• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What's the point of giving credit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen many people actually credit the hive, wc3c, TheHelper, XGM, and so on, as communities, so that's also a nice way to put this. This way people know that if they need a resource from the map, they will find them at one of those sites. Seriously, I don'[t see why there is such a huge discussion with so many "opinionated" people, when this is, really, very straightforward.

Level 14
It is hard and time consuming to put only names on the list already if it takes a lot of imports, but if adding resource name and resource link, oh, that would be a lot of work. It is also sometimes hard to track what is already mentioned in the list, for example, you use an import in early beginning and another import of same author in the ending and it takes time and focus already to track the name if it was already mentioned in a big list.

It is unwanted and distracting to keep mind on map stuffs and suddently jump to links, resources names and credit list polishing, it distract from work.

I honestly still don't see a point of mentioning all this additional information due to reasons in my previous posts.

I think poll should be opened about it and let the majority decide if changes are needed, even though it would be resource authors vs users.

I am not a resourse author yet I make that topic. It's really not like that. Some logical order is just missing here in the hive. It is so simple. Instead of people going on what I call 'importing frenzy' when they browse resourses and import like 20-30 of them for 5 minutes thinking 'i will find authors if I finish the map', they shoud be simply importing stuff one by one and writing down their authors-resourses in a notepad for later use. Doesn't seem much time-consuming to me if you do it right from the start.

Level 29
Fasolace said:
There is a problem with that. What is the resource does not go under the same name in the map as the resource itself?
Easy, sample <Name of Spell in map (Fire Wave)>, <Author>, <Link>

I recommend link coz other people maybe interested in that spell/resource and as for the search,
it's not hard but the search engine cannot search for Fire if the real name of the resource is water...

Fasolace said:
And imagine of you have like 100+ people to credit and is using the credits in an intro...
Not at the intro but at the front page of his submission and at the quest logs...

Level 31
Personally I think it is a terrible idea to flood quest log with credits, it is not a place for it. If making a decent map, and not some kind of fun fun multiplayer pew pew game, quest log should not contain credits, it is just out of place, especially when many quests are used.

Personally I think it is a terrible idea to flood quest log with credits, it is not a place for it. If making a decent map, and not some kind of fun fun multiplayer pew pew game, quest log should not contain credits, it is just out of place, especially when many quests are used.

This I completely agree with. If it is a singleplayer RPG then credits can be put at the end, just like you've done with that 3rd person map of yours.

Level 19
That way, if you point out to some game and check its credits, nobody mentions the resource a certain individual has made or worked on, only the sphere in which he has worked, so basically your argument here is completely invalid.

So if a person is interested in the works of this individual, he will search the web and see if he has made anything else for other projects.

I'm not saying we shouldn't say which resource belong to someone and that kind of shit, but in most cases peoples save this information to just because certain parts of the map (most commonly referred to the quests tab) have a character limitations and it will not contain all the information that has to be added.

Level 31
That way, if you point out to some game and check its credits, nobody mentions the resource a certain individual has made or worked on, only the sphere in which he has worked, so basically your argument here is completely invalid.
What is invalid of Lordkoon? He didn't put any argument, he just said what talk was about here and he was 100% right. There are maps, for example, with authors linked to resources, etc, so your argument is completely invalid, since you said *nobody*.
but in most cases peoples save this information to just because certain parts of the map (most commonly referred to the quests tab) have a character limitations and it will not contain all the information that has to be added.
I see no limitations there. If you dare to spoil quest log with credits, do few or even more quests referring to credits, this way you have no bounds. You may say that on screen there is also a limited amount of text that can be displayed at once, yes, then display a bunch of text after another bunch of text - no limitations.

(Not saying we must credit that way)

Level 14

That makes completely no sense at all. We discuss if exactly what you said (not giving full info on credits but just the area of work of given author) is the right thing to do, or as you called them '' which resource belong to someone and that kind of shit'' .
Please, I am trying to make a discussion here and entering it by this way:
Credits = respect.
End of story. PERIOD.
is only unneeded spam which I think you can reffer as a 'noob moment' in another topic here on the hive.

Status
Not open for further replies.