• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Windows 7 or 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I heard that there is a trial beta vesion of win8. Is that good or bad?
Its good if your a software developer as it gives you access to the new libraries and components before some of them get back ported to Windows 7 in a service pack.

It is horrible as a normal user though because most software does not offically support it (until W8 is released when they will start supporting it offically).

Windows 8 will in theory be a better opperating system because of new technology being intigrated into it. However you must remember that this is over a year away so it might be worth using W7 and then upgrading to W8 a year or two after it is released (when support is wide spread).

Level 6
Stick to Windows 7.
Windows 8 looks crappy judging by all the videos on YouTube.
I bet it's going to be the next Vista.

grrWN.jpg

Edit: I agree. The aero stuff and so on came with vista, but vista turned to be a ram hog. Windows 7 also has the same stuff, maybe more, but it beats vista on a same computer. So I guess windows 9 will be like better windows 8. Like vista and 7.

@Lautanen
I realized the same thing :D

Windows 7 uses a very small amount of RAM for me.
The explorer is using about 30MB at the moment and other processes are using about 10-15MB :p

Windows 8 introduces many new technologies which should enhance performance. These include better display buffer modes and improved Multi Threading.

Well yeah, but it's not all about speed, there's also the need to present an intuitive GUI.
I really hope they don't start acting like those stupid facebook developer-fags and change the GUI drastically :L

Level 14
Have you guys seen the new windows 8 bluescreen ^.^?

Windows8bluescreen.png

It's nice to see that they've finally created a bluescreen that doesn't dissapear in half a second without giving you the time to press ctrl + Pause Break in order to freeze it.
For me that was the most anoying part about bluescreens in windows 7.
Not nessecarely though since that totally depends on the situation, but still.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Computer systems should never BSoD anymore. Thousands of people over the past decade have done research into opperating systems to try and make them as stable as possible.

The only time a BSoD should occur is...
1. A hardware fault. This can be anything that causes hardware to violate its specified behaviour. Two examples are cosmic rays causing bit flips and meta-stability violating binary logic. Obvious examples are defective hardware like graphic cards but this is more expectable.
2. A third party driver which needs to interact with the kernal but is buggy (so it damages the kernal in an unrecoverable way). Common examples are the occasional Graphic Driver update and many custom driver programs that laptops are bundled with. This has become less common with Windows Vista and newer opperating systems as a driver crash will no longer cause a BSoD as it will attempt to restart the driver instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.