• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Windows 7 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
They said Windows 7 is a 'remake' of vista but then without the billion of problems vista had.
That's what they say.

Since it's still a Beta I'm going to wait, when the real deal is there and the comments about it are good then I shall get it. (A must condition is that I can play games on it.. xd.)
Well I hope it wont suck up one huge ram.

Level 19
They said Windows 7 is a 'remake' of vista but then without the billion of problems vista had.
That's what they say.

Since it's still a Beta I'm going to wait, when the real deal is there and the comments about it are good then I shall get it. (A must condition is that I can play games on it.. xd.)
Well I hope it wont suck up one huge ram.

I can say that it runs very well with games. It even supports games by automatically downloading updates patches etc.

Level 19
Can you also turn off auto updates? xD Most games I have are just 1.0 instead 1.2 or w/e because sometimes the updates are just plain stupid.

There are options.

Attachments

• Game.png
    Game.png
    333.9 KB · Views: 126
Level 17
Wow. That's progress.

Well there was hardly anything wrong with the layout.
It's just the hidden progresses that vista uses that cause the bad thing.
900Mb? Wtf they should be able to do it in at least half of that.

EDIT: brad.dude03
Could you ctr + alt + del and check the amount of ram that Windows 7 uses? That's interesting information on my account.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Disabling stuff like the aero effect and fire walls and not using in instant messanger would bring it down to like 1GB
But really, with 4 GB ram, you still have about 75% of it to use.

However they really should optimize it so that you can run up an "game mode" or something where all non needed stuff is unloaded from RAM for more available memory.

Honestly, what I want to see is windows to incorperate 2 functions. Browser mode, where it is allright to use 1.2 GB ram for the OS as you will hardly run anything that ram intensive + you still have over half free. And Game / process mode, where by a lot of the functions of the OS are not loaded to overall use less processing power so that you can run games or process intensive tasks faster.

Level 19
Disabling stuff like the aero effect and fire walls and not using in instant messanger would bring it down to like 1GB
But really, with 4 GB ram, you still have about 75% of it to use.

However they really should optimize it so that you can run up an "game mode" or something where all non needed stuff is unloaded from RAM for more available memory.

Honestly, what I want to see is windows to incorperate 2 functions. Browser mode, where it is allright to use 1.2 GB ram for the OS as you will hardly run anything that ram intensive + you still have over half free. And Game / process mode, where by a lot of the functions of the OS are not loaded to overall use less processing power so that you can run games or process intensive tasks faster.

I'll let them know.

Level 15
It shouldn't increase that much when shifting from 32-bit to 64-bit. Primary, the size increase is 64-bit memory pointers and certain 64-bit instructions (in 64-bit native programs). Other than that, a number of memory structures remain the same size whether 64-bit or 32-bit, especially true when running 32-bit programs.

Level 19
It shouldn't increase that much when shifting from 32-bit to 64-bit. Primary, the size increase is 64-bit memory pointers and certain 64-bit instructions (in 64-bit native programs). Other than that, a number of memory structures remain the same size whether 64-bit or 32-bit, especially true when running 32-bit programs.

All the apps I'm running are 64 bit by nature.

Level 1
Idle 32-bit Windows-7 stats:
attachment.php

Edit: A little tweaking takes it down nearly 200mb.
45509d1231866167-windows-7-d-windows-7-bit-tweaking-.png

Attachments

• Windows 7.png
    Windows 7.png
    96.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Windows 7 (A bit of Tweaking).png
    Windows 7 (A bit of Tweaking).png
    87.4 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Level 36
My vista takes up 500MB when idle. But think about this. Windows 95 probably takes up like 25MB. As new operating systems come out, so do new and more powerful machines. While when XP came out the standard amount of ram for a good computer was 1-1.5GB, now when Windows 7 is coming out the standard for a good computer is more like 8GB. So the ratios prove that Windows 7 is actually better when compared with machines of the time it came out.

Answer in a nutshell: Upgrade your b0x!

Status
Not open for further replies.