1. The 3rd Melee Mapping Contest is ON! Join in on a ride of a 4v4 melee experience!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have a new contest going on right now! Join the 11th Music Contest! You are to make a Cinematic modern sound-track for this contest, so come and compete with other people for fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Aftermath has been revealed! Choose which entry should win in the 19th Terraining Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice

Seven: your days are numbered

Discussion in 'Computer Tech' started by pyf, Jan 11, 2019 at 4:56 PM.

1. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    As a friendly reminder:

Microsoft will discontinue Windows 7 SP1 extended support next year, on January 14, 2020. After that, technical assistance and automatic updates will no longer be made available for the product.

For Windows 7 SP1, the end of mainstream support had already been reached on January 13, 2015.

After January 14, 2020, if your PC is running Windows 7 SP1, it will no longer receive software updates, including security updates, from Microsoft. In addition, Microsoft customer service will no longer be available to provide Windows 7 technical support.

After support has ended, Windows will continue to start and run. Also, Windows 7 can still be installed and activated after end of support, Microsoft says.

Microsoft will offer paid Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) through January 2023. The Windows 7 ESU will be sold on a per-device basis and the price will increase each year. Windows 7 ESUs will be available to all Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise customers in Volume Licensing, with a discount to customers with Windows software assurance, Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Education subscriptions. In addition, Office 365 ProPlus will be supported on devices with active Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) through January 2023. This means that customers who purchase the Windows 7 ESU will be able to continue to run Office 365 ProPlus.

Windows for embedded devices (such as ATMs or gas pumps) have lifecycle dates that sometimes differ from versions of Windows that are used on PC devices. *cough!*
    :grin:

Sources:

- Windows 7 support will end on January 14, 2020 - Windows Support
    - Helping customers shift to a modern desktop - Microsoft 365 Blog
    - Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Windows Support

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 5:04 PM
  2. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dammit! I like my Windows 7 :(

3. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nothing prevents you from still liking (and using) it, even after 7's End of Service. Except a critical hardware failure, of course.

4. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes, I might do that for a while, but eventually I'll have to switch to a more reliable version of Windows, with fewer security issues. :)

5. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    more reliable? such as?

6. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Sieben: I trust there will be no 7pocalypse in 2020, just like there has not been any XPocalypse in 2014 (and counting!), nor any "whatever"pocalypse to begin with (remember the Y2K bug that supposedly would have sent us back in time? Or the Cobol bug?).

Windows 7 is as reliable as any other OS, and maybe a bit more.

Regarding security issues, please have a look at this first, and then despair:
    Bulletins | US-CERT
    :mwahaha:
    (courtesy of US-CERT)

Therefore, maybe you are counting too much on the security updates provided by Microsoft alone, to "protect" your PC. As for me who is using Windows XP, I am surfing as admin, my OS is patched up to April 2014, and I am facing no such issues. Where is the XPocalypse I was promised by web journalists, dammit?

To better secure his/her PC, what one needs to do is imho to install a few no-nonsense third-party programs, configure a few settings here and there, and not do any stupid stuff. Period.

Maybe it is worth pointing out here that despite the end of extended support for Windows XP on April 2014, its POSReady 2009 variant (which is the one embedded into devices) is still updated up to this day in January 2019. For reference and documentation purposes, I am providing below a list of recent patches (all of them being served through Windows Update on a regular monthly basis) for these embedded versions of the OS:

June 2018 - July 2018 - August 2018 - September 2018 - October 2018 - November 2018 - December 2018 - January 2019

Of course these updates include security ones, but also at least one major *feature* update. Feature updates are theoretically dropped after the end of mainstream support (which for the record was in... 2009 for Windows XP iirc).

As you can also see, EoL software (like Office 2003 / 2007) is still alive and well, and the news of its death have been greatly exaggerated.

Of course, the main variants of officially unsupported OSes might also still get security updates one day or another regardless (here as downloadable hotfixes only).

Also, keep in mind that development plans for Microsoft software may change without notice (nor an official explanation afaik). As an example, who remembers that Microsoft was supposed to stop releasing virus protection for Windows XP through its Security Essentials application since... July 14, 2015?

Latest definition updates for Windows Defender Antivirus and other Microsoft antimalware - Windows Defender Security Intelligence

With the Malware Definition updates (as well as with Microsoft Update), one will eventually notice that owners of a Retail licence are not served equally when compared to owners of an OEM licence, or to owners of a Volume one.

... but anyway, back to Windows 7:

It is therefore unlikely that Microsoft will end the development / support of Windows 7 SP1 even after January 2023.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 3:42 PM
  7. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm not foreseeing an apocalypse, but as an average user of Windows, I am not aware of all the subtleties of computer security.

I don't :) But I assumed updating Windows was part of the protection, at least.

I try to do that. I mainly use CCleaner, uBlock, Malwarebytes, and I don't visit fishy websites. I've never had any issue so far. I don't know if it's enough though, any suggestion?

...which gives me time. I'll have changed my computer by then :p

Any recent up-to-date Windows without security issues. I don't know what Windows will be available in 2020-2023!