioned part shouldn't take much of the file size so combining a few regions should be possible.

Level 8
the map will still need all the regular models, triggers and other imported stuff so the only difference will be the terrain and local monsters.

That last mentioned part shouldn't take much of the file size so combining a few regions should be possible.

Tilesets will be imported and, trust me, the accumulated size of the files that will need to be in every map (spell icons, item attachments, ect.) will be a lot. So each region will need its own map. Certain things, like the Orgrimar/Stormwind instances, will be in the same maps as the major cities, though.

Level 8
-flats

I thought of that but some regions like Barrens, Durotar and Mulgore got about the same monsters (centaur, harpy, walking pigs, walking birds etc) and should save some space.

If a model is not used in a region, though, then it wont be used in a map. For example, there will be Centaur models in the Durotar map, but not in the Elwyn Forest map, simply because it will not be used :)

Level 11
I was trying to say that combining bordering regions that share the same monsters could work if the majority of the monsters are the same type, for example:
Silverpine -Tirisfal
Eastern Plaguelands - Western Plaguelands
Barrens - Durotar - Mulgore - Thousand Needels
Shimmering Flats - Tanaris
Ashenvale - Darkshore - Teldrasil
Elwynn Forrest - Westfall

Level 8
I was trying to say that combining bordering regions that share the same monsters could work if the majority of the monsters are the same type, for example:
Silverpine -Tirisfal
Eastern Plaguelands - Western Plaguelands
Barrens - Durotar - Mulgore - Thousand Needels
Shimmering Flats - Tanaris
Ashenvale - Darkshore - Teldrasil
Elwynn Forrest - Westfall

Ahh, I like your idea, it would be possible to combine small parts of other regions to main regions :) Combining entire regions wouldn't be possible because, even with a 480X480 map, the amount of area space on the map wouldnt be enough. With the third person camera you can see how small maps really are. Adding pieces of other regions along borders is an excellent idea though :)

UPDATE:

Valley of Trails screenshots are to be released soon!

Last edited:
Level 11
Ahh, I like your idea, it would be possible to combine small parts of other regions to main regions :) Combining entire regions wouldn't be possible because, even with a 480X480 map, the amount of area space on the map wouldnt be enough. With the third person camera you can see how small maps really are. Adding pieces of other regions along borders is an excellent idea though :)

*facepalm*

well at least the planing is making progress x)

when you have a beta (or even an alpha) open il make sure to test it ;)

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Looks similar, though it just dosen't feel right (probably because this is WC3). I'd usually report this to the mods for WoW rips, but since SC2 is using them we might as well start to to.
If you need the droprates/drops for monsters just PM me, my new addon compiles the damage, loot, hp, mana, and level range info of the mobs.

Level 16
Moin moin =)

What you will do, if this project becomes to famous and blizzard reduce the host-able file size back to 4GB?^^

Joking. But what problem is, it's easy to copy terrain, doodads and these things, but what about the amount of players?. As far as I know, you can use the regular 12 playable players and script 1 or 2 more, but is this enough for a playing Alliance vs Horde?
Is is just possible, to play only one fraction in each hosted map?
But what then about Battlegrounds and Arena? You want code the other fraction then only?

Just an idea (which is easy to say but not easy to release^^): Why you don't add the cataclysm terrain and gameplay directly? (I'm not talking about the instances, new spells, talents whatever, but at least the new terrain) - like the flooded 1000needls or the storm in westfall ...

Edit: I thought about it under the shower, that you have to create the map system like this, that it fits solo and team-playing!! Because if one play only want make quests, he don't need others at all. If you make only one region/instance on one map, then it will be very hard to find the places for questing/leveling/playing what you need

Greetings and Peace
Dr. Boom

Last edited:
Level 18
480x480 is big. It would be really cool if someone made something to break that limit though and maybe also the filesize limit to something like 25mb.

For the people with a awesome computer your right yet Warcraft III isn´t made for such a thing and so many players shall lagg.

Btw awesome project it seems like Craka_J has inspired you :p ? Anyway goodluck with the project.

O and making entire Classic WoW on a 480x480 map is possible if you made every doodad smaller and the camera closer and get better tilesets. If you use the normal size than you could make half of Classic WoW on a map.

Level 8
Just an idea (which is easy to say but not easy to release^^): Why you don't add the cataclysm terrain and gameplay directly? (I'm not talking about the instances, new spells, talents whatever, but at least the new terrain) - like the flooded 1000needls or the storm in westfall ...

Edit: I thought about it under the shower, that you have to create the map system like this, that it fits solo and team-playing!! Because if one play only want make quests, he don't need others at all. If you make only one region/instance on one map, then it will be very hard to find the places for questing/leveling/playing what you need

Greetings and Peace
Dr. Boom

Cataclysm Content will not be part of the map, this project will be exclusively Pre-TBC. As for the multiplayer aspect of the map, making quests/quest chains available for multiple players will be very easy. And finding places for questing and leveling will be easy too. I mean, when you make a new character, you spend hours in one region before you leave for another one. A player can just quest in one region for hours and even then there will be stuff to do there.

In regards to instances, those will probably be maps that only allow 5 players, and in most cases I would expect people to meet up with friends and make a private game where they have a good group composition.

Status
Not open for further replies.