• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Thinking of buying a laptop so I wanted to understand Windows 8 a little better since it comes preloaded with it. So Windows 8 was introduced. It was designed to be used on all devices such as desktops, tablets and phones.

The big changes which opens the OS use to mobile devices is the UI change. Sure it may be useful for mobile devices like tablets and phones, but it seems like a hindrance to desktop users. I think I can manage applications better in Windows 7 than windows 8.

So Windows 8.1 was introduced to cater for desktop users. What is the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 in terms of navigation, search functions, navigation in system settings too, etc? I just want to know if I can pretend my Windows 8 is actually an updated Windows 7 without the bullsh*t of the Windows 8 UI.

Level 15
UI is subjective. If you dont like the win8, install win7. Besides, Win7 PCs and laptops wont be sold anymore after october this year and all sales of Win7 retail have been halted.

So atm you are going to buy a Win8 laptop anyway, so why not try it for yourself and see if you like it, if not, install win7 on it.

Besides, most people dont have time to list out all the differences, but to be blunt, from a technical standpoint, Win8 is better, faster, more efficient and overall better. But, the UI is a wreck (IMO).

Also if you're buying a low end laptop, I suggest you stick with Win8.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
If you are buying new for your main OS I would advise Windows 8 as it is more future proof than 7 and can do more. If you already have Windows 7 I would recommend holding off until Windows 9 or something comes along that really needs Windows 8 (in case 8 gets an extended life time like XP had).

There is no regression between 7 and 8 (next to some interface changes which is based on opinion more than fact) so 8 is better than 7. As such there is no reason to get 7 over 8 if you are buying new.

Level 15
Well, its certain that directx 12 will work on all directx 11 cards, but it is still uncertain if ms will make it a win8, win9 exclusive, or release it on all three systems.

Level 15
Unless they really want to force people into upgrading to windows 8

Well they really are trying to make people switch from Win7 to Win8. Heck half of their updates were just adress the complaints of their users about the UI. They also recently dropped the prices of Win8 for PC and laptop manufacturers by 70% and made windows 8 (rt as well) free for any mobile device under 7 inches.

But considering Win9 is coming out next year, they were a bit late with the Win8 party treats.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
DirectX 12 is aimed at promoting development for Windows powered systems and not as a promotional tool for buying Windows.

Direct3D 12 is a huge change to the API. Unlike from 9 to 10 which needed new hardware, D3D12 will work fine on existing D3D11 compatible hardware as the API is designed more around how D3D11 compatible hardware works rather than for easy programming. A big part of D3D12 is that Microsoft and NVidia have been working together to make it, so the API does not need changes in hardware from the current hardware. You may find that compatibility for DirectX12 is entirely driver related so Windows 7 will get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.